Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is 3% battery degradation a lot for the Tesla Model 3 LR RWD

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car specs: Model 3 LR RWD with 42,000km/26,000 miles after 1 year 4 months.

Situation: I've been driving and charging the vehicle to 90% every night. Last couple of days I noticed that the car only charge to 87% now. 3% degradation seems high for 1 year use.

Questions:
1) Are any other owners experiencing a similar situation?
2)Do I need to re-calibrate the battery?
3)Should I contact Tesla?

Car specs: Model 3 LR RWD with 42,000km/26,000 miles after 1 year 4 months.

Situation: I've been driving and charging the vehicle to 90% every night. Last couple of days I noticed that the car only charge to 87% now. 3% degradation seems high for 1 year use.

Questions:
1) Are any other owners experiencing a similar situation?
2)Do I need to re-calibrate the battery?
3)Should I contact Tesla?
I'm not even sure I understand your "situation"? You've set your car to charge to 90%, and it doesn't? It stops at 87%?

just want to point out that if you are gauging your battery degradation on the miles listed in the GUI when charging, that will not be an accurate way to assess degradation.

Stating this, as in the end this is how most people are measuring battery health.

Is there anyway to re-calibrate? What I read from the other threads is to discharge to 5% and fully charge to 100%.

Move the slider again in the car or in the app until it "snaps" to the 90% level. And try again.

This issue has nothing to do with capacity loss - in fact there is no way for you to easily gauge capacity loss when you use % as you are doing. Which is fine.

Defective batteries will sometimes refuse to charge to 100% but that will give you an error message saying so and that is pretty rare (so very unlikely to be your issue here).

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG and Falcon3
Funny thing, just the other day I charged my car to 80%, slider was on that mark. But when the car stopped charging it showed charge of 83%! I had recently taken it down to near zero (1% I think) so it may have recently recalibrated. I’m not sure if this means I lost range or gained it, but apparently the slider stops can get confused.

Move the slider again in the car or in the app until it "snaps" to the 90% level. And try again.

This issue has nothing to do with capacity loss - in fact there is no way for you to easily gauge capacity loss when you use % as you are doing. Which is fine.

Defective batteries will sometimes refuse to charge to 100% but that will give you an error message saying so and that is pretty rare (so very unlikely to be your issue here).
I slid the battery bar down and back to 90% stop and today, it charged to 90%. Seems like this fixed the issue. Many thanks for your helpful insight!

Tesla Model 3 Performance here, had delivery in early October 2018, approximately 66% of total charges on Tesla DC Superchargers (yay for lifetime free supercharging) with other 33% of charges using 120/240V AC where I almost always charge to 90% though sometimes to 100% if I'm taking a long trip. Per Teslafi I've had somewhere between 2.84%-3.08% degradation after driving 43,625.87 Miles. (Note: I didn't start using TeslaFi until 12/08/2018 at 5,788.28 miles)

High Range vs. Low Range
High RangeLow Range Range Loss Percent Loss
310.8 301.52 9.28 3.08 %
High Range vs. Current Range
High Range Current Range Range Loss Percent Loss
310.8 302.23 8.57 2.84 %
Starting Range vs. Current Range
Starting Range Current Range Range Loss Percent Loss
305.84 302.23 3.61 1.19 %
FusionCharts.png

Last edited:
Tesla Model 3 Performance here, had delivery in early October 2018, approximately 66% of total charges on Tesla DC Superchargers (yay for lifetime free supercharging) with other 33% of charges using 120/240V AC where I almost always charge to 90% though sometimes to 100% if I'm taking a long trip. Per Teslafi I've had somewhere between 2.84%-3.08% degradation after driving 43,625.87 Miles. (Note: I didn't start using TeslaFi until 12/08/2018 at 5,788.28 miles)

High Range vs. Low Range
High RangeLow Range Range Loss Percent Loss
310.8 301.52 9.28 3.08 %
High Range vs. Current Range
High Range Current Range Range Loss Percent Loss
310.8 302.23 8.57 2.84 %
Starting Range vs. Current Range
Starting Range Current Range Range Loss Percent Loss
305.84 302.23 3.61 1.19 %
View attachment 469349
For almost 44k miles, and charging to 90% and 2/3rd on SC, 2.5% degradation is pretty excellent.

I've supercharged about 300 kWh over the past 7 days. I noticed I lost about 2.5 miles at 90% charge (I keep the indicator on miles instead of %), whatever that means, but whatever, it's not like I'm going to drive it down to the last 10 miles.