Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery Heating?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, the inverter would be supplying 346 kW to the motor of which 60% would be mechanical power (211 kW) and 40% resistive losses. The inverter will have no trouble driving 133V to the motor from the > 350V battery.

If you look at the dyno curve, the peak power is near 5,800 RPM which is a fairly low vehicle speed. Tesla just announced a higher top-speed of 162? MPH because they think it's OK for the motor to spin at 19,000 RPM. So that would mean peak power happens at 49 MPH. That is the RPM where you can get peak power, and it is happening near peak current (just as the peak current limit is removed on the dyno curve). So it is NOT happening when "current is low", instead it is at max current and about 1/3 of the voltage available.

I think we are talking two different cases, I'm thinking of when the vehicle is not in motion.

Yes. 100% sure.
Just to be 100% clear, the motor part of the drive unit, not the inverter.

Why do you think the battery heater is a puny 4kW?

That was Big Earl's number.

This video looks to me like the outer part of the motor housing is probably immersed in the oil used in the transaxle and thus has good coupling through the exchanger. i.e. I don't see the motor housing from your video in this one - it seems to be mounted inside the larger transaxle assembly, with just its elecrtrical connections sticking out.

I think the pic I posted is the assembly on the left side of the total unit in the video you posted.

If the dud have a double wall setup with oil in the gap, that would help with heating efficiency, but I don't that that is the setup.

Heat from the motor is absorbed by the oil within drive unit, which is pumped and filtered and remains in the drive unit. That oil flows through an oil-coolant heat exchanger that transfers the heat from the oil to the battery coolant loop. From there, the heat is transferred to the battery pack.

Is there any direct oil cooling of the motor, or is it all conduction to the gear train section?

How would you pre-condition the battery on your way to the supercharger unless the "heater" can run while the motor is operating?

I'm not saying the drive unit doesn't also provide heat while driving. I'm just talking about the case where the car is not moving and is heating the pack. However, if you are doing 70 though frozen roads (or worse, slush) to a Supercharger, it seems like using the motor heat via drive unit case conduction would be even less efficient.

The pack is on one loop to the 4 way valve, the other loop is penthouse electronics, inverter, and then oil heat exchanger. The oil pump is switched, so they could avoid pumping cold oil through the heat exchanger to retain as much heat from the electronics as possible.

Just to be 100% clear, the motor part of the drive unit, not the inverter.

That was Big Earl's number.

I think the pic I posted is the assembly on the left side of the total unit in the video you posted.

If the dud have a double wall setup with oil in the gap, that would help with heating efficiency, but I don't that that is the setup.

Is there any direct oil cooling of the motor, or is it all conduction to the gear train section?

Oil is cooling the motor directly.

Best video I've seen of the encoder end of the motor:
So the entire motor is bathed in oil, good cooling for the windings and rotor. Gives a much better heat path than what I was wrongly imagining.

Could it also be they are using induction to heat the rotor and oil, then onto the pack? Normally, the SR motor rotates synchronously with the stator field, so there is no flux change in the rotor and little loss. However, if they also impose a sinusoidal field, then the rotor could act like a shorted winding. Like what happens in an AC induction motors, but without rotating the field so there is no mechanical movement. That could increase the power dissipation without needing as much current in the windings.

Reactions: Big Earl
Great. Could you do a full-throttle launch and post a plot of motor efficiency and motor power as a function of speed (at least up to peak power output) when you have a chance? Thank you.

I have done that a few times. Somewhere buried in hundred of log files :)

Here is what I wrote down from freeway driving.
efficiency Tesla Model S 85 (RWD)
12 kW = 82%
20 kW = 87%
36 kW = 90%
42 kW = 91.5 %
50 kW = 92 %

Speed is km/h
effModelS85RWD.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hacer and Big Earl
Do we know of any way to pre-heat the battery using "shore power" before driving? Obviously we can use the app to heat the cabin, but what about warming the battery before heading off?
I think you may find the "Smart Battery Prep" app I released last week useful (this feature is included in the Stats for Tesla app):
‎Smart Battery Prep: For Tesla

It adds a top-off charge at the designated time so that the battery is conditioned by the time you intend to use the car.
More details here: https://www.maadotaa.com/batterycond

Reactions: eprosenx
I think you may find the "Smart Battery Prep" app I released last week useful (this feature is included in the Stats for Tesla app):
‎Smart Battery Prep: For Tesla

It adds a top-off charge at the designated time so that the battery is conditioned by the time you intend to use the car.
More details here: https://www.maadotaa.com/batterycond

This sounds really interesting, and useful. Does it require a minimum amperage for home charging? Or will it configure how long you need to deliver the top off charge required?

In Bjorn's recent video he now has a CAN bus adapter and can view all kinds of stats on the Model 3. When he started charging it ramped both the front and rear motor up to 3.5 kW to heat the battery. So the Model 3 can provide 7kW of heat for the battery even without a dedicated battery heater.

View attachment 468174

Which begs the question: how does the rear wheel drive Model 3 perform? Does it only do 3.5 kW or can it do the full 7 with just the rear motor?

Can anyone in a colder climate confirm whether routing to a supercharger with a cold soaked, <50degF, while plugged in, will trigger the battery preconditioning statement or not?

This is the message I get on screen when I tap a SuperCharger in the app, while at home plugged in (and charging). It has been between 0-5 Celsius out recently.
BC6C6A3A-9B09-43B5-9983-3765B419D0ED.jpeg

EDIT: not sure why the picture is sideways...