Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you can't use the current EPA range of the SW limited S60 as an argument
I'd say the SW limited 60 kWh is likely more accurate than the former "60" kWh battery

The 500k cars is a total for S+3+X, so you have to subtract the number of Model S+X that would be produced.
I agree, so the the average battery capacity would be even higher. :)

... I think they will go below 35k, Civic/Corolla type cars, probably not econoboxes.

I go back and forth about what market segments Tesla is likely to go for, and in the end I think I agree with the above. It will be a few years before Tesla is big enough to go below $35,000, and I don't think Tesla will ever compromise on quality enough to build a real econobox, but I think they will build a Civic-class electric car priced at perhaps $25,000. Batteries will always make an electric car more expensive to build than a stinker. But $25,000 would let a lot more people into the EV market, especially when that car becomes available used.

Reactions: LectrikPower
When you consider the future Model Y and pickup truck, I don't think Tesla will be able to ramp up enough production to meet demand for a very very long time. Therefore, no need to even consider a cheaper car.

The 373,000 pre-orders killed the notion of a cheaper car. If someone asked Elon directly, I think he would admit that is true.

If they actually go forward with the Y and a pickup in the next few years I would agree. It would be some time before they would think about a cheaper sedan.

Reactions: JeffK
OK guys......Here's another voice of reason.

Has Toyota ever come out and said: we're going to limit the fuel economy of the Corolla or Camry, to force you to one-up to the Camry or Avalon?

Nope.

Stop thinking of "range" as the factor. You're getting "too EV" for this thought exercise. Think like ICE OEM's do. small car, midsize, full size, SUV, luxury sedan.

Those are the market segments Tesla is looking to slot into, it just so happens that all of their vehicles share the same drivetrain technology.

The only limit on pack size will be what physically fits. Elon has said the Model 3 will be "<100kWh", which is fine. It's a smaller/lighter vehicle.

If a Model 3 can get similar range with an 85 or 90 kWh pack, none of us should be making a peep in the complaint department about that.

Elon has already strongly hinted that there won't be anything cheaper than the Model 3. "A lower cost vehicle than the Model 3 is unlikely to be necessary, because of the third part of the plan described below." From the Master Plan, Part Deux

There is a huge difference between saying you won't do something, and saying you don't think it will be necessary. You can bet if it is necessary, Elon will do it.

Thank you kindly.

Why do you think that building many small buildings in Fremont is cheaper than building one big one somewhere else? Cheaper land, more tax incentives, fewer parking issues.

Thank you kindly.
Exactly, the smaller buildings are likely for in-house parts production. Having them on site means lower logistic costs. This has nothing to with the amount of capital Tesla has.

There is a huge difference between saying you won't do something, and saying you don't think it will be necessary. You can bet if it is necessary, Elon will do it.

Thank you kindly.
Agreed, I'm just saying that, as of right now, and for probably at least the next several years, there are not plans for them to produce a less expensive car. Now, if no other manufacturers try to fill that niche, they may well change their mind. But, as for it being necessary for Tesla's survival, I strongly doubt that.

I'm surprised no one has suggested the possibility of a small-delta software lock near base price to stick it in the Bolt:

Base - 35k - 55KWh (sw locked) range: 230 mi (Save $2500 vs Bolt!)
Unlocked: $37.5k - 60KWh range: 250 mi (Better range than Bolt for same money!)
Bigger pack: $45k - 70KWh (AWD) : 300mi (additional mass cancelled by 2nd motor)

Still only 2 pack sizes to manage in the factory

There are over 500 posts in this thread, not to mention the several others on, pretty much the same topic, I'm sure it's in there somewhere ....

Not that I've seen - people suggesting the 60/75 action from the S, and then people talking about how that's way too much free battery to ship in low-margin base cars. Never saw anyone talk about hitting those specific price points...

Not that I've seen - people suggesting the 60/75 action from the S, and then people talking about how that's way too much free battery to ship in low-margin base cars. Never saw anyone talk about hitting those specific price points...
The problem is, since GM is selling less overall volume, they will have the tax credit for longer. Once the Tesla tax credits run out, many people are going to see the Bolt as virtually $30k with 238 miles range while the Model 3 will still be $35k and potentially fewer miles of range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bokonon
I'm surprised no one has suggested the possibility of a small-delta software lock near base price to stick it in the Bolt:

Base - 35k - 55KWh (sw locked) range: 230 mi (Save $2500 vs Bolt!)
Unlocked: $37.5k - 60KWh range: 250 mi (Better range than Bolt for same money!)
Bigger pack: $45k - 70KWh (AWD) : 300mi (additional mass cancelled by 2nd motor)

Still only 2 pack sizes to manage in the factory

Software lock means Tesla will waste money and have no warranty that owner will buy it.
And, most likely, software lock would mean much better performance within locked range
(this includes SuperCharging speed and regen at 100%, and also less degradation).
Therefore it will be very popular choice (and unlocking will not be popular).
And software lock means dead weight (EPA wise).
All we need is two battery sizes. Few years later Tesla will offer 5kWh better packs anyway.
Not sure will it be true for 55kWh model, more likely 55kWh will lose some weight and
gain range that way.
KISS after all.

For hints that EM is interested in producing a less-expensive car than the Model 3 see: Elon Musk: Tesla Plotting Gen 4 Model That Everyone Can Afford and see note 309 in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla,_Inc.
"down the road" is one of those things with no real timeframe... just sometime in the future. I agree that he may be interested, but it could very well be a decade from now for all we know.

btw the wiki "quote" is from the same talk and the sentence they put in quotes was never actually spoken to my knowledge.

Let's also note the talk was from April 21st, 2016

Although, here's a quote from the Master Plan part deux July 20th, 2016

Expand to Cover the Major Forms of Terrestrial Transport
Today, Tesla addresses two relatively small segments of premium sedans and SUVs. With the Model 3, a future compact SUV and a new kind of pickup truck, we plan to address most of the consumer market. A lower cost vehicle than the Model 3 is unlikely to be necessary, because of the third part of the plan described below.

Elon might feel that a smaller, cheaper, car is an inevitability, but not necessarily in the plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
"down the road" is one of those things with no real timeframe... just sometime in the future. I agree that he may be interested, but it could very well be a decade from now for all we know.
he's spreading himself thin.

he's wavered on the "very" affordable car. he completely left off the new Roadster on his Part Deux....the guy's got a lot on his plate.

Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
The problem is, since GM is selling less overall volume, they will have the tax credit for longer.
Actually, GM and Tesla will run out at similar times.
federal-credit-phaseout-estimation-chart.png

Since Tesla is likely to have a larger volume of cars per quarter, many more TM3s are likely to get the rebate than the GM Bolts.

Chart is from: When Will The $7,500 US Credit Expire For The Tesla Model 3...And Everyone Else?