Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Batteries are not like integrated circuits. Batteries are improving slowly. The price per kWh will continue to decline, but it is not going to plummet.
Battery energy density is doubling once every 10 years or so. Indeed not on the level of semiconductors & Moore's law, but nothing else really is.

JB's Battery Romance

The real question is: how does the battery/EV improvement curve compare with historic and future gasoline/ICE trending?

The Roadster was designed 10+ years ago (went on sale in '08). So the Model 3 batteries are already ~2x as good as they were. And significantly cheaper per KWh to boot.

In another decade (2028), we'll have packs 4x as good as the Roadster was and twice what that Model 3 has. That allows for either more range, less cost, or both. A Model V with a 400 mile pack with a part cost half of what we have today sounds pretty good.

Superchargers are not going to get very much faster, and there is no need for them to do so.

Here we disagree. As does JB who is targeting 10 minute charge times.

While I've argued on this forum that we need more range, not just faster superchargers, the reality is we need both if we are to have "no compromises" EV's.

To have the Model S be twice the price planned is a significant departure.

Actually they did get that estimated price of the Model S - TMS40 was a hair under $50k in base configuration after the $7500 tax rebate. But "no one" wanted to buy it...

Just about yes... the master plan document actually called out half of $89k which is $44.5K but in my opinion $57,400 is a pretty decent decrease. In Elon's defense he did say "roughly half"
$57k is a far cry from twice the price of the roadster though @Blissedout

Wow. I disagree with pretty much every thing you wrote here, though I understand why someone might see things your way. Allow me to go through this bit-by-bit...

The Model 3 costs twice as much as those cars. When their base prices rise to $27,500, it will be because of inflation which will push a car like the Model 3 to $65,000.
As I noted elsewhere, the days of sub-$20,000 new cars is coming to an end... SOON. You don't have to believe it, but it's true. It is far more likely that a version of the Model ≡ will go down to $25,000 than it is the base car will go up to $65,000. In fact, I'd guess the BMW 3-Series will have a base price over $65,000 -- to hide from Civic, Accord, Corolla, Accord, and Model ≡ first. Just as BMW, AUDI, and Mercedes-Benz vehicles initially went further upmarket to escape Lexus and Infiniti 25 years ago. Without ICE issues holding them back, Tesla will not have to follow suit.

The Civic, Corolla, Accord, and Camry are not much different from each other. And none of them is available as a fully electric vehicle. There is bountiful crossover in the price points of these cars already. Though the average sale price for new cars is over $33,000... The majority of new cars sold are between $22,000 and $25,000.

The Camry went down in U.S. Sales in 2016 relative to 2015. Many will point to the popularity of SUVs as the culprit. But many times during the year the Corolla threatened to take the lead from its sibling, the Camry. Those product lines will have to be adjusted in the marketplace. So Camry may well supplant Avalon and move upmarket a bit to give Corolla some elbow room.

You cannot say that when a Civic costs $27,500 a Model 3 will still cost $35,000.
Sure I can. Watch me.

Tesla may well decide not to compete in the cheap-car market, but a Civic-class stinker will always cost half as much as a Model-3-class EV until there's a carbon tax that makes a stinker uneconomical to operate.
Nope. I say the Model ≡ is already affordable for the majority of those looking to purchase a new car. The total cost of ownership will be better than a Civic or Corolla. And the gap between their initial price points will diminish, not increase.

And while the used-car market will eventually enable people who cannot afford $35,000 to get an electric car, there are still people who want a new car at half that price, and used-car buyers who want a car significantly less expensive than that.
25 years ago a Mustang, Camaro, and Corvette all pretty much cost half as much as they do today. So what? People always want to pay less. If the Accord and Camry each started at $11,000 instead of $22,000 they would still be the leaders in their segment, but their Sales would not double.

There will continue to be a significant market for a $15,000 or $20,000 electric car.
No. There won't be. Because no one is stupid enough to 'leave money on the table'. The only 'cheap' cars that outsell the top 15 passenger cars in the U.S. are used cars. Only one 'cheap' car appears among the top thirty sold here. One.

Tesla can certainly afford to leave that market to other makers.
Sure. Tesla can afford to not do stupid things. Tesla cannot afford to do stupid things.

But I've met plenty of people who would love to have an electric car, for whom a Model 3 is still way outside their price range.
And they can either get a nice, used, NISSAN LEAF, or they can lobby Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Chevrolet, or Ford to build a long range 'cheap' electric car... then sit back and watch what happens. HINT: Nothing will happen.

Batteries are not like integrated circuits. Batteries are improving slowly. The price per kWh will continue to decline, but it is not going to plummet.
It's a matter of perspective. There was a guy in 2014 that gave his professional opinion that Tesla was DOOMED because there was no way in [HECK] that batteries would drop below $178 per kWh prior to 2022-2024. When queried about that prediction, Elon Musk noted he would be 'very disappointed' if it took ten years for the cost of batteries to get that low. To those who believe the supposed 'expert', if Tesla's internal cost at the Gigafactory is much lower than GM's admitted $145 per kWh for BOLT, it will indeed constitute a relative plumetting of price point. A Tesla representative admitted their cost was below $190 per kWh already. Elon has consistently stated the Gigafactory would lower their cost by at least 30% from thr outset, and possibly up to 50% before long. That would mean $133 per kWh or less from thr very beginning. When you note that just three years ago most traditional automobile manufacturers were claiming costs upward of $500 per kWh, the costs that will become prevalent within the next two or three years will have fallen off a cliff.

They may be able to make superchargers a little bit faster, but the conductors needed for fast charging are humongous, and the cooling power is enormous. Superchargers are not going to get very much faster, and there is no need for them to do so. A bigger need is for superchargers on secondary roads. My one long road trip per year does not follow major highways. For me to ditch the stinker for that one trip, there would need to be superchargers in small cities off the major highways. I think that time will come, but it may be a decade or more away, and I'm old enough that I may not see it.
I hope for your sake you last the next five years or so. That way I can have the pleasure of saying, "I told you so!" But yeah, someone else has already posted a corrective link that proves the opposite of your opinion.

To have the Model S be twice the price planned is a significant departure. It became a luxury model instead of the M3. The original plan became:
1. Build sports car
2 Build luxury car
3. Build an affordable car.
4. Don't build an even more affordable car, create a car sharing network instead.
5. Same in both plans.

I think flexibility with business plans is good thing. Things never turn out exactly as planned.
The Tesla Model S 40 was the 'affordable car'. Nobody wanted it. So it went away. Compared to that, the Model ≡ is indeed the 'even more affordable' car. Tesla does not use the word 'luxury' to describe their products. They may acknowledge that third parties use the word, but they don't use it themselves. Pay attention and stop using revisionist history techniques.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Battery costs are coming down and will continue to decline. They are not going to plummet the way the cost of ICs have plummeted because they are an entirely different sort of thing. ICs are close to zero raw materials, and close to 100% technology. Batteries are mostly raw materials, and the cost of getting those out of the ground is a fundamental part of their cost.

Inflation, which raises the price of everything.
ICs drop in price because they can get more performance using the same amount of material. Batteries are improving in price for the same reason. The rate is different, but the fundamentals are the same.

The Tesla Model S 40 was the 'affordable car'. Nobody wanted it. So it went away. Compared to that, the Model ≡ is indeed the 'even more affordable' car. Tesla does not use the word 'luxury' to describe their products. They may acknowledge that third parties use the word, but they don't use it themselves. Pay attention and stop using revisionist history techniques.

I stand corrected.

Reactions: Red Sage
Last month there was a discussion in this thread about software limited Model 3 packs and I said it won't happen because those have low gross margins and Tesla is trying to reach 30% gross margin. I also said Tesla would discontinue the 60 kWh Model S soon. Check out my message HERE. Now Tesla has confirmed they will discontinue the 60 next month. This means Tesla won't have any software limited battery pack option after the 60 is gone. Hopefully, people have now given up on the idea that the Model 3 will have a software limited pack option. It's not going to happen.

Reaching 30% gross margin is one of the promises Elon made to the board. Check out the list here:
Tesla’s market cap reaches last milestone of Elon Musk’s $1 billion CEO stock option plan – will he stay CEO for long?

Last edited:
Last month there was a discussion in this thread about software limited Model 3 packs and I said it won't happen because those have low gross margins and Tesla is trying to reach 30% gross margin. I also said Tesla would discontinue the 60 kWh Model S soon. Check out my message HERE. Now Tesla has confirmed they will discontinue the 60 next month. This means Tesla won't have any software limited battery pack option after the 60 is gone. Hopefully, people have now given up on the idea that the Model 3 will have a software limited pack option. It's not going to happen.....

I'm not convinced of that. I think that this is something that Tesla is going to trot out periodically as it serves their quarterly purposes - perhaps not with the initial Model 3s - but certainly at some point.

The smaller battery isn't that much less costly than the larger ones. You have the same shell, cooling system, contactor, mounting system, etc... The only difference is, literally, the cost of the additional cells. And, conversely, there's some cost in maintaining multiple battery hardware configurations.

As the cost of Tesla's cells approach $100/kw, the additional cost of the building the added capacity becomes relatively minor. And there is more and more motivation for Tesla to do software enabled upgrades, as they have with the AP hardware. Put it in, and enough buyers will eventually buy the (overpriced) upgrade and turn a nice profit.

Tesla did make a mistake with the 60/75. They made the cars too close in effective capacity, and there was too little motivation for the 60 drivers to upgrade.

Reactions: Red Sage
These are my Model 3 related predictions:
  • Model 3 will be released in two battery sizes, not three.
  • The smallest Model 3 battery size will be 55 kWh.
  • The largest Model 3 battery size will be 75 kWh.
  • The Model 3 won't have any software limited battery pack option when released.
  • The Model 3 won't have a HUD when it's released.
  • When the configurator for the Model 3 opens, the 0-60 time for the quickest version will be 3.5 seconds or less.
  • The first Model 3 deliveries (to Tesla insiders, not to regular customers) will start before 30th Sep 2017.
  • The longest-range version of the Model 3 will have at least 290 miles EPA rated range.
  • In 2017 Tesla will deliver between 35,000 and 55,000 Model 3's.
I wrote these in this thread: Prediction Thread - "You Called It" Also, I have added them to the spreadsheet in the opening message of that thread. HERE is a direct link to that file. If you look at the spreadsheet, there are contradicting opinions. For example, somebody else has predicted that the Model 3 will have a HUD. I predict that it won't. I could be wrong. I might be wrong on other things. If you think you are good at predictions, feel free to add your versions to that topic and to the spreadsheet.

Last edited:
[Quote = "Troy, de la publicación: 2016315, miembro de: 38689"] Estas son mis predicciones relacionadas Modelo 3:
  • Modelo 3 será lanzado en dos tamaños de batería, no tres.
  • El tamaño de la batería Modelo 3 más pequeña será de 55 kWh.
  • El modelo 3 tamaño más grande de la batería será de 75 kWh.
  • El Modelo 3 no tendrá ninguna opción de batería limitada de software cuando se suelta.
  • El modelo 3 no tendrá un HUD cuando salga al mercado.
  • Cuando el configurador para el Modelo 3 se abre, el tiempo de 0-60 para la versión más rápida será de 3,5 segundos o menos.
  • El primer modelo 3 entregas (con información privilegiada Tesla, no a los clientes habituales) se iniciará antes del 30 de Sep de 2017.
  • La versión de mayor alcance del Modelo 3 tendrá al menos 290 millas de la EPA Rango nominal.
  • En 2017 Tesla entregará entre 35.000 y 55.000 Modelo de 3.
Escribí estas en este hilo: Predicción de rosca - "Usted lo llamó" Además, los he añadido a la hoja de cálculo en el mensaje de apertura de ese hilo. Aquí es un enlace directo a ese archivo. Si nos fijamos en la hoja de cálculo, hay opiniones contradictorias. Por ejemplo, alguien más ha predicho que el Modelo 3 tendrá un HUD. Mi predicción es que no lo hará. Podría estar equivocado. Puedo estar equivocado en otras cosas. Si usted piensa que usted es bueno en las predicciones, no dude en añadir sus versiones a ese tema y para la hoja de cálculo. [/ Quote]

This means Tesla won't have any software limited battery pack option after the 60 is gone. Hopefully, people have now given up on the idea that the Model 3 will have a software limited pack option. It's not going to happen.
I honestly think this move is temporary means to generate cash. Investors have said they don't think Tesla's latest capital raise would be enough. Tesla is probably looking at other ways to increase revenue in the short term. Getting rid of the 60 and starting another round of the referral program is a sure way to do that.
I doubt this has anything to do with the future Model 3 packs.

These are my Model 3 related predictions:
  • Model 3 will be released in two battery sizes, not three.
  • The smallest Model 3 battery size will be 55 kWh.
  • The largest Model 3 battery size will be 75 kWh.
  • The Model 3 won't have any software limited battery pack option when released.
  • The Model 3 won't have a HUD when it's released.
  • When the configurator for the Model 3 opens, the 0-60 time for the quickest version will be 3.5 seconds or less.
  • The first Model 3 deliveries (to Tesla insiders, not to regular customers) will start before 30th Sep 2017.
  • The longest-range version of the Model 3 will have at least 290 miles EPA rated range.
  • In 2017 Tesla will deliver between 35,000 and 55,000 Model 3's.
I wrote these in this thread: Prediction Thread - "You Called It" Also, I have added them to the spreadsheet in the opening message of that thread. HERE is a direct link to that file. If you look at the spreadsheet, there are contradicting opinions. For example, somebody else has predicted that the Model 3 will have a HUD. I predict that it won't. I could be wrong. I might be wrong on other things. If you think you are good at predictions, feel free to add your versions to that topic and to the spreadsheet.
I think you are wrong, Tesla will have HUD as the current desine doesn't look or feel "spaceship like controls" as per Elon, also I think the longest range will be over 300 miles considering the new 2170 cells, the rest you might be correct.

This forum starts to get interesting after months of no real info :)... Agree that 75kWh might be the highest pack for now, I take 55 or 60kWh as base. I think there will be big ego at play when it comes to beating Bolt's range, so maybe will get a 60kWh pack as base, let's see :)... What I am really curious is how much is Tesla going to ask for a 15kWh upgrade. Based on the S60 story, the unlock is 8000USD or about, right? That's more than 500USD/kWh, which is outrageous, compared to 150-190USD cost per kWh that's quoted often as today's reality. With Model 3, I think the pricing strategy needs to be adjusted. Skimming part is over with Model 3, so I hope upgrades including battery pack will be more "real" as I think the elasticity in uptake will be huge. E.g. If those extra 15kWh were lets say 3k USD, my bet is that 60-70% of customers would go for it... Just a thought, but I really hope the upgrade cost will become more favorable with M3.

Reactions: Falkirk
I think you are wrong, Tesla will have HUD as the current desine doesn't look or feel "spaceship like controls" as per Elon
I think Troy may be right simply because a HUD is not a practical option to display "primarily referenced" driving info which, otherwise, must be off to the right on the 15" panel. The price point for projection tech that works with sunglass wearing drivers is available, but probably too expensive. It is also doubtful that Tesla would adopt the kludegy aesthetic of the "portable HUD" alternative which has been manufactured into some lower-end car models and also available from numerous 3rd parties.

That's more than 500USD/kWh, which is outrageous, compared to 150-190USD cost per kWh that's quoted often as today's reality.
Just remember that a TMS 60 actually is a TMS 75 with rebate and an SW limit on the battery. So, you may as well say that this 500USD/kWh is (a bit more then) the rebate you get to accept that you can't use all of the capacity of the battery... Of course you have to pay back the rebate (and some administrative fee) if you want to go from the rebated 60 back to the original 75.

Just to give you an another point of view :)

... and yes, I fully expect the kWh price of the TM3 GF-I batteries to be lower then it is on the Gen-II cars.

Agree that 75kWh might be the highest pack for now, I take 55 or 60kWh as base.
We've already had a Tesla executive state that the base battery will be less than 60kWh. I think 55kWh is a good guess.

I've done some calculations based on what we believe the size of the Model 3 to be, and the layout of the modules as shown on the video behind Musk during the reveal. I came to the conclusion that the largest possible battery pack size would be 85kWh, with a chance of 90kWh if the new cells have better chemistry than current cells in addition to the volume difference.

Reactions: PJFW8