Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 breaks record for cross country drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Why do people always do the run West to East?...

Unless, of course if you are John & Jill Glenney who were the first Tesla owners to do that but in reverse in the good old days of 2014:

First Across the US by Supercharger

Almost nonstop driving. Components heat up. Charge-drive-drain-charge rinse repeat with not even a minute for the components to cool down.
That's a pretty low bar you have for EV's if a 52hr trip without breaking down s considered a noteworthy accomplishment. I'd venture to guess that pretty much any new ICE car can do that today and no manufacturer would tout that as something special. Just my opinion.

Transcontinental Drivers Association's Facebook page took down the story.....sighting no evidence. Records like this require tons of evidence. Furthermore, it's not a cannonball record, unless it's from the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach Ca to Red Ball Garage in NYC. This Model 3 left from Manhattan Beach with would require it to be handicapped since their are less red lights to get to the freeway than Redondo Beach.

While that handicap may seem trivial to the general public, it's not to the team whom currently holds the record in the Model S set in July 2017. The Model S drivers (Jordan Hart and Bradley D'Souza) left from the correct start and finish points.They also supplied an overwhelming amount of evidence need to prove their claim.

Our team currently hold the Guinness Record for shortest charging time coast to coast, Deena Mastracci and I hold the Double Transcontinental EV Record, and we previously set the EV Cannonball record from LA To NYC twice (2015 & 2016), as well as the first to set the semi autonomous EV record from LA to NYC. So I kinda know little about this topic.

I'm not saying the Model 3 driver didn't do it....I'm saying where is the evidence? Where is the "Truth in Journalism"? Journalists need to interview some people that currently hold the record, get some insight, and above all vet these stories before publishing them.
Carl Reese
Multiple Guinness & World Record Holder
Carl Reese (driver) - Wikipedia
Carl Reese – Los Angeles to New York City Electric Vehicle Record • Los Angeles to New York City Motorcycle Record • Los Angeles to New York City Autonomous Electric Vehicle Record • Los Angeles to Double Transcontinental EV Record • Guinness Book of World Record Holder

Last edited:
Transcontinental Drivers Association's Facebook page took down the story.....sighting no evidence. Records like this require tons of evidence. Furthermore, it's not a cannonball record, unless it's from the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach Ca to Red Ball Garage in NYC. This Model 3 left from Manhattan Beach with would require it to be handicapped since their are less red lights to get to the freeway than Redondo Beach.

Our team holds the current Guinness Record for shortest charging time coast to coast, Deena and I hold the Double Transcontinental EV Record and we previously set the EV Cannonball record twice, as well as the first to set the semi autonomous EV record from LA to NYC. I know exactly how many charging stations it requires to get to NYC. The Model 3 drivers claim of 15 charging stations is mathematically impossible. Thats 5 less charging stations than the team that holds the record currently (Jordan Hart and Bradly D’Souza) in a Model S in July 2017.

I'm not saying the Model 3 driver didn't do it....I'm saying where is the evidence? Where is the "Truth in Journalism"? Journalists need to interview some people that currently hold the record, get some insight, and above all vet these stories before publishing them.
Carl Reese
Multiple Guinness & World Record Holder
Carl Reese (driver) - Wikipedia
Carl Reese – Los Angeles to New York City Electric Vehicle Record • Los Angeles to New York City Motorcycle Record • Los Angeles to New York City Autonomous Electric Vehicle Record • Los Angeles to Double Transcontinental EV Record • Guinness Book of World Record Holder

In terms of the number of charging stations, you need to take into account that the Model 3 has significantly longer range than the 85D used in the previous record (probably longer range than the 100D). I don’t know whether it makes it possible or not, but it seems logical that the 3 will require less charging stations than the S.

I think the story should be pulled from Teslarati until the evidence is presented and verified. Otherwise its an injustice to the current record holder. You can't make a world record claim then go "dark". Like everyone else you must present your evidence to the world to be scrutinized. Again, I'm not saying the model 3 didn't set a new record, i'm just saying the press should not be putting it out there until someone has looked thru the evidence.

Last edited:
So, I'll ask... Is it possible that this is part of the attempted cross country drive?

Has anyone seen other postings by random folks spotting this car and accidentally showing a photo of

Karpathy in the driver seat? Lee Harvey? Anyone?

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
U.S. Coast-To-Coast EV Record Broken By Mysterious Tesla Model 3

That's 30 minutes faster than the last Tesla record which was done by 2015 Model S at 51:47.

This time:

Tesla Model 3 from Manhattan Beach Pier, California to Manhattan, New York in 51:17.

I guess: smaller and lighter has its advantage.
That's not accurate.... I set the new record a few months ago with Bradly D'Souza....

Two guys did a coast-to-coast ‘Cannonball Run’ in a Tesla Model S for a new record

Also... This current "record breaker" has provided no definitive proof ... Meanwhile we have gobs of it online in a Dropbox folder.