Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada - Confirmed Orders Only thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive by the Oakville store. 3 weeks ago there were 20 on the lot. Last week there were 12 and today there were only about 7 model 3's. None looked like P or AWD versions. I don't think Canada is getting any deliveries. If they don't start sending cars soon we'll get into the year end rush for USA incentives and we'll be out of luck until next year. I already lost out on the 14K incentive.

Now I'm starting to get frustrated by all of the waiting. The car I selected is over 80K and they can't even give us progress updates. My window for delivery is Sept -Nov. If they miss this window I'll likely ask for a refund. I want the car but at some point enough is enough.

Reactions: T3l5aFan
I drive by the Oakville store. 3 weeks ago there were 20 on the lot. Last week there were 12 and today there were only about 7 model 3's. None looked like P or AWD versions. I don't think Canada is getting any deliveries. If they don't start sending cars soon we'll get into the year end rush for USA incentives and we'll be out of luck until next year. I already lost out on the 14K incentive.

Now I'm starting to get frustrated by all of the waiting. The car I selected is over 80K and they can't even give us progress updates. My window for delivery is Sept -Nov. If they miss this window I'll likely ask for a refund. I want the car but at some point enough is enough.

Agreed. The entire ordering process is a huge mess. I can understand some uncertainty in the delivery window. But a 3 month window is silly. Presumably there is a well established waiting list with priorities. And there is also a somewhat steady product rate. Hence, it should not be overly difficult to predict a manufacturing and delivery date for the vehicle.

Agreed. The entire ordering process is a huge mess. I can understand some uncertainty in the delivery window. But a 3 month window is silly. Presumably there is a well established waiting list with priorities. And there is also a somewhat steady product rate. Hence, it should not be overly difficult to predict a manufacturing and delivery date for the vehicle.

I suspect it's less "what order do we have to build them in", and more "how quickly can we ramp up". If they can hit 6,000 sustainably, then deliveries will be in the earlier part of the window. If not, later.

I personal can't see how they can open ordering and promise 2 to 4 months, when there must still be ~50,000+ (North America, premium configs, still waiting) from the reservation list in front of new orders.

I suspect it's less "what order do we have to build them in", and more "how quickly can we ramp up". If they can hit 6,000 sustainably, then deliveries will be in the earlier part of the window. If not, later.

I personal can't see how they can open ordering and promise 2 to 4 months, when there must still be ~50,000+ (North America, premium configs, still waiting) from the reservation list in front of new orders.

Sorry but the math doesn't make any sense to me. They made 5000 cars per week in July. Let's say that is not sustainable and they can do, 4000 cars per week. It's been 6 weeks since July 1st, so approximately 24000 to 30000 cars. Where are all those cars going and at that production rate and the backlog of orders, it should be a lot more precise to predict the delivery time. I feel there is something else fishy happening.

Sorry but the math doesn't make any sense to me. They made 5000 cars per week in July. Let's say that is not sustainable and they can do, 4000 cars per week. It's been 6 weeks since July 1st, so approximately 24000 to 30000 cars. Where are all those cars going and at that production rate and the backlog of orders, it should be a lot more precise to predict the delivery time. I feel there is something else fishy happening.
Preorder sales were 450,000. Where do you THINK they went?

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG
Tesla sold 950 vehicles in Canada last month with 250 of them being Model S. Assuming a similar amount of Model X were sold (lets say 200) that leaves a whopping 500 Model 3's sold in Canada in July. It is clear that some cars are making it to Canada but they are few and far between compared to the USA.

Source: Canada Auto Sales Brand Rankings - July 2018 -

Yeah, I saw that list too. It's totally an estimate, since Tesla doesn't release sales figures until Q end, much less country breakdown. The # of 3s sold in Canada in July is very speculative IMHO.

They probably just stating what they are told to say. I think there are a few Mid June order people in this forum that still waiting for their Vin

Yeah there are. Whenever I speak with Tesla I’m always very friendly as I know they probably get their share of outraged callers. Ultimately it’s a shame the communication between the factory and the sales team is so non-existent. It makes their job harder and our experience worse.

I understand people's frustration with Tesla and wanting the car ASAP...especially since so many people in the states seem to be getting their cars after a month of placing an order (though those are probably the exception, rather than the norm).

I'm one of the ones waiting, checking on a daily basis whether there are any updates on my AWD order. I actually had my delivery pushed back to Oct/Dec from Sept/Oct, which sucked...I made a paint colour change, and it was just as they announced the white interior, so it took them 3 weeks to actually make the change, and once they did it changed my window :(

BUT....one thing I wanted to say to the folks here anxious for their car: this isn't unique to Tesla. Try and get a Leaf or Bolt and you'll have a MUCH longer wait than 2-4 months in Canada. According to a Nissan dealer they are out of 2018's, and 2019's will be available for order in September, with expected first deliveries in January (which I doubt they will hit)....and I have heard for a while now that the Bolt wait list in Canada is pushing 10-12 months. We bought a bolt for my wife last year, and had to wait 4 months for it to show up.....if my AWD shows up after 3 months it would actually be quicker than the 'big companies' it seems.

At least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself while passing the time, because for sure I will still be checking every few hours whether I have a VIN...even though I probably am 2+ months away :(

Also, I'm doing a test drive of the model 3 at oakville tomorrow at 5pm (RWD is all they have), but I'll ask there when/if they will be getting any AWDs for delivery. I would expect Canada to be getting some in September since it seems the factory is producing mainly AWD and PAWD now....

So I did the test drive tonight. I'll put a different post about what I thought on that, but to touch on the last comment I made above:

I asked about AWD and P-AWD deliveries, and they had none in the queue .But the salesperson I was talking to said the guy I'm before me had an AWD order and was just contacted by the delivery associate to schedule delivery. So they should start making deliveries in early sept and people should start hearing from delivery advisors soon if you lucky enough to be at the top of the list.

Also, they said they are still delivering about 3 RWD per day at Oakville.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I understand people's frustration with Tesla and wanting the car ASAP.....I'm one of the ones waiting, checking on a daily basis whether there are any updates on my AWD order....

Still no VINs or deliveries of 36 AWD / Performance orders documented for Canada :(

Here's another interesting view (column BT in the AWD / P-AWD sheet) I came up with - for those wondering how their location is affecting how quickly they get a VIN:

2018-08-16-10_08_27-window-png.326200

The locations with the highest response rate are:
  1. DC, Hawaii and "Other" are all 100% fulfilled (but they only have 1 order each, so not statistically significant)
  2. New Jersey is next with 43.3% of 30 orders either with a VIN or a delivery date (I guess it's not only West Coast getting responses!)
  3. Ohio with 6 of 14 (42.9%)
  4. Virginia at 40.9% (9 of 22)
The locations with the poorest response are:
  1. ALL OF CANADA with zero responses for 36 orders. I'm not bitter. No, not at all.
  2. Texas. Texas has no VINs or delivery dates recorded for 30 orders. No love for Texas?
The benchmark of course is California, which has 33 of 146 orders, or 22.6%.

When I ordered a BMW 325Xi many years ago (2003?), I was told it would take 6 - 8 weeks. I had a small window within which I could make a change - which I did, and within 24 hours that change was reflected in my order status. While the car did take about 8 weeks to build, ship and arrive in Toronto, I was able to keep tabs on the process most of the way through.

Changed my DBM Dual Motor 19" order to white seats almost 2 weeks ago. Change still has not been reflected in my profile - still shows Sept - Nov....

Waiting....just waiting.....Although I am pretty confident that when the change to white interior does go through, it will just punt me back a month or more. But it would be nice to hear something from Telsa. Anything at all....