Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confused as to what the point of posting this picture was...
Actually, this is exactly the picture I've been waiting for going back to the whole discussion about the lack of a speedometer. We've seen lots of shots of the screen, and even one over the right shoulder of the driver, but I can't recall seeing one that is exactly from the driver's perspective. I find this very reassuring about how easy it will be to check your speed.

Here's the one over the shoulder you were referring to:
lyYyYHW.jpg

Reactions: Waiting4M3
I heard that there is a game controller inside the glove box, and passengers can actually play game on the screen, and that Tesla are in secret talks with one or more major gaming console companies. Also it has a "selfie" camera, and people who've rode in the back seat confirmed that it works well as a vanity mirror.

Nintendo Switch to be mounted onto the dash behind the steering wheel, confirmed! Use the Switch as a binnacle while driving! Play Zelda while your car drives you to work and home!

So I was thinking about the display positioning, especially if you need to touch to use it (instead of the wheels on wheel).

Earlier in my car, if I needed to use phone for something (set navigation etc.), I'd always take it from my hands-free holder (which keeps the phone pretty much same spot as M3 display is at). When using, I'd keep the phone about middle of the steering wheel, so I can still mostly look at the road, and glance at phone when I feel it's safe to do. (yes, I know, don't use phone while driving). However, doing that I pretty much always felt I can keep enough attention to the road that it didn't increase accident risk that much. (yes, some amount for sure)

Now with the new hands-free law in WA, I've minimized the phone usage while driving, and in addition I don't take it out from the holder. But the times I had to use the phone (e.g. change my navigation destination), it was much more cumbersome and I felt much more prone to accidents. First I need to gaze totally different direction/angle than if I'm looking at the road, so I keep switching back and forth when earlier it was almost like just changing focus point while looking at same direction. And to make it worse, I need to slightly lean over towards to the phone to be able to reach it, making it even more difficult to keep straight line with the other hand.

So with M3, I'm wondering how much the screen usage will distract from driving. I'm sure most people learn the screen buttons easy enough that it doesn't really distract, but the cell phone experience for me made me think that the screen position might not be optimal for that reason.

So I was thinking about the display positioning, especially if you need to touch to use it (instead of the wheels on wheel).

Earlier in my car, if I needed to use phone for something (set navigation etc.), I'd always take it from my hands-free holder (which keeps the phone pretty much same spot as M3 display is at). When using, I'd keep the phone about middle of the steering wheel, so I can still mostly look at the road, and glance at phone when I feel it's safe to do. (yes, I know, don't use phone while driving). However, doing that I pretty much always felt I can keep enough attention to the road that it didn't increase accident risk that much. (yes, some amount for sure)

Now with the new hands-free law in WA, I've minimized the phone usage while driving, and in addition I don't take it out from the holder. But the times I had to use the phone (e.g. change my navigation destination), it was much more cumbersome and I felt much more prone to accidents. First I need to gaze totally different direction/angle than if I'm looking at the road, so I keep switching back and forth when earlier it was almost like just changing focus point while looking at same direction. And to make it worse, I need to slightly lean over towards to the phone to be able to reach it, making it even more difficult to keep straight line with the other hand.

So with M3, I'm wondering how much the screen usage will distract from driving. I'm sure most people learn the screen buttons easy enough that it doesn't really distract, but the cell phone experience for me made me think that the screen position might not be optimal for that reason.
Well, you aren't texting one it and you aren't supposed to be putting addresses into GPS when you drive anyway. You can reach the screen without leaning.

What would a driver be doing on the screen that might cause a distraction vs other vehicles?

Well, you aren't texting one it and you aren't supposed to be putting addresses into GPS when you drive anyway. You can reach the screen without leaning.

What would a driver be doing on the screen that might cause a distraction vs other vehicles?

Yea people are not supposed to jaywalk either, but both of those will happen.

Not sure if I had a point there somewhere, but I was just wondering if the screen placement is optimal for safety, especially as there's no screen behind the wheel that could have most of the needed information/settings. But then again, "how often you look the dash at taxi". If the FSD was there, it'd be perfect. You could be watching movies, browsing internet etc. while commuting. But at least first few years we still need to drive manually.

Yea people are not supposed to jaywalk either, but both of those will happen.

Not sure if I had a point there somewhere, but I was just wondering if the screen placement is optimal for safety, especially as there's no screen behind the wheel that could have most of the needed information/settings. But then again, "how often you look the dash at taxi". If the FSD was there, it'd be perfect. You could be watching movies, browsing internet etc. while commuting. But at least first few years we still need to drive manually.
Many people have this concern and once they see it or use it then they realize there was nothing to worry about.

Reactions: DR61
Interesting...the Prius Prime also has a HUD for speed, energy monitor, turn-by-turn navigation directions, battery charge, and Toyota Safety Sense (13 alerts)....a few degrees higher than your green x...which would make it closer to "straight".

I have a Prius V and the focal shift portrayed in the diagram above over states the change in focus of the driver. Based on many of the videos and pictures of the 15" monitors I've looked seen there is very little difference in the focal shift. And certainly far less then looking down the wheel at information.

Reactions: JeffK
Maybe focal shift is the wrong term to use....maybe viewing direction, eye direction shift/change is better. But I do get his point..your eyes will change where they are looking/pointing more dramatically with the Model 3 than with the Prius for info items such as Speed, Nav, Energy Status, etc.

Maybe focal shift is the wrong term to use....maybe viewing direction, eye direction shift/change is better. But I do get his point..your eyes will change where they are looking/pointing more dramatically with the Model 3 than with the Prius for info items such as Speed, Nav, Energy Status, etc.
How dramatically do your eyes change when looking in a rear view mirror or side mirrors?

Just look at all these places my eyes would have to go in a Prius:
gEe8mf.jpg

Compare that to a single central screen.

Nor with a digital one. We need to separate precision from accuracy here. I've never had a car speedometer, either analog or digital, that compared exactly to the highway mile markings (nor an external GPS-based instrument). They are all off by a mile or two per hour, depending on tire pressure, wear, temperature, etc. So, reading an in-dash digital display that tells me I'm going 65.0 miles per hour is misleading at best. Even though it appears to be precise, it is in fact no more accurate than glancing at an analog speedometer and seeing the needle hovering about half-way between the 60 and 70 mph markings.

DYK that some OEM's actually do that on purpose as somewhat of a safety measure? if you're REALLY doing 65mph but you're speedometer say 68mph, maybe you're psychologically more inclined to slow down.....

plus, in some of those companies already known for fudging their numbers a little....it's a way to make you think your car is faster than it is.

Are we still complaining about this? I don't like it either but it is a done deal. I'm willing to wait for a test drive to see if I can live with it or not, and to be honest I have kind of come to terms with it design-wise. I still don't like it. But I may be able to live with it.
Every design is built from multiple compromises. You accept the compromises you don't like to get the features you want. If there are too many negatives, the scale tips and you say so long and thanks for all the fish.
Easy.
The phone app access is more likely the killer compromise for me than the One Screen to Rule Them All.
As a result, my scales for an early-ish delivery Model 3 are tilting precariously. The test sit (for cabin access, comfort and visibility) and the test drive (for that damned screen) will decide the question once and for all for me.
Robin

Reactions: C141medic
How dramatically do your eyes change when looking in a rear view mirror or side mirrors?

Just look at all these places my eyes would have to go in a Prius:
gEe8mf.jpg

Compare that to a single central screen.

Anything in the center... Same same with the model 3. Steering wheel buttons are just short cuts for the what's in the main center panel and have a tactile feel so you can operate w/o looking... Like touch typing...video game controllers. Same with vents... Just put your hand near the vent...feel and adjust... Easy peasy.

Now.. That color HUD... it's pretty cool... Yeah... Not augmented reality...but it's standard equipment on the Prius Prime. Pretty sure no one would complain if it was included, option or standard on the Model 3.