Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Charge to 80% or 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much of my reading seems to indicate that we should be charging to 80% to maximize long-term battery life. I don't know if that has changed with the Model 3. The reason for the question is that the "Trip" indicator on the charging slider is 90%. There is still room to go to 100% and I get that I should avoid that if at all possible.

I would think that I should be trusting Tesla and be comfortable charging to 90%, but I'm looking for confirmation. Most of our driving is longer distances and the 90% would make a difference, but wouldn't be critical. Going to 80% might have me return up at less then 20% (when the indicator is orange).

What's the better option?

Much of my reading seems to indicate that we should be charging to 80% to maximize long-term battery life. I don't know if that has changed with the Model 3. The reason for the question is that the "Trip" indicator on the charging slider is 90%. There is still room to go to 100% and I get that I should avoid that if at all possible.

I would think that I should be trusting Tesla and be comfortable charging to 90%, but I'm looking for confirmation. Most of our driving is longer distances and the 90% would make a difference, but wouldn't be critical. Going to 80% might have me return up at less then 20% (when the indicator is orange).

To charge what you need to make your trips, whether thats 80%, or 90%, or even 100%. You should not be "avoiding 100% if at all possible". You should be "charging to 100% when you are making a long trip, but not every day".

Also, you are not going to get a "consensus" on this topic. Its one of the most debated things here on TMC over the year ish I have been here. If you search the forum, you will likely find dozens of threads on the topic, so you can read everyones opinions (which is what they are).

I don't know if it shows the same for you but on my Tesla App, my slider shows 90-100% as "Trip" and 50-90% as "Daily." So I think you can charge up to 90% on a daily basis if that's what you need. Obviously, if you need less, no need to charge more, I would think.

I have been charging between 80-90% on a daily basis and then up to 100% before I go on longer trips.

YMMV.

Tesla (including Elon himself) has stated several times charge to 90% and enjoy life.

You will get battery zealots on here that will tell you anything different than <fill in what they do> is like killing kittens while setting fire to schools and question if you should even be allowed to own a Tesla. All evidence is that, yes, it does make a difference.... in that in 10 years, you might have ~15 miles difference in capacity vs the set-n-forget 90% person.

I don't know if it shows the same for you but on my Tesla App, my slider shows 90-100% as "Trip" and 50-90% as "Daily." So I think you can charge up to 90% on a daily basis if that's what you need. Obviously, if you need less, no need to charge more, I would think.

I have been charging between 80-90% on a daily basis and then up to 100% before I go on longer trips.

YMMV.

FWIW, I have my charging set to 90%, and charge every single time my car hits my garage. I have a 1 year old model 3P, that now has 17.5k miles on it, and my 90% charge has gone from 279 to 273. Many others with "charging regimens" show a much lower 90% than I do over the same period. /shrug.

FWIW, I have my charging set to 90%, and charge every single time my car hits my garage. I have a 1 year old model 3P, that now has 17.5k miles on it, and my 90% charge has gone from 279 to 273. Many others with "charging regimens" show a much lower 90% than I do over the same period. /shrug.
My model 3P has less than 2000 miles on it and I was getting 279 miles at 90% charge until 40.50 update. Then it dropped overnight to 265 miles at 90%.

Reactions: stinkythegrump

There's no definitive answer, it's your choice because it's a compromise. Elon recommends setting it at 90% and forgetting it, though 80% is better for battery range longevity. Elon's point is the marginal advantage in battery range longevity is outweighed by the utility of greater range in daily use.

In my opinion, anyone asking about battery longevity is concerned about it, so they should initially try the more conservative approach, until they gain enough experience to figure out what works best for them.

Just looking at your question, I'd ask is 80-20 better or worse than 90-30? I have seen no issues reported with running the battery down to 20% or less, and you get the benefit of faster charging for longer when you hit a supercharger, if you start below 20%. I would start at 80%, and if it cramps your lifestyle, move it to 90%.

There indeed are plenty of battery zealots in this forum who "know" that the science backs up their battery opinions.
If you charge to 80 and think you'll regularly arrive below 20, then charge to 90+
Any miniscule battery degradation after 50,000 miles will be much better for the car than running out of juice a single time on the road. I'd never drive below 20, especially since I live in a cold climate. It's not worth the risk.

I charge to 100 about twice a month. The rest of the time I go between 80/90.
I'm at 4,000 miles. My 100 percent charges started out at 310, went down to 294(yeah I panicked a bit because I didn't understand it's normal lol), and now my 100 percent charges have settled up around 305/306.
It's all good my friend. Do what will make you sleep better at night!

Very similar. It's the Ron Popeil method: "Set it and forget it!"
I'm only at 10,500 miles, but a 90% charge is 276 miles right now.
Wasting brain cells on "managing" my charging means less cells for me to dull with wine. That's the priority.

1*6VKH9cQeTIO9AYYQU9gYkw.png

Why not split the difference at 85? I prefer 88, myself. Something something Back To The Future. ;)