TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Charging cost? - Significant increase in Electric bill

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Djnas786, Aug 3, 2018.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Start at the top of a mountain road with a cold-soaked battery. Turn-on range mode (which turns-off the battery heater) and coast down the mountain. The regen will never start because you didn't have any in the first place and you're not using power from the motors/battery to enable any warming. You'll get to the bottom of the mountain still with no regen and will have wasted a lot of energy in the form of heat via the brakes. A lot of heat. I can't imagine the amount of energy required to warm the battery is more than the amount lost to the brakes.

2. bijan

bijan Member

Is this on a model S or X? Model 3 has no dedicated battery heater. Apparently it can run extra power through the motor to generate heat, haven't played with the power meter to check.

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Ah. Sorry. Model S and X. I forgot that the Model 3 was different in that regard. Thanks for clarifying.

4. Lon12

Lon12 Member

Also no power meter displayed value on the 3. Just a little thin black line. :(

5. Ryengjoe

Ryengjoe Member

Teslafi allows you to monitor your electricity consumption quite accurately. It tracks the kWh usage and efficiency of charge and displays the total monthly cost. You can go into their settings and adjust your electricity rate after you receive your bill to take into account all of the discounts/charges/fees on top of the electricity rate.

My house is not on time-of-use billing (yet) so I pay a flat rate per kWh of 7.7 cents up to 1000kWh and 8.9 cents after 1000kWh.

I spend about $60-70 a month on electricity for my Model 3, so a pretty good discount from about $300-$400 a month on gas i was spending before.

6. ben1628

ben1628 Member

I was spending the same amount of money because of premium gas, I estimate I will save basically the same amount every months

The scary thing is we will save on $3600 a year even if the gas remains at less than $1

$36000 in ten years wow

• Like x 1