Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the Type 2 plug is used on Model 3 for the Mobile Connector & Supercharger in America

America is different - Tesla use the bottom right "TESLA US" one there (for S, X and 3, for both superchargers and destination chargers):

main-qimg-ec11e286f8c175fa9871b605921ba89c

Not a lot! All Sales moved to Chadstone (a shopping mall), lounge closed except during weekday hours, can’t buy even minor parts like trim clips -have to email and mail order, and for first time ever staff person on desk generally unhelpful. Signs of financial stress Tesla is under - it sure isn’t the customer focussed organisation it was.

Hmm, except converting the old “sales” area to more service centre oriented space is actually a good thing for customer focus. Richmond was always a PITA to get to, hardly any parking and on a weekend not much around so Chadstone is a far better and more customer focussed option.

Hmm, except converting the old “sales” area to more service centre oriented space is actually a good thing for customer focus. Richmond was always a PITA to get to, hardly any parking and on a weekend not much around so Chadstone is a far better and more customer focussed option.
Saw your sig - what price did you advertise your LEAF, what price did you get & how long did it take to sell?

So the question still remains, why change from the Type 2 to CCS Combo 2?
My guess is ‘economies of scale’, to match Europe’s legal mandate, not for a practical purpose

Because the CC2 doesn't require HV switching inside the charger to achieve DC charging like the Tesla Type 2 does, Generic Type 2 plugs don't DC charge. It, CCS2, reduces complexity but still allows backwards compatibility with Type 2 AC charging. CCS2 will be the plug of choice for a long time to come.

Type 2 is a 3 phase charging plug where Tesla pairs up two each of the L1,L2,L3 and neutral pins, by switching inside the charger) to provide a DC pathway. I had the charger fail just after we completed our across Australia trip and could only charge on L1 single phase, no 3 phase or DC charging would work. USA is different as they typically only have a single phase supply hence the design of the Tesla plug which uses the same two pins for AC and DC charging.

Because the CC2 doesn't require HV switching inside the charger to achieve DC charging like the Tesla Type 2 does, Generic Type 2 plugs don't DC charge. It, CCS2, reduces complexity but still allows backwards compatibility with Type 2 AC charging. CCS2 will be the plug of choice for a long time to come.

Type 2 is a 3 phase charging plug where Tesla pairs up two each of the L1,L2,L3 and neutral pins, by switching inside the charger) to provide a DC pathway. I had the charger fail just after we completed our across Australia trip and could only charge on L1 single phase, no 3 phase or DC charging would work. USA is different as they typically only have a single phase supply hence the design of the Tesla plug which uses the same two pins for AC and DC charging.
Ok, thanks for the explanation

America is different - Tesla use the bottom right "TESLA US" one there (for S, X and 3, for both superchargers and destination chargers):

main-qimg-ec11e286f8c175fa9871b605921ba89c
Great picture, I’d never seen it so simply presented before, thanks.
Does anyone have a link to a handy “cheat sheet” of power outlet/charger types in Australia, for the Model 3, and what adapters you’d need to use each (Superchargers, Three Phase, 240v, CHAdeMO?, etc)
I’ve seen a few sites, but they all try and cover Model S/X which now confuses things for the CCS Combo 2 Model 3.

Reactions: Stratman
Does anyone have a link to a handy “cheat sheet” of power outlet/charger types in Australia, for the Model 3, and what adapters you’d need to use each (Superchargers, Three Phase, 240v, CHAdeMO?, etc)
I’ve seen a few sites, but they all try and cover Model S/X which now confuses things for the CCS Combo 2 Model 3.

Model 3 charging options would be almost identical to the S & X, as all AC charging uses the Type 2 portion of the CCS2 port, except adding CCS2 for fast DC charging/supercharging and taking away CHAdeMO.

From Tesla's Model 3 FAQ
What charging options are available for Model 3?

Model 3 comes with the same charging options as all Tesla cars. In addition to the Supercharger and Destination Charging networks, Model 3 can access CCS Combo 2 public charging stations without any adapters. Learn more about home charging installation and Supercharging.

Last edited:
Can someone please advise on the following charging questions for the Model 3 in Oz:

-What additional equipment do we need to charge at public charge points that DON'T have cables but sockets only?
Eg there are come Chargefox Type 2 public chargers at nearby shopping centres but I noted they don't have any cable and you must provide your own. Given the Model 3 will come with a Tesla supplied UMC that only has a 240v 10A plug on one end I presume I need to buy some kind of adapter? Or do they come with a Type 2 plug on the other end as well?

-What can we use if the power point is further away than the 6m long UMC cable Tesla supplies?
I suspect extension cords are a big No No for safety reasons?

- Using 3 Phase wall sockets seems confusing. Can someone explain it?
Eg you need a "Euro adapter" from Tesla AND have to have specific plugs apparently for 20A and 32A? Also how can you tell whether a 3 phase socket is 20A or 32A? I presume it says it on the socket? And you always have to do this check before choosing which adapter you should use (20A vs 32A)?

Can someone please advise on the following charging questions for the Model 3 in Oz:

-What additional equipment do we need to charge at public charge points that DON'T have cables but sockets only?
Eg there are come Chargefox Type 2 public chargers at nearby shopping centres but I noted they don't have any cable and you must provide your own. Given the Model 3 will come with a Tesla supplied UMC that only has a 240v 10A plug on one end I presume I need to buy some kind of adapter? Or do they come with a Type 2 plug on the other end as well?

-What can we use if the power point is further away than the 6m long UMC cable Tesla supplies?
I suspect extension cords are a big No No for safety reasons?

- Using 3 Phase wall sockets seems confusing. Can someone explain it?
Eg you need a "Euro adapter" from Tesla AND have to have specific plugs apparently for 20A and 32A? Also how can you tell whether a 3 phase socket is 20A or 32A? I presume it says it on the socket? And you always have to do this check before choosing which adapter you should use (20A vs 32A)?

What additional equipment do we need to charge at public charge points that DON'T have cables but sockets only?
You can't/don't use the UMC with BYO cable chargers, you'll only need a Type 2 to Type 2 Cable

What can we use if the power point is further away than the 6m long UMC cable Tesla supplies?
You "can" use an extension cord, just make sure it's a heavy duty type and use necessary protection (e.g. Weather Resistant Cover, Portable Safety Switch)

Using 3 Phase wall sockets seems confusing. Can someone explain it?
You explained it pretty well yourself.
Euro "Pigtail" adapter? ... Yes (It replaces the UMC's 3 pin 10A plug).
20A & 32A cables? ... That's up to you, I believe 32A is more common.
Yes, It'll normally say on the socket, but they're physically different (32A is bigger)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ranu and Dakah3
Can I dial down the charge rate from the car screen alone? There are times when I have excess solar and I want to keep it to 25A or less so my solar inverter/ 20kw battery can supply directly rather than swap the wall connector from one circuit to another.

Yes you can adjust the amps on the charging screen or instead of a HPWC, you could use one of these Zappi Wall Chargers

Reactions: Stratman
Many thanks, starting to get my head around all these different connectors and different terms used for same type connectors.
Looking around Perth on plugshare it looks the type 2 to type 2 cable may be the most useful as appears to be more common and are what most Macca's here are putting in , and not sure may put out a higher charge rate than J1772?
Most T2 to T2 chargers in Perth are 30amp single phase (7kW) like the T1 (J1772), although the more recent T2 to T2 are 3phase. But I think M3 can only draw 11kW anyway.

Thanks for the report. That’s one I will be using in the future. Shame they’re doing the stupid “2 stalls only” again. Give many model S/X are likely to occupy them unknowingly and the large number of Model 3s soon, I envision I’ll be stuck there often waiting in the queue.
They're not doing it on purpose, they just take time to install. St Leonards now has CCS2 on all stalls for example.