Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First CCS2 Superchargers getting installed today at St Leonards.
BD98106F-3A52-4955-9C0A-4D2D6C339527.jpeg 84EB3620-DC00-41F8-AA8A-0159B21FCE6A.jpeg

Reactions: Mark E and paul3
I went for a walk earlier and checked out the new CCS2 cables on the Richmond Supercharger. Photos below:

View attachment 415681
View attachment 415683 View attachment 415682

Also I noticed the sales area was locked, only one staff around and the showroom floor totally empty. Not sure what's going on?
Not a lot! All Sales moved to Chadstone (a shopping mall), lounge closed except during weekday hours, can’t buy even minor parts like trim clips -have to email and mail order, and for first time ever staff person on desk generally unhelpful. Signs of financial stress Tesla is under - it sure isn’t the customer focussed organisation it was.

BTW, I would have hoped they’d be upgrading to V3 chargers at the same time

Most V2 sites will not be upgraded to V3. They're currently testing V3 at a few locations and presumably new sites after then will start to be V3. (Although it's generally speculation - they could continue with a mix of V2 and V3 sites)

For example, between Melbourne and Sydney, when the current SCs are consistently busy, they'd probably rather add more sites in between the current ones, than replace the current ones. So perhaps, Yass, Wangaratta etc. Again this is speculation.

Reactions: baillies
So the Type 2 Supercharger plug is slower than the CCS2 Supercharger plug?
Potentially yes as fastest Type 2 Supercharger is currently 150Kw whilst there are already non Tesla CCS2 chargers rated up to 350Kw.
However the max speed of the charge will depend on a lot of factors including the charging machine the cable is connected to and the max charge speed of your car, your cars state of charge, ambient temperature, battery temperature etc.

Yeah australia is well down the list. It might be a couple of years til we get V3.
Indeed, there are thousands of them elsewhere in the world that will be in need of V3 long before Australia which is literally the worst EV market in the western world.

Also Elon had commented that V3 was going to be for “select high traffic sites on long routes” not for every new site that gets built fro now. I suspect V3 is more expensive and this they’ll be picky about where they are installed.

I don't think it will be *years*. Before being announced Elon said that V3 sites were cheaper for Tesla (I can't find a reference now but I'm not sure if this was to build, to operate, or both). I think it was something to do with the shorter charger times mean fewer stalls to serve the same number of cars as V2 (or the same number of stalls to serve more cars) and the fact that V3 is more easily able to integrate battery storage in to each site (reducing peak energy costs, and - entirely my speculation - allowing the batteries to provide revenue from grid services in times of low usage).

In other words, V3 will be the "new standard" and all new superchargers will be V3 after a certain point in time. (Exception - in the US they still have the 72kW urban superchargers, that we don't get here - and probably won't as they only have room for one cable)