Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 colour choice - I’m indecisive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m finally looking to place a custom order for one of the refreshed model 3’s.

I’m assuming that it’s unlikely to be any inventory cars in the next quarter or any discount applied seeing as I missed out on the last one!?

I’m stuck on choice of colour for both exterior and interior. I’m totally in love with black after seeing it in person, it has a real nice mean look but I’ve heard so many bad comments about smudges etc.

My next option I’m considering now is MSM as it looks really good with the new Uber turbine wheels! Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated (if anyone has any pictures they can share - that would be great!)

Also - should i go for white interior?

Thanks,

Teza

If there is any inventory they will be 2020 models so unless there is a big discount I would hold out for a 2021 model anyway at this point.
That will mean no chrome so it will be really really black if you go for the black paint

As for the white interior sure so long as you don't own dogs or children and you like cleaning

Hi all,

I’m finally looking to place a custom order for one of the refreshed model 3’s.

I’m assuming that it’s unlikely to be any inventory cars in the next quarter or any discount applied seeing as I missed out on the last one!?

I’m stuck on choice of colour for both exterior and interior. I’m totally in love with black after seeing it in person, it has a real nice mean look but I’ve heard so many bad comments about smudges etc.

My next option I’m considering now is MSM as it looks really good with the new Uber turbine wheels! Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated (if anyone has any pictures they can share - that would be great!)

Also - should i go for white interior?

Thanks,

Teza
Have a look at @LongRanger 's post if you want to see a shiny example of MSM and White Seats:

Model 3 paint correction and ceramic protection

Or my MSM with Black interior:

PPF and Ceramic Coating with Zoldani Auto Salon

Also, don't forget to use a referral code to get your free supercharging miles when you do place your order.

I would not expect the discount to be significant on inventory cars, but I imagine there will be some discount to clear them out. Given the choice between a 2020 and 2021 car though, the upgrades would be worth a fair amount I'd say.

Colour wise it really is to taste. There is no bad colour.

Black vs white? I went with white, but I also stopped wearing jeans whenever I drive it, even though I've read that getting blue dye off the seats is no big deal. So, it depends on how much you might worry about that really. I have read about people saying they've done many tens of thousands of miles on the white seats, with kids, etc, and marks have just wiped off, so..

For reference on white seats, I live in RainsVille West Rainy Pembrokeshire, we have mud, sheep and other pets.

protect the white like you would any other seats and no problem.

sure, it will wear over time but it really brings the interior to life and is well worth it imo.

also solves any latent inner Tom Selleck or
Mid life crisis issues for prospective owners, it’s different and makes you feel like Liberace.

I witnessed all the colours lined up in a row, customer cars, driven in winter conditions, typical winter overcast. MSM hid the dirt the best, black was worst iirc. Oddly, white looks ok even if dirty.

We have blue, wife's car, her choice. If I was choosing, with benefit of a years ownership, MSM.

Reactions: JS77 and Durzel
I would not expect the discount to be significant on inventory cars, but I imagine there will be some discount to clear them out. Given the choice between a 2020 and 2021 car though, the upgrades would be worth a fair amount I'd say.

Do you think that most buyers are tracking the day-by-day changes that we do here?

i believe that 90% of the buyers don't realize that a car they order today might be matched with last month's production. They only realize that they put in an order, and are a VIN number after a human-scale delay. It still feels as if they are ordering from the factory. Even if they were informed that they could get a slightly different configuration if they ask for a re-match with a 2021 VIN, they might not choose to wait in the queue for upcoming production.

I would recommend to my friends that they wait for a heat pump, but I expect that 50%-80% of the buyers don't even know the value of an Octovalve heat pump. ("So it is like an air conditioner? But doesn't the 2020 model have an air conditioner?")

I would have guessed that there is more of an expectation of a discount with a '7 day reject'. The Tesla online prices for slightly used cars are barely discounted from full retail, and they seem to readily sell them. Perhaps I'm underestimating the value some people see from getting one *today*. Most people don't seem to mind buying a car that has been test driven by a dozen people at a traditional dealer, instead preferring to test drive the specific car they will buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel and Zakalwe
Not trying to revive my old thread, but I would avoid Black....

From the very start, I had my heart set on Black after seeing it in person and loving that stealth look. But both Model 3s I ended up rejecting had massive paint defects and both times, 2 different Tesla technicians told me that black has the most number of paint issues and advised I order MSM or White as both of those have statistically the least number of paint-related issues.

Also, for some reason, Black models Frunk underside is always hit and miss in terms of paint coverage... at least from the ones I personally inspected! :(

Oddly, white looks ok even if dirty.
Really?
20191202_151248.jpg

this was after 100 miles of salty winter roads
It's fine in the summer but it was hard work in winter

Of your two front runners I’d go for MSM. I had a black car once and the swirls were a bugger to keep on top of.

I love my white interior. I’m not heavy on cars and only done 4k so the fact it’s kept as new doesn’t mean that much. It just lifts the interior and always gets positive comments.

The white interior is great IMO - still the thing that gets the most compliments when people get come for a look. And nice and airy of course.

I went blue and am very happy, but had MSM as 2nd choice.
IMG_20201010_150412.jpg

And like the earlier person noted, don't forget the referral code - I found out too late....

:(

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and Durzel
Not trying to revive my old thread, but I would avoid Black....

From the very start, I had my heart set on Black after seeing it in person and loving that stealth look. But both Model 3s I ended up rejecting had massive paint defects and both times, 2 different Tesla technicians told me that black has the most number of paint issues and advised I order MSM or White as both of those have statistically the least number of paint-related issues.

Also, for some reason, Black models Frunk underside is always hit and miss in terms of paint coverage... at least from the ones I personally inspected! :(
There is a reason why they stopped making flat black the free colour even though it is cheaper to apply than multicoat white....

• Love
Reactions: Radders
Another happy black LR Model 3 owner here as well. No paint defects that I can find. I did manged to catch the lower section of the front 'bumper' on a rock a while ago. I only spotted it some time later when washing the car, but the paint was removed down to black plastic. You can't see this minor scrape against the black paint (I only found it as I could feel it), but I suspect any other colour and the black scratch would be visible.

I'm not a fan of the chrome delete, and of all the refreshed model colours, I think the black is the only one that really suits the black handles etc., but I know I'm probably in a minority on here ;)

BlackM3.jpg

Last edited: