Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 console wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, here is my first attempt with Gen 2 version. I didn't do a perfect install but not too bad for a first attempt with this material. I'm not so OCD that I can't live with it for now, but I may change out the center piece as I didn't get it quite right. I was never any good with wall paper and working this is very similar (probably due to lack of patience). I do think the cup holder section was much easier using the handles and Marks method shown on the video. I made one small error in placement but not enough for me to worry about it. After doing this install I have sent Mark some suggestions on things he could do to make it easier for a beginner (like me), especially if your eye sight is a bit weak. I think the Titanium looks really nice and compliments that dash in a nice subtle way. Photos included: 1. the kit as it comes from RPM 2. The Cup cutouts 3. The Center piece 4. The top door 5. Spray cleaner 6. The cup holder installed 7. The entire install 8. Another view of entire install you can clearly see my small error on the cup edge. Note that they may not show in the right order.
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1868.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG
IMG_1870.JPG

Ill throw mine in the mix. Asked RPM if they could cut one out of this shadow black pattern I saw on the 3M website and they did! Not 100% on the pattern but the cuts were just fine. Took a fair amount of stretching and manipulation but in the end it turned out nice imo.

Attachments

• B209173E-A04A-4178-AA1B-91C549441D55.jpeg
    B209173E-A04A-4178-AA1B-91C549441D55.jpeg
    575.8 KB · Views: 194
  • 7579327C-DD4C-4A23-AB5F-DF0A37CA558C.jpeg
    7579327C-DD4C-4A23-AB5F-DF0A37CA558C.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: PoitNarf
This looks great. Do you have experience with hand cutting the wraps? Looks perfect.

Nope, just winged it. I actually took measurements and cut them to fit. I did the cup holder by hand. I installed and cut along the cup holders. Everyone should give it a try. I used less than half the roll I bought. If you mess up, you have enough to do it again. Knife less 3m tape might work well too. I got cut files from another member but couldn't get them to work but I was anxious to get it done.

I had originally installed the brushed black metal wrap but kind of screwed it up around the cup holder. Saw the new matrix black option so I ordered that yesterday. Hopefully I’ll have better success installing this stuff the second time around.

So I installed the matrix black vinyl wrap from Abstract Ocean and I’m happy with the change from brushed black metal. I think the matrix black matches with the Model 3 interior better. I did a much better job around the cup holder section thanks to the install tape that now holds the vinyl in place. Fit is not perfect, the cuts seem to be a bit too short on the edges so I do see a tiny bit of the shiny piano black showing through on the sides if I look hard enough. It will do for now. I took some photos with both the brushed black metal and matrix black installed side by side in case anyone wanted a direct comparison.

F5D344D6-A31E-4E97-9A22-04C2F6529B07.jpeg

D7752F73-0E38-4E5C-BA6E-52C1B21E6458.jpeg

F94045E7-F9E1-411B-BDE7-F8B346948A31.jpeg

So I installed the matrix black vinyl wrap from Abstract Ocean and I’m happy with the change from brushed black metal. I think the matrix black matches with the Model 3 interior better. I did a much better job around the cup holder section thanks to the install tape that now holds the vinyl in place. Fit is not perfect, the cuts seem to be a bit too short on the edges so I do see a tiny bit of the shiny piano black showing through on the sides if I look hard enough. It will do for now. I took some photos with both the brushed black metal and matrix black installed side by side in case anyone wanted a direct comparison.

View attachment 308524
View attachment 308525
View attachment 308523
Matrix black looks great, and matches your kagu floor mats, nicely.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Wow! Seems like everyone has had a lot of luck wrapping the console. My experience has not bee as good.

I ordered the matte black urethane Xpel Stealth wrap from RMP TESLA; anxiously waited about 3 weeks for it to arrive. I wanted the installation to go well so I watched the video on the rpm_tesla site twice to make sure I had the instructions down. I am extremely disappointed with the results.

The console now looks like it severely worn with 'chips' on the edges of each of the three sections. I'm embarrassed to let anyone see it.

When I finished the project, the edges looked fine - no bubbles, a clean tight finished look. By the next morning, the flaws showed up. Being an experienced do-it-yourselfer, I thought I had taken the time and effort to do the job right - watching the installation video, lots of water sprayed on my hands, the console and the film, a heat gun to help with the edges.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there something that can be done to 'fix' this? Maybe heating the film again with the heat gun? Have sent an email to RPM TESLA but haven't received a response. If there is no fix, I'll probably remove the film and maybe go with some of the installations mentioned above.

Wow! Seems like everyone has had a lot of luck wrapping the console. My experience has not bee as good.

I ordered the matte black urethane Xpel Stealth wrap from RMP TESLA; anxiously waited about 3 weeks for it to arrive. I wanted the installation to go well so I watched the video on the rpm_tesla site twice to make sure I had the instructions down. I am extremely disappointed with the results.

The console now looks like it severely worn with 'chips' on the edges of each of the three sections. I'm embarrassed to let anyone see it.

When I finished the project, the edges looked fine - no bubbles, a clean tight finished look. By the next morning, the flaws showed up. Being an experienced do-it-yourselfer, I thought I had taken the time and effort to do the job right - watching the installation video, lots of water sprayed on my hands, the console and the film, a heat gun to help with the edges.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there something that can be done to 'fix' this? Maybe heating the film again with the heat gun? Have sent an email to RPM TESLA but haven't received a response. If there is no fix, I'll probably remove the film and maybe go with some of the installations mentioned above.
Sorry to hear this. I have no experience doing a “wet” installation, but I thought it would have made the process easier, since you can reposition it. Hopefully someone can help you.

I had some problems with my 3M RPM center console wrap, and it took multiple emails before I got them to ship me a replacement — which was cut too small, and didn’t completely cover the flip lid. I emailed them again, but never heard back, so I gave up.

Just ordered the matte black Avery wrap from Kenriko. Going to try the installation this weekend.

Sorry to hear this. I have no experience doing a “wet” installation, but I thought it would have made the process easier, since you can reposition it. Hopefully someone can help you.

I had some problems with my 3M RPM center console wrap, and it took multiple emails before I got them to ship me a replacement — which was cut too small, and didn’t completely cover the flip lid. I emailed them again, but never heard back, so I gave up.

Just ordered the matte black Avery wrap from Kenriko. Going to try the installation this weekend.

Seems like customer service is not top-shelf issue for RPM TESLA. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Would be interested in knowing how the Kenriko installation goes. I'm looking at the same wrap. The reviews are great. I've watched the video and it seems to be a little trickier than I might have thought. Your comments on the installation would be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Maybe you should provide pictures of the failed install so that others actually know what you consider to be a poor result.

They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, in this case maybe it's worth 2,000.

Reactions: Model 3
The bubbles along the edges were not there when the installation was finished but showed up the next morning. Can they be 'removed?'

View attachment 309976 View attachment 309977

Did you use a credit card or similar item to squeegee out the film as it was being applied?

You can potentially get those bubbles out with a credit card even know it will just take more work.

I returned RPM’s Gen 1 brushed black due to the cup holder cut. They were very quick with the CC return.
I did Abstract Oceans brushed black. He kindly cut it E/W for me. GREAT communication. Also used AO blue lights in the console and glove box.

C55BCB7B-3881-411E-952C-3AF4244ACB88.jpeg

B22E1DCD-DF3E-439D-B596-DC3DA0895F1D.jpeg

FCC8D183-B78B-49FB-81E2-67C0BFF4F7DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: fseir
I returned RPM’s Gen 1 brushed black due to the cup holder cut. They were very quick with the CC return.
I did Abstract Oceans brushed black. He kindly cut it E/W for me. GREAT communication. Also used AO blue lights in the console and glove box.

View attachment 310611

View attachment 310612

View attachment 310613
Looks great! Definitely prefer the east-west grain. I understand why they chose the N-S cut as their default, but nice to know you can custom order E-W, too.

Reactions: 03DSG