Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash with police cruiser, who's at fault?

Who was at fault?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impossible to tell who was at fault in this one right now, not enough information. Hopefully both the cruiser and the M3 had their dashcams running.

Main questions that must be answered:

1. Who had the red light?
2. Did the cruiser have emergency lights/sirens activated? (even if it did, the officer driving the car still has the responsibility to ensure the intersection is clear if he/she was going through it on a red light)
3. Was speed a factor for either or both vehicles?

On news this morning to add to your point 2, the police were on a call with lights on, but by law they have to come to stop at red lights to avoid accidents. Apparently all involved (2 Police, 1 Tesla) were all hurt but none seriously. I guess we wait and see!

Reactions: lUtriaNt
... It doesn't matter who has the right of way if you end up dead.

Very wise words.

Practically every day I see pedestrians/shoppers walk behind a car backing out of it's stall in a parking lot. Pedestrians are either oblivious or think they have the right of way in that situation. Even if they do have the right way (disputable), that will be cold comfort when they're in the hospital with a crushed pelvis.

Reactions: john5520
Believe pedestrians always have the rightof way in a parking lot. Drives must be aware of walkers before proceeding. Can't just run them down.

The leading cause of pedestrian deaths by auto is poor situational awareness by both parties.

However, it is much safer to suck at driving near pedestrians, than to suck at walking near cars.

Very wise words.

Practically every day I see pedestrians/shoppers walk behind a car backing out of it's stall in a parking lot. Pedestrians are either oblivious or think they have the right of way in that situation. Even if they do have the right way (disputable), that will be cold comfort when they're in the hospital with a crushed pelvis.

Agreed.

Several years ago, we had a rash of incidents where pedestrians were getting hit by city buses making left hand turns. The pedestrians technically had the right of way, but they were crossing in such a manner that they were in the bus drivers' blind spots, vision of them had been blocked by the support pillar in front and to the left of the drivers. On the local message boards, the keyboard warriors were loudly lamenting how the pedestrians had the right of way and those pedestrians had no fault in the incidents and couldn't have done anything different to avoid being hit.

My response was always the same.....it doesn't matter if you have the right of way, you must drive/walk defensively around other vehicles at all times. Always assume the other drivers don't see you. If it makes you feel better, we can put "I had the right of way" on your tombstone.