Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.14.06 PM.png
My Idle drain so far, for the day.
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.12.52 PM.png
My drive for the day.

You know whats funny...

I just dropped my car off and asked them w
If this new BMS update improves the vampire drain. They said no. You will not notice anything different with this update. Its just a minor firmware update.

So... idk... its nice to hear from others that there is actually an improvement.. but.. tesla is saying the opposite
Tesla service centers have a record of not knowing anything about what's in the firmware updates. Get the update and see if it helps, because it probably does.

You know whats funny...

I just dropped my car off and asked them w
If this new BMS update improves the vampire drain. They said no. You will not notice anything different with this update. Its just a minor firmware update.

So... idk... its nice to hear from others that there is actually an improvement.. but.. tesla is saying the opposite
“Tesla” isn’t saying that (officially). A service advisor or tech who doesn’t know anything about it is saying that. They say lots of incorrect things. I wish Tesla trained their people to say “I don’t know” when they don’t know something rather than just saying the first answer that pops into their head.

I don’t know either. But what I do know is “minor firmware updates” are installed OTA, they don’t require a trip to the service center.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
“Tesla” isn’t saying that (officially). A service advisor or tech who doesn’t know anything about it is saying that. They say lots of incorrect things. I wish Tesla trained their people to say “I don’t know” when they don’t know something rather than just saying the first answer that pops into their head.

I don’t know either. But what I do know is “minor firmware updates” are installed OTA, they don’t require a trip to the service center.

Totally agree with the above... you can ask 2 different reps the same question and get 2 completely different answers. Example: the first time I requested an OTA update, the rep said the technician tried to send it to me multiple times and it was unsuccessful. She said I *MUST* take it to the SC because when they fail 2x, there is nothing else they can do... I have to take it in. I called the Tesla number again a few days later and spoke with a diff rep... he tried pushing it OTA... Bam, arrived.

I basically had to solve this drain issue myself by doing my own research on the internet/various forums... speaking from experience and with my own empirical evidence, the BMS update worked for me.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
FYI. Had low vampire drain until 2018.28.5.

I’m now seeing 5 miles lost overnight in cool weather, and more than that if parked outside during the day. At this rate, my vampire loss is nearly half of my energy consumption. Love the car, but not thrilled. Hopefully they will release updates to improve this.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Ok, somebody help me understand this vampire drain thing: I've been driving a Volt for the last two years. It has zero "vampire drain". Zip. Nada. I always charge it to full (free at work) and never plug it in overnight, and oftentimes the indicated range would actually go UP the next morning. Left it at the airport for 7 days last month (top level parking garage/uncovered) and returned with exactly the same range as I left with. I didn't really take care of the battery (MANY deep discharges to zero then full charge later) and after 2 years I had zero range loss.

So is the "vampire" drain unique to Tesla? Are they running some heavy-duty components while the car is parked? Losing 20 miles a day would be quite a deceptive marketing for the battery range.

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
So is the "vampire" drain unique to Tesla? Are they running some heavy-duty components while the car is parked? Losing 20 miles a day would be quite a deceptive marketing for the battery range.
It doesn’t lose 20 miles/day. If someone’s Model 3 is losing 20 miles/day there is something wrong— either there is a defect or they’re connected to a third party app. Tesla says the car loses about 1% per day, which is 3 miles. That’s about what I’ve experienced. It’s a 310 mile car, so 3 miles is a like rounding error in the range. If that’s not acceptable for you, I hope you continue to enjoy your Volt.

I left my car unplugged for 7 days in the same spot and watched vampire drain once a day. I don’t use any 3rd party apps so the car was “sleeping” until I checked it in the morning. I am on the latest sw and I live in Menlo Park CA where it’s cool in the evening and about 75C during the day.

These are snapshots at about 24 hour segments

292 - 281 (11)
281 - 271 (10)
271 - 269 (2)
269 - 266 (3)
266 - 262 (4)
262 - 259 (3)

So first two nights it dropped quite a lot but then it leveled out

It doesn’t lose 20 miles/day. If someone’s Model 3 is losing 20 miles/day there is something wrong— either there is a defect or they’re connected to a third party app. Tesla says the car loses about 1% per day, which is 3 miles. That’s about what I’ve experienced. It’s a 310 mile car, so 3 miles is a like rounding error in the range. If that’s not acceptable for you, I hope you continue to enjoy your Volt.
Why not zero?

Why not zero?
Because it’s a computer with a sophisticated system to protect its battery that costs five figures and is communicating with Tesla and responsive to your app. Think of how your iPhone loses charge even when you’re not using it, then think bigger. I don’t know why this bothers people so much— or is it just that people need something to complain about. Stop monitoring the car, leave it plugged in as Tesla recommends, and just enjoy the car.

Because it’s a computer with a sophisticated system to protect its battery that costs five figures and is communicating with Tesla and responsive to your app. Think of how your iPhone loses charge even when you’re not using it, then think bigger. I don’t know why this bothers people so much— or is it just that people need something to complain about. Stop monitoring the car, leave it plugged in as Tesla recommends, and just enjoy the car.
Maybe because it ain't in the owners manual?

On page 111.
Ahhh...so it is...thanks!!

Guess it would suck if you can't plug in and you are idle for long periods of time....parking lot for a trip, hike, etc. But yeah....its normal...plug-in and enjoy.

upload_2018-8-25_8-27-17.png

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Parked my model 3 with it plugged in but not charging on 8/18 at 9pm with 203 miles. It is above the set 50% threshold.

6.5 days later.

8/25 at 10am Left with 173 miles

Loss of 4.6 miles per day on average.
Which is about 1 kWh per day. Even at a high electricity rate of 25 cents/kWh like you may have in California, that’s about 25 cents/day (or 10 cents/day in Texas). This is why I wonder why it bothers some people so much. The concern seems overblown.