Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a new Model 3 ten days ago and am experiencing exactly what you are. 100+ miles a week of charge loss is significant and borderline alarming. It hasn’t really posed any problems but I’m paying for those electrons.

I picked up my Model 3 last Saturday, but this vampire drain really makes me go crazy.
After driving home, it idled for 2 days, I noticed the mileage dropped from 215 mi to 185 mi in two days. that's average 15 miles per day, I never saw this much vampire drain in my Model S, then I sign-up TeslaFi for detail monitoring, after 3 days, the vampire drain rate stays the same, here is one day excerpt from TeslaFi:

It loss 3.07 kWh per 20 hours equal to 14 miles.

View attachment 274378

I tried almost everything, turn off walk by unlock, turn off bluetooth on Phone, using Key card exclusively, no result.It seems like this car never sleeps.

For comparison, here is my Model S with Internet Always-on On vampire drain:

Idles for 24 hours, It lost 1.26 kWh per day
View attachment 274381
And here is my Model S with Internet Always-on Off vampire drain:

Sleep 22 hours and idles 2 hours, total 0.22 kWh per day

View attachment 274382
Does anyone experience the same with their Model 3?

Just got a new Model 3 ten days ago and am experiencing exactly what you are. 100+ miles a week of charge loss is significant and borderline alarming. It hasn’t really posed any problems but I’m paying for those electrons.

How many miles a day do you lose ?
Are you checking the app regularly since it’s a new car. ?
Do you have any third party apps running ?
How many miles on your car so far ?

You should only be losing about 20-30 miles a week. That is effectively what Tesla says in the manual. That is under the condition of not doing anything to the car. If you sat in the car at all familiarizing yourself with it you might see much higher (depending on details of the situation). And that is also “not a problem.” Depends on what you mean by 100 miles a week and how you are tracking/counting it.

Has the car been sitting for a week without you waking it? If so, that's on the high side and I would contact Tesla about it. It should be +/-1% per day.

Does it draw power when plugged in, not charging?

If you're seeing the difference between post-charge range and range after the car has sat, that's likely just the estimated range changing because the pack cooled off.

I had a model 3 order and cancelled in 2018 because my coop charger installation became super pricey. I’m having some range anxiety upon stumbling upon this thread. My coop garage sits around 50 degrees in the winter thus far. Seeing some people with a decent amount of drain. Would you guys say the normal drain rate would be < 5mi a day? I pretty much only drive on the weekends and without a home charger and lack of convenient local and economical charging options, its really making me second guess getting a model 3 this year.

Assuming that you have a drain rate of 2MPH, about the worst I've seen on my car at similar temps, then even the provided charger (UMC) plugged into a standard 120V outlet will get you about 3MPH, negating any loss. Of course you'll be spending money to go nowhere. Not sure what you mean by lack of "economical" charging options, but have you considered non-Tesla sources such as ChargePoint stations as an option? You'll only get about 25 miles of range per hour at 30A J1772 chargers but that could help. Cost can vary per kWh as each station owner sets the rate.

Assuming that you have a drain rate of 2MPH, about the worst I've seen on my car at similar temps, then even the provided charger (UMC) plugged into a standard 120V outlet will get you about 3MPH, negating any loss. Of course you'll be spending money to go nowhere. Not sure what you mean by lack of "economical" charging options, but have you considered non-Tesla sources such as ChargePoint stations as an option? You'll only get about 25 miles of range per hour at 30A J1772 chargers but that could help. Cost can vary per kWh as each station owner sets the rate.
Thank you! I’m in queens nyc, and the areas to charge are congested. NYC urban superchargers or destination chargers are usually in paid parking lots (with the ones in manhattan being super expensive to justify parking to charge). IMO there is a lack of public ev charging infrastrucutre thus far. There are more opening so i guess time will help, but i’m sure there will also be an uptick in ev car owners.

. I guess that is the hope when i get mine (waiting to see if hw3 will come out before Q3 tax rebate reduction).

Thank you! I’m in queens nyc, and the areas to charge are congested. NYC urban superchargers or destination chargers are usually in paid parking lots (with the ones in manhattan being super expensive to justify parking to charge). IMO there is a lack of public ev charging infrastrucutre thus far. There are more opening so i guess time will help, but i’m sure there will also be an uptick in ev car owners.
That's one of the differences between NYC and Silicon Valley. There are many companies here that have EV charging stations on premises for their employees. There's also a fair amount of Supercharger stations, Tesla destination chargers and alternate public charging networks around. Superchargers around the San Jose/South Bay area are in public parking lots or garages (no cost for parking). One free destination charger I ran into was in a parking lot behind a restaurant in Los Gatos. Others are tied to hotels where you have to be a guest to use them. Hopefully Tesla will expand their network in the NYC area and put them in areas where they are free to access.

My battery drain has ranged from a minimum 1-2 miles overnight (about 14 hours), to a maximum 17-18 miles in recent months. Can't determine a reason for the wide fluctuations as I don't have any third-party apps that monitor the car and I typically note the range when I park the car at night and then check it again when I start off in the morning. It hasn't been enough of a problem that I had to resort to trickle charging the car with the UMC plugged into a 120V outlet. On my recent trip to Hawaii I left the car in my driveway and lost 40 miles over the 8.5 days. Started with 166 miles of range, which dropped to 126 miles. Interior temperatures reached a low of 31F with daytime highs in the lower 50s. Yes, sometimes it gets cold here in CA :) .

I don’t understand why people are so willing to let third party software communicate with their car. I think the risks outweigh any potential benefit.
I was about to get some third party logging apps and I think you warned me about the risks in some other thread. So I never did get any third party stuff and my daily loss when parked has always been about 1% (2-3 miles). So, Thank you!

Last edited:
I parked at the Reno airport, parking garage, in-car temp right now is 74*. I have been losing more than 15 miles of range per day with sentry mode turned off. Is it possible the app Tesla Remote (which has a nice Apple Watch app) is pinging quite often?

I parked at the Reno airport, parking garage, in-car temp right now is 74*. I have been losing more than 15 miles of range per day with sentry mode turned off. Is it possible the app Tesla Remote (which has a nice Apple Watch app) is pinging quite often?

If the app is not configured correctly or poorly implemented it can keep your car in idle mode. Either that or one of your doors or the trunk is open. It's possible your car is not sleeping correctly for some other reason but that seems unlikely.

I would recommend you immediately change your Tesla password to something else, do not reauthorize Tesla Remote, and see what happens. If that fixes it, I would uninstall Tesla Remote and find a different app - or better yet, don't use one unless it provides some feature you REALLY want.

If you can't slow the drain, I hope you'll be back to your car soon!