Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright kiddos. I said I'd update on this. I had an issue with my delivery estimate showing early 2019/ late 2018 despite being an existing owner in Southern California. Tesla noted that there were two accounts under the same email address and on one of them my name was Mike and on the other it was Michael. The rep I spoke to said that the 3 reservation was on one account and my Model S was on the other, which meant I was being shown the delivery estimate for a non-owner. They said they'd merge the accounts and it would be all good. That was almost two weeks ago.

I've called 3 or 4 times since and each time they tell me they'll look into it and call me back. To date I haven't received a follow up call. Sad face. Today I called again, killed them with kindness and asked what the status was. The agent got an associate on the phone and they showed the account as merged but agreed that my delivery date was still off. After looking at it further they determined that I'm just being shown the wrong delivery estimate in the calculator but that I am indeed in the first wave of deliveries, right after employees.

So for anyone else that had this obscure problem, just keep calling and kill them with kindness. I'm pleasantly surprised that despite reserving on July 30th of this year, my ownership pushes me to the front of the line. I knew it got you some sort of priority but I didn't realize it would put you in front of the line.

Wow, reserving only a couple of weeks ago and it puts you ahead as though you did it on the first day. That's unexpected.

Wow, reserving only a couple of weeks ago and it puts you ahead as though you did it on the first day. That's unexpected.

Not really, the FAQ section of the Tesla Model 3 web site (Prior to delivery event), indicated for months that buying a Model S or X was the one thing folks could do to increase their priority. I believe it really only gives priority over non-owners, since employees and prior reserving owners are already in line and have established priority.

Alright kiddos. I said I'd update on this. I had an issue with my delivery estimate showing early 2019/ late 2018 despite being an existing owner in Southern California. Tesla noted that there were two accounts under the same email address and on one of them my name was Mike and on the other it was Michael. The rep I spoke to said that the 3 reservation was on one account and my Model S was on the other, which meant I was being shown the delivery estimate for a non-owner. They said they'd merge the accounts and it would be all good. That was almost two weeks ago.

I've called 3 or 4 times since and each time they tell me they'll look into it and call me back. To date I haven't received a follow up call. Sad face. Today I called again, killed them with kindness and asked what the status was. The agent got an associate on the phone and they showed the account as merged but agreed that my delivery date was still off. After looking at it further they determined that I'm just being shown the wrong delivery estimate in the calculator but that I am indeed in the first wave of deliveries, right after employees.

So for anyone else that had this obscure problem, just keep calling and kill them with kindness. I'm pleasantly surprised that despite reserving on July 30th of this year, my ownership pushes me to the front of the line. I knew it got you some sort of priority but I didn't realize it would put you in front of the line.

Thanks for the update Mike! I just bought an X 3 days ago but my reservation date is showing late 2018 (I reserved on the day I bought). I'll have to call them to get me moved up!

I have a similar issue. I'm an owner of two Teslas (a Model S and a Roadster), so I expected two priority slots for Model 3. But one of my Model 3 reservations showed "Early 2019" delivery, while the other correctly showed Oct-Dec 2017. I wrote to Tesla and they responded that it would be corrected in a few days. But now it's two weeks later and no change. (Well, a slight change; now it shows "Late 2018" for the first one.) Will ping them again if it doesn't get fixed within the next week or so.

If you think about it, I'm the prime candidate behind an employee: I'm willing to take first available, I'm an owner and I live in SoCal. A lot of people are holding out for the lower spec cars, employees as well.

Thanks for the update Mike! I just bought an X 3 days ago but my reservation date is showing late 2018 (I reserved on the day I bought). I'll have to call them to get me moved up!

Yeah, as soon as it shows up in your account give them a shout.

I have a similar issue. I'm an owner of two Teslas (a Model S and a Roadster), so I expected two priority slots for Model 3. But one of my Model 3 reservations showed "Early 2019" delivery, while the other correctly showed Oct-Dec 2017. I wrote to Tesla and they responded that it would be corrected in a few days. But now it's two weeks later and no change. (Well, a slight change; now it shows "Late 2018" for the first one.) Will ping them again if it doesn't get fixed within the next week or so.

That is exactly the problem I had (have). The reservation showed early 2019 and then maybe a week ago switched to late 2018. I don't think that switch has anything to do with a switch on my account though. I think everyone went to late 2018. My dashboard still doesn't show the proper delivery estimate though which makes me a bit nervous because if the invites to configure are all automated and this part of the automated system isn't working properly, I'm concerned I won't get my invite without a bunch of followup. I'll cross my fingers.

What do you think it means when it says "your selection allows us to inform you when new options become available" under the save button on the estimator site? Are they just saying they will email us when our model is available to design? Just seems like strange wording but I'm probably trying to read too far into it.

What do you think it means when it says "your selection allows us to inform you when new options become available" under the save button on the estimator site? Are they just saying they will email us when our model is available to design? Just seems like strange wording but I'm probably trying to read too far into it.

I noticed that change too. Gone is the "selection won't affect your place in line" too, though I'm not sure it actually does. Given the change in wording, I've opted to select the first production (i'm between bare bones long range or upgraded standard), and figure I can defer if I want the standard range. Better too receive info early and defer than not receive info and wish I had.

I noticed that change too. Gone is the "selection won't affect your place in line" too, though I'm not sure it actually does. Given the change in wording, I've opted to select the first production (i'm between bare bones long range or upgraded standard), and figure I can defer if I want the standard range. Better too receive info early and defer than not receive info and wish I had.

Yeah, I noticed the change today. Seems like an interesting change.

I get your thought process about choosing long range but say they can move you up in the standard queue then will you not be notified? I think it's hard to say.

Yesterday stopped by at local showroom (Bellevue WA) to check on the color options. Chatted some with the sales person. Not sure why he was being optimistic, but he said that the first day reservation holders might get theirs about one month earlier than the current estimates.

Yesterday stopped by at local showroom (Bellevue WA) to check on the color options. Chatted some with the sales person. Not sure why he was being optimistic, but he said that the first day reservation holders might get theirs about one month earlier than the current estimates.
Hell yes! If true, big if, then it would line up with Troy's calculator.

I keep hearing whispers from various places. This ^^^^ plus in another place, I heard the goal in the 3 month windows they give is for you to get your vehicle in month 1 of the 3.

For instance, I have the Nov-Jan window currently...the goal is supposedly to deliver as many as they can in month 1 of that, with the other 2 months as an "underpromise but overdeliver" buffer.

If any of that is true, we should know in the next 2+ weeks. If non-employee Day 1 res holders aren't invited to order by the end of Labor Day week, it's quite possible those first October deliveries may be lagging behind.

Yeh, but a few days before the delivery event, Bellevue sales rep told me they'd be offering M3 test drives before the end of August. I think they know less than most folks on this forum

Reactions: erthquake
If any of that is true, we should know in the next 2+ weeks. If non-employee Day 1 res holders aren't invited to order by the end of Labor Day week, it's quite possible those first October deliveries may be lagging behind.
With the limited options being offered for first production I don't know that they need that much time to schedule things. For cars being produced in mid to late October they may only need a few weeks notice. If no one has been asked to configure by early October then I'd begin to wonder.

On the other hand, given the ramp up, I don't know who they could have all the employee cars done by the end of October so that they could start on the non-employees.

With the limited options being offered for first production I don't know that they need that much time to schedule things. For cars being produced in mid to late October they may only need a few weeks notice. If no one has been asked to configure by early October then I'd begin to wonder.

On the other hand, given the ramp up, I don't know who they could have all the employee cars done by the end of October so that they could start on the non-employees.

It's tough to say. we've seen VINs >30 out there.....but cars are made out of order all the time.

I suppose we just have to wait.

Reactions: dsvick