Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for fun I scaled the the same Wheelbase as the Model S. Interesting that the back doors line up quite well, front door is a fair bit bigger on the Model 3. Doing this I get ~183" length to go with the 116.5" WB.
ozqpVIK.jpg

That's really interesting as it confirms that the Model 3 has a relatively long wheelbase in a relatively short car. It is indeed very different, but it is a good solution for interior room weight and aerodynamics.

Reactions: Red Sage and Lunarx
Just for fun I scaled the the same Wheelbase as the Model S. Interesting that the back doors line up quite well, front door is a fair bit bigger on the Model 3. Doing this I get ~183" length to go with the 116.5" WB.
ozqpVIK.jpg

Can you do another one with Model 3 scaled at 111 inch wheel base? The Audi A4, BMW 3, Mercedes C class range from 110.7 to 111.8 inch in wheel base. So most likely, Model 3 would be in the 111 inch range since Elon repeatedly said Model 3 is competing with those German big 3 cars. Thanks

Reactions: Red Sage
Can you do another one with Model 3 scaled at 111 inch wheel base? The Audi A4, BMW 3, Mercedes C class range from 110.7 to 111.8 inch in wheel base. So most likely, Model 3 would be in the 111 inch range since Elon repeatedly said Model 3 is competing with those German big 3 cars. Thanks

Judging by all the extrapolating done before, I really can't see the WB being under 114", and I really think it is more likely that it will be right around 116", but the overall length should be around 3 series sedan, ~182".

Judging by all the extrapolating done before, I really can't see the WB being under 114", and I really think it is more likely that it will be right around 116", but the overall length should be around 3 series sedan, ~182".
I really doubt it is 114 or 116 inch for Model 3 wheel base. Why would Tesla design a car that is half the price and has the same wheel base length as Model S which has 116.5 wheel base?? In absolute best case, Model 3 would be at 112 inch at best, just to beat out Mercedes C at 111.8 inch.

Last edited:
True, but wheelbase drives the maximum battery size, right? If it's going to look similar to the Model S/X platform. So it would make sense to keep the wheelbase as long as possible. Messes with the turning radius somewhat, but otherwise should be good...

• Love
Reactions: Lunarx
Keeping the wheelbase about the same also means the battery pack dimensions can be similar. Might keep hopes alive for battery swap opportunities… Imagine a P100L Model 3!

It is completely reasonable to expect the option for a battery upgrade on your Model 3.

But its battery will surely not be interchangeable with that of the Model S/X.

I agree. I was looking forward to a smaller, more maneuverable Tesla. The same WB as the Model S, means it will still drive like its a large sedan.
It is as heavy as a Large Sedan,
Perhaps Rear Wheel Steer will be an Option.
I don't think a larger wheelbase will hurt the handling, except in an AutoCross type of situation.
A 4000lb car is probably better off, with a large wheelbase for improved stability.

I'm sorry but I agree with the people who say those renderings are totally off. There is no way the Model 3 is several inches shorter than a 3 series. In fact sedan heights are pretty uniform, so you should have a far more accurate result just scaling then so they have the same height. The Model 3 is much longer than shown here, and I think you'll find it to be around 180".

I did some calculations of the life pictures on the streets, deviding the cars size by the the entire tire size. I came up with something like 185 inches, based on the 26.5" diameter. I could be off by some 5 inches, but it would fit into the 3 series- A4 category and with that video overlap.
Strangely the wheelbase would be almost the same size as the Model S, but that would make sense, because they could still fit a relatively big battery, even though the space where they would have to fit it in has become narrower, since they would have to keep the frame strength probably the same.