Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a big fan of using my cell phone for access. It's too unreliable - just itself, never mind with a radio-based app - and with so many different phones and versions on the market, I can imagine compatibility issues too. Needing to upgrade my phone when I upgrade my car? Please, no.

As a father of two daughters, I'm also not a fan of having the car unlock automatically from any sort of distance, especially if ALL doors are unlocked together. Too much of a security issue (bad person hiding on the other side of the car can get in when you do). So, BT app is a no-go for me.

But, what's preventing one from "old school", punching a hole in the corner of the key card and slipping it onto your keyring? Leave the phone app disabled, have the card in your hand, tap on the B-pillar, get in and go. That, I think, can work.

I don't know about punching a hole in the corner, but you could certainly slip it into into a holder attached to a key ring.

I'm not a big fan of using my cell phone for access. It's too unreliable - just itself, never mind with a radio-based app - and with so many different phones and versions on the market, I can imagine compatibility issues too. Needing to upgrade my phone when I upgrade my car? Please, no.

As a father of two daughters, I'm also not a fan of having the car unlock automatically from any sort of distance, especially if ALL doors are unlocked together. Too much of a security issue (bad person hiding on the other side of the car can get in when you do). So, BT app is a no-go for me.

But, what's preventing one from "old school", punching a hole in the corner of the key card and slipping it onto your keyring? Leave the phone app disabled, have the card in your hand, tap on the B-pillar, get in and go. That, I think, can work.
That certainly would work, but it removes the whole “keyless” part that is, in my opinion, one of the greatest convenience advancements in recent automotive history. I’m not concerned about distance with Bluetooth - BLE is already much lower distance than normal bluetooth and can be adjusted by changing the signal strength. I would guess that only the door closest to the key would unlock but at this point who can say for sure?

I do somewhat agree with your point about compatibility issues. I can’t speak for other manufacturers but Apple has always done a very good job with their Bluetooth stack on iPhones so I’m not really concerned too much. Android users will have much greater variability in hardware and drivers so compatibility could definitely be a bigger issue.

That certainly would work, but it removes the whole “keyless” part that is, in my opinion, one of the greatest convenience advancements in recent automotive history. I’m not concerned about distance with Bluetooth - BLE is already much lower distance than normal bluetooth and can be adjusted by changing the signal strength. I would guess that only the door closest to the key would unlock but at this point who can say for sure?

I do somewhat agree with your point about compatibility issues. I can’t speak for other manufacturers but Apple has always done a very good job with their Bluetooth stack on iPhones so I’m not really concerned too much. Android users will have much greater variability in hardware and drivers so compatibility could definitely be a bigger issue.

Where comes this idea that BLE has shorter range than classic Bluetooth? For normal user applications, they have same range (if designed for that, that is. Either one can be designed for lower power class and reduced range).

Where comes this idea that BLE has shorter range than classic Bluetooth? For normal user applications, they have same range (if designed for that, that is. Either one can be designed for lower power class and reduced range).

I have a BLE smart deadbolt on the front door of my home. I'd imagine it's very similar to what T3 will offer. When I'm driving up to my home in my car while still on the street perhaps ~50 feet from my door, my deadbolt auto-connects to my phone and unlocks. I'm surprised by the effective range of BLE, even while my phone is inside my car. There will be no range problems with the T3. Security problems maybe, but not range.

-Jim

It certainly has a 12V power source. It lists it in in the Convince section at the bottom.

Or did you think Elon said something about it last night....ha...ha.....ha <------ that's a funny I just made there because he hardly said squat last night.

Convenience

o Onboard maps and navigation

o Wi-Fi and LTE internet connectivity

o Keyless entry and remote climate control using the Tesla app

o Voice activated controls

o Bluetooth hands-free calling and media streaming

o 60/40 split folding rear seat to maximize cargo options

o Back-up camera

o Auto dimming rear-view mirror

o One-touch power windows throughout

o Power-adjustable side mirrors

o 12-volt power outlet
The presence of 12V power outlet has no bearing if an actual 12V battery is there or not.

The Model S unlocks all the doors with keyless entry, so I would imagine the Model 3 will as well (my wife's car doesn't and I find it annoying because my son is generally waiting impatiently on the other side of the car to get in, and I have to open the driver's door in order to unlock his door with him waiting on the sidewalk). gregd is saying he doesn't want keyless entry at all, which is fine. It can be turned off on the Model S and I'm sure it can be turned off on the Model 3.

My biggest concern is that it work reliably enough that the car is always unlocks right as I approach the car. I look forward to hearing owner reports about this.

Reactions: Runt8
Where are they going to get 12 volts from then? A voltage regulator?

If it has 12 volts ( whether a battery or the propulsion battery ) then why are you concerned where it comes from?
I'm not concerned about it. Someone asked if there was a 12V battery. You said there is a 12V power outlet. I'm just stating the fact that the presence of the 12V power outlet has no bearing if the car has a 12V battery. The 12V power outlet could be powered from the traction battery (it's not).

I've been so used to walking up to my car and having it unlock by me touching the handle or button, I'm unclear as to how this works on the 3. If you're using the phone, does that require you to have to remove the phone from your pocket to open the door? That would seem a step backward in convenience. I'm assuming that just the presence of the phone in your pocket, as you approach the car, is enough to unlock it.

Am I correct?

Reactions: N5329K
I've been so used to walking up to my car and having it unlock by me touching the handle or button, I'm unclear as to how this works on the 3. If you're using the phone, does that require you to have to remove the phone from your pocket to open the door? That would seem a step backward in convenience. I'm assuming that just the presence of the phone in your pocket, as you approach the car, is enough to unlock it.

Am I correct?
This is assumed how it works using bluetooth BLE. Having to physically pull out your phone would definitely be step backwards.

I would like the phone to automatically unlock the Model 3. Never again would a driver leave home without the phone!
This driver hardly ever leaves the house with the phone. The only exception is when I'm taking the old Triumph out (and being able to call AAA is a consideration). So for me, dealing with the Model 3 would be like dealing with the checkout line at Trader Joe's. Swiping and hoping, and hearing, "It's been doing that," now and again.
Not OK. Everything else about the car seems fine (other than the black interior, which is another non-starter).
Robin

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
I would like the phone to automatically unlock the Model 3. Never again would a driver leave home without the phone!
There was a demo on youtube on last Friday where the Model 3 host driver indeed said that the phone WILL automatically unlock the door via Bluetooth.

This is what he said concerning unlocking and locking the car.

1. There will be a NFC card that can be used to unlock and lock the doors by swiping it across the B pillar.
2. There will also be an opportunity to control the locking and unlocking of the car via GSM ( cell phone - long distance ) manually.
3. There will also be an opportunity to AUTO lock and AUTO unlock the car via your cell phone's bluetooth functionality. PROVIDED ( and this is a biggie that I think might be overlooked ) you have a multiple Bluetooth connectivity smartphone. For example: if your smartphone is connected via Bluetooth to a set of headphones and your smartphone can't simultaneously connect to another device via Bluetooth....then your smartphone won't be able to automatically lock and unlock your doors.
All of the latest standard company smart phones ( Samsung, apple, LG, etc ) automatically come with the ability to connect multiple Bluetooth devices.

Many 3rd party overseas inexpensive cell phones CAN'T connect to multiple Bluetooth devices at once.

My question is sort of self answering, however I would assume that this Bluetooth functionality would extend itself to tablets, laptops, and any device that can pair and control a Bluetooth device.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: JimmyAZ and Falkirk