Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Feature Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
I know we had a feature requests thread for the Model X that was very popular. I have not seen a similar thread for the Model 3 so thought I would start one. What features would you like to see on the Model 3?

Magnetorheological Suspension that's been first implemented in 2002 GM Cadillac Seville STS, then subsequently: Acura MDX, Audi TT, Audi R8, Cadillac DTS, SRX, STS, Chevrolet Corvette, Ferrari 599 GTB and Holden HSV Commodore...

Smart Materials (4 of 5): Magneto Rheological (MR) Fluid - YouTube

StandardAirborne.jpg

This is a mixed list of standard and options in no order.

- Definitely flat foldable rear seats. I want to be able to fit a road bike in the back while only removing the front wheel.
- Foldable front passenger seat
- Power liftgate
- Rear bi-level AC/heat vents
- Frunk with hooks for groceries (the door to my house in my garage is at the front of my car so I want groceries there to make it easy to get them in the house).
- 2 front, 3 rear 2.0A USB ports (one for everyone)
- Full LED headlights
- Electric windshield defog/defrost (saves energy over hot air)
- Heat pump cabin heating!!!!!!!!
- Utility trailer hitch (maybe 2,000lb capacity)
- No door handles (touch zone at base of windowsill maybe)
- Rubber diaphragms to cover suspension under vehicle for aerodynamics
- XM radio without premium sound and pano roof

I mostly hope the base car won't come with any crazy new (read: breakable and expensive) technology. I want traditional mechanical door handles, a normal windshield, spring suspension, etc. I am OK if they offer the fancy things as upgrades, but I would like to be able to opt out.

My list of things I do want (included or optional):
- adjustable seat belt shoulder height
- power memory seats
- LTE modem (I am OK if I pay for the data)
- supercharger access!
- heated seats/ steering wheel
- remote preconditioning
- push button start/ proximity key for door locks / individual memory settings for different keys
- Apple Car Play/ Android equivalent
- rear camera, parking sensors, auto pilot
- built in dash cam would REALLY cool
- leather seats
- Home Link (non-auto is OK)
- folding rear seats
- LED headlights
- heat pump heating would be awesome

I mostly hope the base car won't come with any crazy new (read: breakable and expensive) technology. I want traditional mechanical door handles, a normal windshield, spring suspension, etc. I am OK if they offer the fancy things as upgrades, but I would like to be able to opt out.

I could not agree with you more; they need to keep the Model 3 relatively simple especially compared to the Model X. Besides keeping the price down, it will help with what looks likely to be a future mismatch of service demand to service availability. An interesting note from the earnings call last week is Elon said the main way they will keep the price down for the Model 3 vs S and X is they will design the car for ease of manufacturing instead of a wish list of capabilities/features -- maybe they learned something from the Model X headache.

1) The Model 3 will with out a doubt have access to the Super Charger network. It would be nice if that was wrapped into the price instead of an extra charge.
2) The other feature I hope the Model 3 will have which will blow the competition away is the hardware necessary for full autonomy making it ready as soon as that is reliable enough and legal to launch.
3) I am a little worried that the 20% reduction in size will come from the back where they will probably not have the ability for jump seats any more. Even if jump seats are not available, I hope there is still a reasonable amount of trunk space like the Model S to fit a large dog without having to fold down the 2nd row seats.
4) good leg and head room for all 3 passengers in the second row.
5) I would like better ground clearance than the Model S maybe not as much as the X. It seems they were able to get great handling in the X with the higher ground clearance so why not have that on the Model 3.
6) I am almost certain they will have a dual motor option which will also help set it apart from the competition. The fact they have been able to increase range and handling with the duel motors on the S makes it a very attractive option.
7) a hitch option without having to go to a third party for that option. One way I believe Tesla Motors will get the range they need in the Model 3 while keeping prices down is by having extremely good drag coefficients which will suffer tremendously if anything is attached to the roof.
8) I would love it if they could finally get the safety regulators to allow camera stalks instead of side mirrors.
9) a central channel through the middle second row seat to optionally hold skis in a ski bag in for similar reasons to request #7

Tesla Motors always seems to want to do something with every vehicle to wow the car industry beyond the incredible range and performance they achieve with all their electrical vehicles. But as mentioned earlier, they need to keep the Model 3 more simple. The two features I see the Model 3 having that would fit this wow factor are hardware for full autonomy and camera stalk side mirrors.

I could not agree with you more; they need to keep the Model 3 relatively simple especially compared to the Model X. Besides keeping the price down, it will help with what looks likely to be a future mismatch of service demand to service availability. An interesting note from the earnings call last week is Elon said the main way they will keep the price down for the Model 3 vs S and X is they will design the car for ease of manufacturing instead of a wish list of capabilities/features -- maybe they learned something from the Model X headache.

1) The Model 3 will with out a doubt have access to the Super Charger network. It would be nice if that was wrapped into the price instead of an extra charge.
2) The other feature I hope the Model 3 will have which will blow the competition away is the hardware necessary for full autonomy making it ready as soon as that is reliable enough and legal to launch.
3) I am a little worried that the 20% reduction in size will come from the back where they will probably not have the ability for jump seats any more. Even if jump seats are not available, I hope there is still a reasonable amount of trunk space like the Model S to fit a large dog without having to fold down the 2nd row seats.
4) good leg and head room for all 3 passengers in the second row.
5) I would like better ground clearance than the Model S maybe not as much as the X. It seems they were able to get great handling in the X with the higher ground clearance so why not have that on the Model 3.
6) I am almost certain they will have a dual motor option which will also help set it apart from the competition. The fact they have been able to increase range and handling with the duel motors on the S makes it a very attractive option.
7) a hitch option without having to go to a third party for that option. One way I believe Tesla Motors will get the range they need in the Model 3 while keeping prices down is by having extremely good drag coefficients which will suffer tremendously if anything is attached to the roof.
8) I would love it if they could finally get the safety regulators to allow camera stalks instead of side mirrors.
9) a central channel through the middle second row seat to optionally hold skis in a ski bag in for similar reasons to request #7

Tesla Motors always seems to want to do something with every vehicle to wow the car industry beyond the incredible range and performance they achieve with all their electrical vehicles. But as mentioned earlier, they need to keep the Model 3 more simple. The two features I see the Model 3 having that would fit this wow factor are hardware for full autonomy and camera stalk side mirrors.
1) Agreed. In fact I'm fairly confident that it'll be included in the base price.
2) That makes two of us. It will have what they think is required for full autonomy but it's possible that they later find that another element is needed to get to full autonomy in the real world.
3) No chance of jump seats. From what I've read the ones in the MS are only big enough for children. I do expect there to be usable trunk space.
4) We'll probably lose a little space here but it has to have enough headroom for taller adults.
5) I'm expecting similar ground clearance to the MS and if you need more then you'll have to shell out for the Air Suspension option.
6) Definitely. Hopefully for both battery packs too.
7) Meh.
8) Maybe they could design it so there would be an easy upgrade path. So have the cabling for the cameras to both doors and wherever the small monitors would be placed and be able to swap the mirror out for a camera. This would come down to how much cost this would add to every vehicle.
9) Sure, added flexibility is always a good thing.

#9 was standard with a variety of cars decades ago. I recall that with a BMW sedan, even earlier with a Rover 2000TC ( that was nearly 50 years ago and may have been a option). I also had that with a Peugeot and a Citroën. This should be standard with Dual motors cars that have the cold weather package.

1)
5) I'm expecting similar ground clearance to the MS and if you need more then you'll have to shell out for the Air Suspension option.
8) Maybe they could design it so there would be an easy upgrade path. So have the cabling for the cameras to both doors and wherever the small monitors would be placed and be able to swap the mirror out for a camera. This would come down to how much cost this would add to every vehicle.

5) people do not get a speed limited air suspended car is not the same as being able to drive at normal speeds over rutted roads. But when I thought about it a bit more, my guess is you are right, the Model 3 will not have any more clearance than the Model S because it will need to be lower down to get better efficiency for better range on smaller cheaper battery. The Model Y is the more likely candidate for higher suspension.
8) Interesting idea. Why not have the camera stalks there as part of a regular side mirror. The side mirror could then fold in the way it does for the Model S for parking while leaving the stalks out. That way, as soon as it was legal, a software update could enable the stalk cameras to work while the regular side mirrors were folded in. Anyone not comfortable with the stalk mirrors could of course just use the regular side mirrors. The only problem would be cost and complication for a car trying to keep both of these factors low.

Complete dealbreakers:
- No 60/40 rear split
- Econobox styling
- No sunroof option

- A warning light for washer fluid almost empty. I mean, I can't believe my 2008 car didn't come with that!
- AM Radio!!!
- Spare tire (let the flame war begin!)

The current administrator of the NHTSA (Mark R. Rosekind) is surprisingly very much into rewriting the rules to allow new technology. I read about him and came away hopeful that this particular bureaucracy might actually be flexible enough for cameras to replace mirrors.

I'm curious. If cameras are used instead of mirrors where is/are the monitor(s) placed? Would they just use the center display or would there be two small monitors on the doors near you would normally look at the mirror? I would think near the side mirror would make more sense since that's where we look now. Plus at the same time you could see what's happening out the window.

I'm curious. If cameras are used instead of mirrors where is/are the monitor(s) placed? Would they just use the center display or would there be two small monitors on the doors near you would normally look at the mirror? I would think near the side mirror would make more sense since that's where we look now. Plus at the same time you could see what's happening out the window.

S3XY - most likely just like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455568730.926102.jpg

Features I would love to see or at least see as a option. If it had all these features it would be the best car in the world by a lot in my books.

Model x wind shield
c class interior quality
only LED lights/ intermittent indicators very important!!!! As it looks awesome on new model German prestige cars
air suspension
Much lower vehicle weight than the model S
Bio weapon air filter
power transfer to the outside wheels exiting corner/ this greatly improves the fun factor.
Low tyre noise
direct steering
memory seats
gorilla glass all around
300mile range
practical everyday car/ boot space/ 5 adults/ no super stiff suspension/ comfortable/ leather/
price the same as the US + export costs but not more

We ok I should not expect much new other than the smaller platform, battery pack, maybe drivetrain as Elon wants to keep updates for future which is unlike his past belief to make a car much better than anything in its class. I for one love the mentality when you do something you do it as good as you can it's 1 reason why the Germans are so successful. My bets are that as good as you can will not apply to the Model 3. As we all will be waiting along time I hope I'm wrong.

I dont want the model III to have a wrap around windshield, according to Bjron just to replace the windshield int he Model S is at least 1,500+ dollars. I want the Model III to be in many ways a smaller version of the Model S. But updated and made more reliable. I personally only want panoramic sun roof and Autopilot 2.0. I live in socal, i would love a Model III wagon. However the model Y should have a wrap around experience, like the model X. In tesla we trust!