Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 For A Teenager

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday we picked up our Model 3, which is for our 17 year old son. My wife and I have an X and an S, so we don’t want him to be able to track us and/or have access to either of our cars but we want easy access to his car. I am guessing that this is not something that Tesla has given much, if any, thought to. Anyone have any ideas, other than creating a separate account for the M3?

On a side note, I’ve been waiting for an update to the S for nearly a year, as mine is a 2012 and I want a new one. I’ve even slightly thought about replacing my S with a new one in their current state. No chance I’ll be doing that now after driving the 3 yesterday. Even though I drive the wife’s May 2016 X once and a while, it only feels like a slightly updated version of my S. The 3 was significantly improved over both, especially the premium sound package. Not sure what I’m going to do now but I know I can’t buy a new S the way they are. I can’t unknow what I know now.

I think the separate MyTesla account is the obvious way to go - maybe someday Tesla will allow some sort of granular multiuser interface or parental controls on a MyTesla account, but I wouldn't bet on it - and if the account doesn't know you're different people, there's no way for it to give different access levels.

Reactions: T-Will
Not sure what I’m going to do now but I know I can’t buy a new S the way they are. I can’t unknow what I know now.

Man, things sure are tough with all those decisions to make.

Here's a thought... as the parent, and an adult, if you think the $50,000+ Model 3 you just bought is nicer then you drive the 3 and you let Little Billy drive something else.

Reading your stress about this is hysterical. When I was 16 I bought, with my own money, a 10 year old VW rabbit that barely ran, on a good day. It cost $600.

Anyone have any ideas, other than creating a separate account for the M3?
Why not create a separate mytesla account for his car? I'm sure Tesla can separate one of the cars into a different account. Then you have his password but he doesn't have yours. I think you need to do this in any case to avoid the X/S from appearing on the app on his phone. Unless Tesla has a way to disable swiching to the X/S on just his app. An older version of the app that doesn't have multi-car capabilities I'm sure would not work with the 3, particularly the phone as key. A downside to multiple accounts would be you have to log out and into the phone app each time to switch between your X/S and his car and back. Or you use a separate device for his car. Or just talk to him about putting tracking software on his phone.

Yesterday we picked up our Model 3, which is for our 17 year old son. My wife and I have an X and an S, so we don’t want him to be able to track us and/or have access to either of our cars but we want easy access to his car. I am guessing that this is not something that Tesla has given much, if any, thought to. Anyone have any ideas, other than creating a separate account for the M3?

On a side note, I’ve been waiting for an update to the S for nearly a year, as mine is a 2012 and I want a new one. I’ve even slightly thought about replacing my S with a new one in their current state. No chance I’ll be doing that now after driving the 3 yesterday. Even though I drive the wife’s May 2016 X once and a while, it only feels like a slightly updated version of my S. The 3 was significantly improved over both, especially the premium sound package. Not sure what I’m going to do now but I know I can’t buy a new S the way they are. I can’t unknow what I know now.
As many owners with multiple cars and tesla going to phones as keys I suspect they will change mobile app to allow different pass codes to have access to different cars. However a temporary solution is to just give him or her the card to drive it and not sign into app on their phone. I have to wonder why you trust him with a car but not to abuse it

Just give him the keycard and have the car still attached to your phone.

That way you can track him and he can use the car. You can also turn on valet mode to really mess with him.

im going to give my kids this 3, but they are 9 and 10, so it'll be well worn by the time they are driving.

As an educator who has worked with teens over a 40-year span, I would encourage you to treat your son as a fellow adult in this endeavor. That means all three of you can see where all three of your Teslas are.

Just an unsolicited opinion from someone with zero knowledge of your family dynamics!

Speaking of first cars I can not remain silent.

Back in the days, back in my home country the first car I had access to drive was Trabant. Probably not many people in the states heard about it but it was a legend. Small, 2 door, low power, extremely low tech, fun to drive car that has a little over 500cc 2 cylinder, 2 cycle, air cooled engine with 26 hp and weighted about 1200 pounds. Made in East Germany. All the body panels was made of some sort of polyme /for short cardboard/. On the dash the only gauge you have is the speedometer. The tank was about 6 gallons and located in engine compartment. All the guesswork about the amount of gas you have in it is eliminated with provided ruler type stick that you simply put in the tank and then read up to where it is wet.

They actually sold more than 3.4 million cars of that model.

The car looks like this

IMG_9863.JPG

The engine bay looks like this /pay attention to the location of the gas tank/

IMG_9862.JPG

Now that is the car I would have LOVED to have as a teenager. WOW!

In my case my first vehicle was the summer I turned 13. While I was still 12 I was able to solo on our old Plymouth station wagon with manual shift on the column. Just before summer my Grandmother died. She had a stick shift pickup that ended up being my "daily driver" for the summer. My older brother and dad would load hay on the trailer while I drove the truck. In the fall, one of my uncles took it away as he had a need for it in another state. From then on I could only use one of my parent's vehicles, or the tractor which was really my "daily driver". I soloed on the tractor while I was still 10 years old. I had to be able to prove that I could plow driving a straight line.

Anyway, when I was 18 and first year college I bought my first car, a 2-year old Plymouth, 2-door, bench seats, 383 4-barrel carb. That was a sweet car. I paid my own way, working, from High School graduation forward, sometimes working 2 jobs. Actually I worked almost my whole life, saving my money so I was able to pay my own way. Everything. The point is that I considered myself to be responsible. No accidents, and no tickets (except for one I got at 15, driving without a license). In that case the Judge dismissed the case if I promised to not drive off the farm until I got my license.

Now as a responsible person with my beauty of a muscle car I one day found myself over 200 miles from campus on a Sunday afternoon, with a study group I was supposed to be at in less than 2 hours. What was I supposed to do??? Fortunately a new Interstate highway had been built a couple of years earlier which almost no one used. I was able to load my stuff in the car, drive a few blocks to a gas station to fill up, then catch the on-ramp for the Interstate. As luck would have it about 220 miles later there was an off-ramp very close to the campus. It was almost a straight shot.

After entering the Interstate I was out of the city in a few minutes. Slowly the speed of this beautiful car began to increase, almost on it's own. The speedometer topped out at 130 mph, so I really do not know how fast I ended up driving. It just sort of just floated down the highway. Interesting thing though, at about half way I had to take an exit to fill up the gas tank because it was empty. Where did all that gas go??? Anyway after filling up again I got back on the Interstate and away I went to the campus. I got there on an almost empty tank but I did get to the study group meeting early.

Looking back on it I suspect that I spent most of that trip in the 140 to 160 mph range. I really do not know what possessed me to do it, but it happened. At that time I was already a licensed private pilot (something else I paid for with my own money), so I was already used to those speeds, only in the air, not on the ground. Would I ever do it again? NEVER. Even on those lonely highways in Texas and other areas with 80 + mph limits I just set the autopilot on 80 mph and let it do it's thing.

Now back to the point for the OP. Your son may be a very responsible person. BUT, things happen. Giving him a brand new car, even the model 3, although a very responsible thing do do, may give the wrong signal to him. If he worked for it, paid for it, with his own effort, it would mean so much more to him. jmho