Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is just NFC, which is why on the key-card it shows holding it up to the middle of the B pillar to unlock the car.
Not sure that is much better than a key. I assume you don't have to insert it anywhere inside the 3. I hope they at least keep the feature of just stepping on the brake to startup the car.

How is it that NONE of the 30 people who took delivery on Friday is a TMC member? How long is it going take for the first person to post a thread that they took delivery and can answer our bajillion questions about the car?

I think Tesla discourages their staff from participating here. In the distant past they tried to have selected PR/marketing people participate, but people on the forum tended to make it hard for them to have a controlled conversation. I think it is established that many of them do read this forum, and they probably bite their tongues frequently wishing they could say something, but the high level decision was likely that it is better to let us "do our own thing" and they stay on their side of the fence.

Usually things end up leaking out, like someone leaves the company, or some friend/relative gets access to the car and starts talking about it.
Or some employee doesn't realize that they aren't supposed to say anything, and they just do. Hopefully they don't get in too much trouble when that happens, but there is always that risk.

Tesla will likely start letting more and more press have access to the cars. And bloggers / webcasters tend to be considered press these days, so I expect we will see more and more reviews from people who do that sort of thing for a living.

• Informative
Reactions: one5n1neSDoo
People tend to make fun of Model 3 saying it should have "KITT" LED scanner on the front, but it strikes me that the smart vent practically has that hardware already. If they had LEDs on the vent flow director mechanism it could have an easter egg for KITT mode. Actually it would be nice if it could light up to show you where you set the airflow.

I wonder if would make senses for them to add an "air sweep" oscillating mode where the vent pans back and forth like that. A lot of table top home fans have that feature.

Last edited:
How is it that NONE of the 30 people who took delivery on Friday is a TMC member?

I think it is established that many of them do read this forum, and they probably bite their tongues frequently wishing they could say something, but the high level decision was likely that it is better to let us "do our own thing" and they stay on their side of the fence.

Maybe a few of them do but I'd be surprised if it was that many. Most people like to leave work at work.

Preferred by whom? Where I live, my phone has to be turned on, find the carrier, try to connect to Tesla, which then has to wake up the car. This takes over a minute. Compare that to just walking up to the S with the fob in pocket or purse. Time: about one second. Same with backing the unoccupied car out of a tight parking space. A couple seconds hold on fob, car flashes, starts backing. Phone takes a minute at least. Bluetooth? The fob can reach the car from across the parking lot.

Not everyone has a smart phone. I got one when I got the S. But the fob takes up a lot less room in a pocket.
Bluetooth is instantaneous if your phone is on, doesnt require cell signal or connection to Tesla. If it is Bluetooth, of course. Awaiting real confirmation.

People tend to make fun of Model 3 saying it should have "KITT" LED scanner on the front, but it strikes me that the smart vent practically has that hardware already. If they had LEDs on the vent flow director mechanism it could have an easter egg for KITT mode. Actually it would be nice if it could light up to show you where you set the airflow.

I wonder if would make senses for them to add an "air sweep" oscillating mode where the vent pans back and forth like that. A lot of table top home fans have that feature.

There is somebody out there in the world who filmed an oscillating fan for three hours and put it on YouTube? The things people put on the net...

Just in case you haven't seen enough ride-along videos yet, here's mine. Mostly mucking with the screen, including the settings for vents (which was weird) and other basic stuff... like wipers, which are controlled only from the screen.

Great video. Answered one of my questions.... does not seem you can fully disable traction control even on the rwd models.

Reactions: Trnsl8r
Just in case you haven't seen enough ride-along videos yet, here's mine. Mostly mucking with the screen, including the settings for vents (which was weird) and other basic stuff... like wipers, which are controlled only from the screen.

Interesting.. I could not see any button there to bring up a browser. Wonder if that was removed for M3 or just not ready yet.

That's a great idea.