Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has dedicated rain sensor, a bad sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just charged last night in Gilroy and highest rate we saw was 99kW, not shared. Believe people using some of the newly installed chargers there said they were charging over 100kW so I think as they've expanded things have gotten better...at least in the area we frequent.

Yeah Gilroy was super fast for me as well, however the Tesla factory has been VERY slow the last few visits. I'm not sure why they haven't expanded the factory yet with additional charge points, especially with more folks buying new cars right there with free super-charging. It seems the lines and wait times are getting longer already before the 3 is even on the road.

When is your AP2 vehicle built? I thought Tesla removed the dedicated rain sensor and instead am planning to use pure vision to do that.
My car was built in the last week of November 2016, with delivery in the first week of December 2016. I remember looking for the sensor back then but didn't notice it. Honestly I thought it didn't have one until someone mentioned this morning that AP2 cars also have the sensor. I went out to take a picture and prove him wrong and to my surprise, I spotted the sensor. :eek:

It wasn't easy to see compared to the sensor on AP1 cars:
ap1Sensor.PNG

The picture above was taken from a video we made in early December. About a minute in, it compares the front cameras. @DÆrik did mention the sensor but you can't really see anything on the AP2 car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Reactions: gearchruncher
Wipers on Model S have been crappy since 2012, I vividly recall driving to a Christmas party Dec 2012 in rainy Portland, dressed in a suit. After the party, windshield was soaked and rain was falling. I opened driver door and said nstantly was drenched as the wipers (left in intermittent) blasted me in n cold water before I even sat down.

It’s not gotten much better in 4+ years!!!!

Tesla Model 3 design is “pretty much final,” plus new insights from a batch of high quality photos

Just saw that model 3 has a dedicated rain sensor by the front AP cameras. Doesn't bold well for those of us with model S and X now. Don't think auto wipers will ever come for AP2. Do we think Tesla will do a retrofit to give us that promised feature if it needs extra hardware?

cue the "im going to make assumptions on a car that hasn't been released to the public yet and declare my $60,000 more expensive car to be inferior!"

and cue the biggest eyeroll i've ever had.

Reactions: drklain
Hmm... that pic with the charge screen has some interesting data on it:
View attachment 232326

Given the average charge session rate of 169 miles/hr, and 21 miles gained, he's been charging for 7-8 minutes. By that point, I'd expect the average charge rate value would be dominated by the maximum power delivered over that time (somewhere in the neighborhood of 70kW), and no the initial ramp-up time (which only talks 20-30 seconds on my S).

Yet an average mileage gain of 169 mi.hr if you have an average power delivery around 70kW implies the car assumes a power usage of ~418Wh/mi.

That's obviously way too high. And given the pack SOC appears to be in the lower third, I'd not expect any significant tapering at that point.

There must have been some reason for a slow ramp up...

I noticed that duct tape holding what must be the User's Manual below the screen is crumpled.... that's definitely a quality control problem which will be come a major issue when the M3 rolls out. :rolleyes:

As people have said, this is NOT a rain sensor. This is the Light Humidity Temperature sensor. This is on all AP1 and AP2 cars.

If Tesla really switched the Model 3 back to a standard rain sensor, then Elon has some explaining to do because just a month ago he said he "hoped" that we'd have rain sensing working on AP2 this month. If they've given that up, they need to update manuals, sales materials, and stop tweeting about it right away.

I just did a check of my AP2 car and it turns out it does have a similar sensor. I never noticed it in six months of ownership. I just went out and when I hold the camera at the right angle, I can see the sensor is there.
Wow, what a relief. I was ready to sell my S, entirely due to the lack of automatic wipers. This thread was the last straw until your reassuring post.

Can you believe it? I also was ready to sell the car a month ago since it didn't have rear seat cupholders, but then by accident I discovered they are there!

These are great cars, but the owners of them? Not so much...especially the thread stealers.

My point is the implication of the car needing 400+ wh/mi... that's way too high.
They may have been doing high-speed high high-acceleration runs prior which would explain the high consumption. That also may have heated the battery which would explain the slow charge rate. These are mules so they're going to be out stressing them to try and get them to break, not tiptoeing through the tulips.