Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 has dedicated rain sensor, a bad sign

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought AP2 s/x didn't have dedicated rain sensors and that Tesla is going to have the cameras do that instead. If they do, then I don't know why auto wipers are not activated yet.
There's a bit of code added with 17.22.46 that's appropriately called "light and rain sensing", so should not be TOO long left.

I recently noticed out AP2 car turns lights on even in perfectly sunny weather (it was after 6pm so maybe Tesla hard-coded when when the lights should go on, but haven't taken into consideration that sun goes down much later in the summer).
This is certainly not true, every time my car enters garage, it turns on headlights no matter what time of day it is.

There's a bit of code added with 17.22.46 that's appropriately called "light and rain sensing", so should not be TOO long left.

This is certainly not true, every time my car enters garage, it turns on headlights no matter what time of day it is.
Well, then the network is trained poorly. It was about 2 weeks ago and we were driving together, mine is AP1 car and my wife's AP2, so I noticed her headlight were on for no reason as it was perfectly sunny. The car was parked outside prior to the drive, it didn't start in a dark garage. That said, it is getting better, it used to turn on pretty much all the time, now I have seen it sometimes not on. Still, AP1 car lights work way better.

Btw, why wouldn't Tesla include the freaking light and rain sensors on AP2, then use them to train the AP2 sensors, then only remove them once the algorithm reports a high enough success rate? Keep customers happy and get automated large scale verification for their AP2 based systems.

Btw, why wouldn't Tesla include the freaking light and rain sensors on AP2, then use them to train the AP2 sensors, then only remove them once the algorithm reports a high enough success rate? Keep customers happy and get automated large scale verification for their AP2 based systems.
They already include light sensors, whole 8 of them. ;)

So the reason we don't have it yet is simply it hasn't rained in California much since AP2 introduction? The network is up and running, learning, yet no auto wipers and even auto-headlights on/off sucks - I recently noticed our AP2 car turns lights on even in perfectly sunny weather (it was after 6pm so maybe Tesla hard-coded when when the lights should go on, but haven't taken into consideration that sun goes down much later in the summer).

I make no claim as to why it's not in yet, just that that's a reasonable explanation for why they chose to have the rain sensor vision based and why it doesn't necessarily require more processing power.

Since we allready know that Tesla calls the mini-sensor-thingie a "Light/Humidity/Temperature-sensor", do you think this code rules out the possibility that this is in fact the rain sensor?

I.e.: Does the code in any way suggest that the rain sensing is going to be done by the camera(s)?

(I'm asking since the code is called "light and rain sensing". The light-bit should be code for the LHT-sensor, hence "light/hum./temp.-sensopr"

What morons disagree with this? AP1 automatic wipers are completely useless. Have to constantly adjust manually, have absolutely no relationship of wiper speed to actual rain on windshield.
What sensitivity setting do you use? Does your car have two settings like the refresh cars?
From the manual:
"To wipe the windshield, rotate the end of the left-hand steering column lever away from you. You can choose from four levels: • 1st: Auto with low rain sensitivity.* • 2nd: Auto with high rain sensitivity.* • 3rd: Continuous, slow. • 4th: Continuous, fast."
"*Model S has a rain sensor located on the inside of the windshield at the base of the interior mirror. When wipers are set to Auto, the frequency at which they wipe depends on how much water the sensor detects. When wipers are set to the 2nd level, the sensor is more sensitive."

Btw, with 17.24.28, a single wipe (by push on the button) does not seem to turn on headlights anymore.

Reactions: Dax279
What sensitivity setting do you use? Does your car have two settings like the refresh cars?
From the manual:
"To wipe the windshield, rotate the end of the left-hand steering column lever away from you. You can choose from four levels: • 1st: Auto with low rain sensitivity.* • 2nd: Auto with high rain sensitivity.* • 3rd: Continuous, slow. • 4th: Continuous, fast."
"*Model S has a rain sensor located on the inside of the windshield at the base of the interior mirror. When wipers are set to Auto, the frequency at which they wipe depends on how much water the sensor detects. When wipers are set to the 2nd level, the sensor is more sensitive."

Btw, with 17.24.28, a single wipe (by push on the button) does not seem to turn on headlights anymore.

Not to derail the conversation too much here, but I have a facelift AP1 car and I find the performance of the auto rain sensors to be inconsistent. They'll go between fine, too slow, and way faster than needed quite frequently. Sometimes I end up just manually setting them.

Since we allready know that Tesla calls the mini-sensor-thingie a "Light/Humidity/Temperature-sensor", do you think this code rules out the possibility that this is in fact the rain sensor?

I.e.: Does the code in any way suggest that the rain sensing is going to be done by the camera(s)?

(I'm asking since the code is called "light and rain sensing". The light-bit should be code for the LHT-sensor, hence "light/hum./temp.-sensopr"
I did not look too much into it,to tell you the truth, but the appearance of this code with such a name seems to imply it's coming relatively soon.