Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pretty awesome numbers from Reddit tonight. The old M3P did the 60-130 run in 11.4-11.5 seconds. This new one is shaving almost 2 seconds off that time, and seeing consistent 0-60s in the 2.9X ranges without rollout subtracted is impressive.
View attachment 1054057View attachment 1054058
That 1/8 mile is extremely strong. Really good launch on that one but there is still more in that car. It tapers off at the end. That can’t be a fully optimized battery.

Another that was shared on Reddit
IMG_2109.png

I still need my printed slips. These draggys are all LIES i tell ya.
Dragy doesn’t lie. Track timing systems do. If you don’t believe me then I submit this track slip as evidence. There is absolutely no way a previous generation Model 3 is trapping at almost 123 mph especially when it is only running 11.17. That just isn’t possible. 120.0 mph is definitely a much more realistic value.

The timing system was accurate at my track but the trap speed sensors were and still are incredibly inaccurate. Dragy is always consistent when it gets the satellite signals.

I trust Dragy results way more than I trust the tracks.

IMG_6352.jpeg
IMG_6353.png

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3 and Gasaraki
Dragy doesn’t lie. Track timing systems do. If you don’t believe me then I submit this track slip as evidence. There is absolutely no way a previous generation Model 3 is trapping at almost 123 mph especially when it is only running 11.17. That just isn’t possible. 120.0 mph is definitely a much more realistic value.

The timing system was accurate at my track but the trap speed sensors were and still are incredibly inaccurate. Dragy is always consistent when it gets the satellite signals.

View attachment 1054190View attachment 1054191
Tell that to the person that insists on printed slips from drag strips.

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms and Adam3

I'm curious because I haven't taken my cars to the drag strip since long before dragy's were invented. If track times are inaccurate, why do people (esp some in this forum) insist on going to the track to get their "official" times as stamped proof of quarter mile runs then?

I'm curious because I haven't taken my cars to the drag strip since long before dragy's were invented. If track times are inaccurate, why do people (esp some in this forum) insist on going to the track to get their "official" times as stamped proof of quarter mile runs then?
Maybe to avoid getting into prison after driving at 130mph on the street... ^^

Maybe to avoid getting into prison after driving at 130mph on the street... ^^
Yeah I typed that one too fast and hit post without putting more context. MY FAULT lol For the record, i am not advocating in any way whatsoever for everyone to get dragy and get their quarter mile times on the streets, or drive all the way to Mexico.

I meant to say, why do people insist on track times as being more official than dragy.

Reactions: Adam3
I think it's a stigma that "tried-and-true" drag strips must be more accurate than Dragy's "crazy satellite technology".
If only people knew how inaccurate and vulnerable track timing systems are.

The funny car trap speed record was set earlier this year out of the blue. It is actually the all time highest trap speed ever even over Top Fuel Dragster. It was a few mph faster than any wheel driven car had done the 1,000 ft from a dig before. Nobody had topped 340 mph before and this funny car almost hit 342 mph all of a sudden.

No one questioned whether the timing system was accurate or not. They just automatically assume it is right. I honestly don’t believe that the car all of sudden went several mph faster when nobody had even broken 340 mph for decades.

Reactions: ChuckM3P and Adam3
Are there any drag strips that upgraded their timing systems to be just as good as dragy?
The issue is that track timing systems can move even after they were calibrated. They might be correct one day and then someone hits the wall at 200+ mph and moves it a fraction of a mm.

If someone moved a satellite 🛰️ you better believe we would know about it.

I've never seen that before. That's so messed up. I've got to wonder if the track wasn't taking the average speed and took only the speed at the finish.

For those that don't know...

"Mile-Per-Hour Timer
Also known as the speed line, this timer is located 66 feet before the finish line. It records the car’s average speed between it and the finish line. This is the mile per hour figure on your time slip."

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801
I've never seen that before. That's so messed up. I've got to wonder if the track wasn't taking the average speed and took only the speed at the finish.

For those that don't know...

"Mile-Per-Hour Timer
Also known as the speed line, this timer is located 66 feet before the finish line. It records the car’s average speed between it and the finish line. This is the mile per hour figure on your time slip."

Why would the official number not be the speed upon crossing the finish line?