Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Except it’s not actually true. The tires are V and W rated (depending on 18” vs 19”), which are good for 149 and 168 mph respectively.
Highland feels a lot less stable at higher speeds (100+ km/h). During my test drive on the highway I was constantly correcting its path. I did another test drive in a different car, and it was exactly the same.
That was a RWD car by the way, however on my previous 2022 RWD I never had this feeling.

So based on my own experience, I think it's because of the softer suspension, which feels less capable/predictable at higher speeds.

Highland feels a lot less stable at higher speeds (100+ km/h). During my test drive on the highway I was constantly correcting its path. I did another test drive in a different car, and it was exactly the same.
That was a RWD car by the way, however on my previous 2022 RWD I never had this feeling.

So based on my own experience, I think it's because of the softer suspension, which feels less capable/predictable at higher speeds.
Yeah hard to say if it’s the suspension, aero, or both - but my gut feeling is exactly what you noted, that it just doesn’t have the same high speed stability.

Yeah hard to say if it’s the suspension, aero, or both - but my gut feeling is exactly what you noted, that it just doesn’t have the same high speed stability.
Yeah I was thinking of the aero as well, but to my surprise it still has air curtains. I spotted them on my last visit to the Tesla store.

Anyways it could still be a combination of the suspension and aero, but I was pleasantly surprised to see these on the refresh!

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1241.jpeg
    IMG_1241.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 15
Summer of 2026. As for specs, 180mph when going in reverse, setting a production car world record.
Here I was thinking 60mph in the riv was excessive. Now I want 180mph in reverse! 😂
Yeah I was thinking of the aero as well, but to my surprise it still has air curtains. I spotted them on my last visit to the Tesla store.

Anyways it could still be a combination of the suspension and aero, but I was pleasantly surprised to see these on the refresh!
What is an air curtains?

Front radiator Active louvers? Air path around the front bumper through the wheel well/inner fender liner?

Here I was thinking 60mph in the riv was excessive. Now I want 180mph in reverse! 😂

What is an air curtains?

Front radiator Active louvers? Air path around the front bumper through the wheel well/inner fender liner?
The latter :) although it’s also equipped with active louvres, like any Tesla I believe (roadster excluded!).
They’re just not that visible anymore like they were on the legacy Model S.

Really? Lack of stability above 60mph? That sounds suspect and if true, the highland is trash. Even a Corolla feels fine well above 60

I think the Macan is going to scare Tesla (or should), if it can beat a 3 on the track, range, charge speed. So the highland performance will have to be something much better than the last gen 3 performance.
Who is cross shopping a $100K Porsche EV SUV with a $50K Tesla Model 3?

I mean, there are already EV's faster and cheaper than a Macan EV GTS. It's called the Tesla Plaid, and that doesn't seem to be driving Tesla to worry that the M3P needs to be faster while being half the price. And that's a much more relevant cross shop with a Model 3 than a SUV.

Meanwhile the EV Boxter is coming in the next year which is much more likely to set the performance benchmark for what a sub $100K EV can do without it being a Grand Touring sized car.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkoP and mpgxsvcd
My concern is Tesla has softened the suspension at the expense of handing in the SR/LR and that the new P3 will only slightly improve handling but not to current 3P handling dynamics.

I love my 3LR for its insane point and shoot as well as high speed stability. I run 20” rubber.

Last edited:
The new lower top speed is because of the tires they are putting on it out of the factory, like I thought and is what usually happens.

Ask Kyle that same question now. I asked him that after he did that initial test and he also thinks it could be related to suspension. He acknowledged that it wasn’t the tires in a livestream after that video aired.

It isn’t the tires.

Remember the basics: downforce improves handling at speed, but introduces drag (lower MPG).

I’m not surprised Highland would be tuned for efficiency and thus handle a little loose at speed. A spoiler/etc can fix this… by increasing drag. As well as suspension but increase harshness.

So I don’t think it’s platform problem: the performance will just be tuned different than the regular.

I think the Macan is going to scare Tesla (or should), if it can beat a 3 on the track, range, charge speed. So the highland performance will have to be something much better than the last gen 3 performance.
Macan EV is a great vehicle but it will probably cost twice the price of a Model 3 if performance is equal.

My concern is Tesla has softened the suspension at the expense of handing in the SR/LR and that the new P3 will only slightly improve handling but not to current 3P handling dynamics.

I love my 3LR for its insane point and shoot as well as high speed stability. I run 20” rubber.
To get this thread closer to on topic my prediction is that we will all be pleasantly surprised when the next gen Model 3 Performance is finally announced.

My prediction is that they will improve it in every way. It will be a lot more expensive than the cars in inventory now but I don’t think it will exceed the price I paid in 2021 for my 2022 Model 3 Performance(~$60k).

I think it will have a revised battery and new motors along with an entirely different suspension setup and new brakes. It will have new wheels and tires too.

I predict that the battery will have slightly more capacity. For instance 85-90 kWh and the car won’t focus as much on efficiency because of the increased capacity. It will weigh a little bit more though but no where near what the Ioniq 5N weighs(over 4,800 lbs).

Lurker here - current 2020 Stealth owner who will really only be consider a compelling Highland Performance model for next purchase. Looks like a healthy amount of news coming out. The candid image of the seat posted just above looks to have come from X user @fidelgrandez01 - link here https://x.com/fidelgrandez01/status/1747307180855017855?s=46&t=48ILt-YMzyOiyVOKB48VfA.

Further in that thread he says he's taken other photos that he will upload shortly but there seem to be confirmations of some serious new features! Apparently there is a single, full-width tail light that looks similar to this post: https://x.com/keeevtesla/status/1747358946485039265?s=46&t=48ILt-YMzyOiyVOKB48VfA.

And not sure about timing but on X an hour ago Teslascope is also posting a consolidated thread of supposedly "higher probability" expectations. Link: https://x.com/teslascope/status/1747347967848362006?s=46&t=48ILt-YMzyOiyVOKB48VfAWas engaging even for me to read all of this in one place. I'm really really hoping that the performance model delivers on our rightfully high hopes and launches sometime Q1.

Reactions: Stew-2
Really? Lack of stability above 60mph? That sounds suspect and if true, the highland is trash. Even a Corolla feels fine well above 60
Yeah it really felt like that to me. Granted it was a RWD and it had the 18" Aeros, but I've driven the old Model 3 in that config too and I never had a problem with it. I'm sure the LR on 19" is better, but I'll hold off until the Performance comes around.

Yeah it really felt like that to me. Granted it was a RWD and it had the 18" Aeros, but I've driven the old Model 3 in that config too and I never had a problem with it. I'm sure the LR on 19" is better, but I'll hold off until the Performance comes around.
Yea i had a RWD with 18s and a M3P- with 18s (and later 20s) and had no problem with high speed stability with either tire. Granted it was slow as crap above 90mph, but i never felt a lack of stability at those speeds

Reactions: Cheetah
This was leaked. Supposedly it’s someone’s who’s leaked before. The 3 separate taillights will be interesting View attachment 1009541
How is this proof that it's a single light bar? You can't tell anything from pic on the left. Could be the same lights as the LR and RWD.

I would take it if that was the case 😂 Rendering on the right looks sick