Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of you guys that think a comparable M3P (in terms of performance) to an S would cannibalize the S sales are forgetting that S/X only account for less than 4% of total sales… They can make it faster than the S and it would hardly matter for the bottom line due to how many more 3s they would sell. Plus, I think those segments are way too different, and somebody (outside of a select few) who wants the size, looks and comfort of a plaid S is not going to switch to a 3 if does the quarter in 8.5.

Not to mention, wasn't the Model 3 Performance always faster than the base Model S? In 2018 - 2022 a Model 3 Performance was always faster than a Model S P75D or base long range. It wasn't until the updated motor changes to the 2022 Model S Long Range that made the base model S faster than a Model 3. So that's the exception, not the rule. A 2024 Model 3 Performance (or whatever it's called) being faster than a 2022+ Model S Long Range would just be going back to normal.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Not that it would matter to Elon or Tesla but for arguments sake what would you define AMG, M or any of the other manufacturers performance wings as?
Given BMW M sells way more "M-line" cars than actual M cars by about 3X, and the M-Line is just the appearance package...
It appears the market has spoken, and nobody acually cares about the real speed of the car, just that it looks different, and if you look into the earlier parts of this thread you'll find plenty of people mostly wanting the car to look special, even if it's not really faster.

Given BMW M sells way more "M-line" cars than actual M cars by about 3X, and the M-Line is just the appearance package...
It appears the market has spoken, and nobody acually cares about the real speed of the car, just that it looks different, and if you look into the earlier parts of this thread you'll find plenty of people mostly wanting the car to look special, even if it's not really faster.
The m sport line is not just appearance. To the contrary the m line typically sits higher up just below the full M cars. My i4 m50 is one step below and M and higher than the i4 e40. The m sport models now are upgraded performance cars. Similar to Audi S models.

Reactions: JezzaE
The m sport line is not just appearance. To the contrary the m line typically sits higher up just below the full M cars. My i4 m50 is one step below and M and higher than the i4 e40. The m sport models now are upgraded performance cars. Similar to Audi S models.
Agree to disagree. The m-line is not real M. They are much closer to the base models than they are to true M cars. They don't use S series motors developed by M. They don't have any suspension components from the real M cars. It's just an appearance pack with more power and some standard performance options like adaptive suspension and "sport" seats that you can get on the base car anyway. In some ways I'd say the current M3P is akin to an m-line car over the dual-motor.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Fine.
I promise you that a $65,500 Tesla Model 3 Performance Highland with the Track Pack on CUP 2 tires will absolutley come nowhere to the Taycan's 7:07 at the Nurburgring, or even the Plaid's 7:25, so there is no way they will be "putting it up against the new Taycan"

This does not mean it's not a fast car, or a performance bargain, or aything else. But there is no putting it up against that car.
Unless of course they do it in the same way they put a Cybertruck against a 911- which is by lying about it because Elon is fragile and pissed that the Taycan might beat the Plaid sometimes, so Porsche must be attacked.

My point is, if it comes out at the same time with Taycan, it will be made a joke in the social media by comparisons to Taycan.

Agree to disagree. The m-line is not real M. They are much closer to the base models than they are to true M cars. They don't use S series motors developed by M. They don't have any suspension components from the real M cars. It's just an appearance pack with more power and some standard performance options like adaptive suspension and "sport" seats that you can get on the base car anyway. In some ways I'd say the current M3P is akin to an m-line car over the dual-motor.
I think you pretty much nailed it without even realizing it. Most of us would agree that the current performance is akin to the M-Line which is why we’re all hoping Tesla takes the refreshed M3 to the next level. No?

I think a lot of you guys that think a comparable M3P (in terms of performance) to an S would cannibalize the S sales are forgetting that S/X only account for less than 4% of total sales… They can make it faster than the S and it would hardly matter for the bottom line due to how many more 3s they would sell. Plus, I think those segments are way too different, and somebody (outside of a select few) who wants the size, looks and comfort of a plaid S is not going to switch to a 3 if does the quarter in 8.5.

I am someone waiting on a Plaid S order. I would switch to the 3 if it were nearly as fast or faster. I've owned both previously.

I am someone waiting on a Plaid S order. I would switch to the 3 if it were nearly as fast or faster. I've owned both previously.
Do you honestly think they are going to put out a Model 3 for less than $60k doing 9.2s in the 1/4 mile or do you think they are going to put out a Model 3 that costs $90k?

A Model 3 doing a 10.5 1/4 mile for less than $60k would be pretty incredible. The cheapest car consistently doing 10.5s or better straight from the factory is the Corvette C8 E-Ray and that starts at about $105k and they haven’t actually delivered a single one of those cars to a customer yet.

With 18” wheels my Model 3 Performance already keeps up with a stock BMW M3. I am not sure why people think the Model 3 is going to drop 2+ seconds off of the 1/4 mile time and the price will basically stay the same. That isn’t reasonable.

Do you honestly think they are going to put out a Model 3 for less than $60k doing 9.2s in the 1/4 mile or do you think they are going to put out a Model 3 that costs $90k?

A Model 3 doing a 10.5 1/4 mile for less than $60k would be pretty incredible. The cheapest car consistently doing 10.5s or better straight from the factory is the Corvette C8 E-Ray and that starts at about $105k and they haven’t actually delivered a single one of those cars to a customer yet.

With 18” wheels my Model 3 Performance already keeps up with a stock BMW M3. I am not sure why people think the Model 3 is going to drop 2+ seconds off of the 1/4 mile time and the price will basically stay the same. That isn’t reasonable.
Yeah, seems unlikely. The battery is 84.6 kwhr in the highland vs ~100 kwhr in the Plaid S. So, even if they were engineered to the same specs, the peak discharge of the 3 battery would have to be 15% lower. Of course, it weighs exactly 15% less as well, so.... could be close.

But, I think the peak discharge will be limited because cooling the 21700 cells is harder than cooling the 18650s.

Yeah, seems unlikely. The battery is 84.6 kwhr in the highland vs ~100 kwhr in the Plaid S. So, even if they were engineered to the same specs, the peak discharge of the 3 battery would have to be 15% lower. Of course, it weighs exactly 15% less as well, so.... could be close.

But, I think the peak discharge will be limited because cooling the 21700 cells is harder than cooling the 18650s.
Model 3 Performance battery is 82.1 kWh when new. I think the current Highland Model 3 LR battery is something like 78 kWh. I forget the exact number for that one.

IMG_2387.jpeg

I thought the discussion was if the refresh P3 would be faster than the BASE Model S? (which it hasn't been since the S refresh a few years ago).

There's absolutely zero chance it's faster than Plaid S.
Good point. Yeah, I think it should be faster than the LR. Definitely 0-60. Quarter mile might be hard. The LR S has the exact same battery as the Plaid, so it can pull really high peak kW. So, the long range is limited by the two motors at low speeds, but can start to pick up speed later in the quarter since it isn't limited by the battery.

Same two motors in the model 3 with 700 lbs less weight would be pretty fast, but slightly limited by the battery in the 3.

Did they update the voltage on the highland 3? A quick search seems like no. So, lower voltage in the 3 won't help either.

Model 3 Performance battery is 82.1 kWh when new. I think the current Highland Model 3 LR battery is something like 78 kWh. I forget the exact number for that one.

View attachment 1020412

Yeah, maybe a bad source.
"This Long Range car, which reportedly now has a 84.6kWh battery, "