Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having put wider tires and better dampers on an M3LR with AB, I concur. I hope the wheels on the new M3P will be something other than 20” pothole magnets, though. 275/35R19 on 19x9.5 (or 19x10, for that matter) is extraordinarily sticky.

The Model S Plaid Track Pack puts 285/35R20 tires on the front and 305/30R20 tires on the back, both 100TW Supercar 3Rs. The rears are 20x11, which wouldn’t fit the Model 3 without aggressive bodywork. But the equivalent fronts (19x10 +35 or so) could fit an M3P front and rear. The odds that you’d break loose 275mm tires even with 750bhp equivalent are… low.

It has been repeatedly noted by many different people that wider tires and better dampers are the two best things that can be added to a model 3. This is because it’s true. Would be great if Tesla prioritized funsies over range and practicality in the new M3P. It’s such a fun platform, why not let it rip…
Absolutely... I will sacrifice range for more power and keeping the weight in check as this is something that aftermarket community couldn't do. Suspensions, brake and wheels should be there secondary on their list keeping inline with their projected msrp.

Having put wider tires and better dampers on an M3LR with AB, I concur. I hope the wheels on the new M3P will be something other than 20” pothole magnets, though. 275/35R19 on 19x9.5 (or 19x10, for that matter) is extraordinarily sticky.

The Model S Plaid Track Pack puts 285/35R20 tires on the front and 305/30R20 tires on the back, both 100TW Supercar 3Rs. The rears are 20x11, which wouldn’t fit the Model 3 without aggressive bodywork. But the equivalent fronts (19x10 +35 or so) could fit an M3P front and rear. The odds that you’d break loose 275mm tires even with 750bhp equivalent are… low.

It has been repeatedly noted by many different people that wider tires and better dampers are the two best things that can be added to a model 3. This is because it’s true. Would be great if Tesla prioritized funsies over range and practicality in the new M3P. It’s such a fun platform, why not let it rip…
275/30/20 is what the Tesla Model 3 Manual said at one point.
IMG_2884.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: TimTam

LOL. First link is reposting the same one from like 10 posts ago that gives no direct sourcing, and all the links that SEEM like they'd be sourcing or direct quotes, go to much older stories that aren't.

Second link is literally just repeating the stuff in the first link, citing to said link.

I can confirm that the article has a legitimate source.

where?

Looking at the link now It looks like they even removed the name of the engineer they were supposedly citing to (without actually citing him saying anything specific other than it would be "pretty special")-- though hilariously the second link, which is just reporting what the first link said, hasn't been updated to reflect that, so from there we get:

While the covers of the Model 3 Highland were being pulled off in Sydney, Tesla Australia chief engineer and Model 3 program veteran Daniel Ho reportedly stated that the new vehicle would be arriving in the first half of 2024.

The Tesla engineer reportedly noted that the upgraded Model 3 Performance will also be “pretty special.”

So... a performance model is coming. Which everyone already knew. And it'll be "special" with 0 details, info, or specs. And the story puts it as "reportedly stated"

Reportedly by whom?

Then we get the other 90% of the article with them tossing out guesses about what it COULD be.

@Knightshade Everything in the CarSales article can be attributed to Daniel Ho, as mentioned in the Teslarati re-hash.

Tesla asked CarSales to remove his name from the article.

Daniel Ho who ran the Model 3 program for 5 years and is now the Director of Vehicles and New Product Introductions for all of Tesla.

ok...

But literally the only quote FROM Ho even in the original story was that performance car would be "pretty special" (and indeed those two words were the only ones even in quotes, not even a complete sentence)- not even the arrive first half of 2024 claim is in quotes so it remains unclear what Ho actually said about anything other than the 2 quoted words that tell us nothing at all.

Not sure how that's even a story, let alone a story other sites then rehash.

Reactions: Zoomit
Having just purchased an i4 m50 I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a couple of years but I think the new m3p is probably going to be “pretty damn special”. I can’t see Tesla letting companies like Kia/Hyundai best them in this segment. It’s not happening. It’s going to be a beast. I still wonder at what point the additional performance starts to give diminishing returns. My M50 is every bit as fast as my 21 M3P. In the US at least I can’t even use all that speed legally. Not really sure what going from 3.3,to 2.8 even gets you other than bragging rights. These are legit super car numbers. But I can’t use the speed and power anyway.

Having just purchased an i4 m50 I’ll be watching from the sidelines for a couple of years but I think the new m3p is probably going to be “pretty damn special”. I can’t see Tesla letting companies like Kia/Hyundai best them in this segment. It’s not happening. It’s going to be a beast. I still wonder at what point the additional performance starts to give diminishing returns. My M50 is every bit as fast as my 21 M3P. In the US at least I can’t even use all that speed legally. Not really sure what going from 3.3,to 2.8 even gets you other than bragging rights. These are legit super car numbers. But I can’t use the speed and power anyway.
i have my eyes set on the Ioniq 5N unless Tesla manages to improve the m3p in a meaningful way. But if they do…then RIP Hyundai haha

I just hope they don't do anything dumb like get rid of ventilated seats. That instantly killed any desire for me to get the Hyundai N or Kia EV6 GT 😁

Honestly, the only real separation between the M3P, i50M and Kia EV6 GT is whoever gets the jump first. It would be nice if the new M3P jumped this class though as I always want my next car to be a bit faster :D

I just hope they don't do anything dumb like get rid of ventilated seats. That instantly killed any desire for me to get the Hyundai N or Kia EV6 GT 😁

Honestly, the only real separation between the M3P, i50M and Kia EV6 GT is whoever gets the jump first. It would be nice if the new M3P jumped this class though as I always want my next car to be a bit faster :D

Don't let age dictate what you should own/drive.
This 👆🏽

I’m 49 (wtf 🙄) and I enjoy every bit of my 22’ M3LR boost. I nail that peddle at least 2-3x per drive…addictive! (Hey 0-70kph isn’t breaking any laws :)

I’m at 3.7 sec 0-100 and if this was a full second faster; I’d be in heaven.

Also the handling..coming out of turns…can’t wait to see how the new 3P will conduct itself.

If it gets 2.6/2.7 specs, I’ll trade the current.in minutes!

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and MarkoP
The M3P is 800-1000lbs. lighter than the Korean triplets or the I4M50, which is both crazy AND a huge advantage for Tesla.
It’s an advantage but the reason the bmw weighs more is because it’s a proper car with a proper interior and build quality. If you want those things (I do) it’s going to weigh more. And the bmw matches the Tesla to 60 and beats it to 1/4 mile. So I wouldn’t say it’s an advantage. I’d say it has different priorities.

It’s an advantage but the reason the bmw weighs more is because it’s a proper car with a proper interior and build quality. If you want those things (I do) it’s going to weigh more. And the bmw matches the Tesla to 60 and beats it to 1/4 mile. So I wouldn’t say it’s an advantage. I’d say it has different priorities.

Does it actually beat it in the 1/4th? I've seen numerous 11.4s as the fastest M3P times but I still haven't seen an I4 M50 do that. I've yet to see sub 3.1s 0-60 on an iM50 and i've also seen that with a stock M3P. Almost every Youtube drag race featuring those 2 have the M3P slightly faster. Just saying.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd