Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 600 HP they get in the AWD trim would still make a great M3P, but like we keep saying, only if it sustains.
The concern here is that they are only doing 600/800 HP off of a 120+ kW pack. We still don't have a lot of data that Tesla is happy to do that level of power off of 80kW packs.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The 600 HP they get in the AWD trim would still make a great M3P, but like we keep saying, only if it sustains.
The concern here is that they are only doing 600/800 HP off of a 120+ kW pack. We still don't have a lot of data that Tesla is happy to do that level of power off of 80kW packs.
With the S/X they're doing 670hp and 1020hp off a 98 kWh pack. Realistically if they're doing 1020 from 98kWh, they could probably manage to do 600 from 80 kWh.

Some of the older P90D cars had some really strong 0-60 mph times. They should be hitting peak HP by 60 mph. They definitely didn't have the top end speed though. They were trapping barely above my Model 3 Performance. New Model S LR cars are trapping 130+ mph with the 100 kWh batteries.

The battery pack shouldn't care what vehicle speed you are at. It should be able to output the maximum HP regardless of what the vehicle speed is. Now of course it won't output max HP at low speeds because torque would be too high. It also might not be able to sustain max HP for longer periods of time because of heat.

The motors are what can't accept high Power at high or even low speeds. They have to be the limiting factor in the Model 3 Performance.

With the S/X they're doing 670hp and 1020hp off a 98 kWh pack. Realistically if they're doing 1020 from 98kWh, they could probably manage to do 600 from 80 kWh.
It already outputs 602 HP from the 82.1 kWh battery pack in my 2022 Model 3 Performance. It could probably do 660+ HP with the 82.1 kWh battery pack.

IMG_5799.png
IMG_5798.png

I’m not a battery engineer but I imagine there are load and longevity issues to deal with and the size of the battery pack may play into this.
That isn't a limiting factor of the battery though. It has one single purpose. That is to output electricity to the motors and other electrical devices.

It can output 535 HP at 55 mph just the same as it could at 120 MPH or even 1 mph. The issue is that the motors and tires can't handle max HP at low and high speeds. They can only handle it right now at 55 mph.

Reactions: clerks
I don't think the website mentions the motor tech just yet. But the "cyberbeast" is clearly listed as being 3 motor.
I know the CyberBeast is tri-motor. The CarWow video shows where the tri-motor sign came from. However, I find it odd that Tesla has not even mentioned it is tri-motor publicly. There was just one sign that said it next to a rear motor assembly in the plant.

It already outputs 602 HP from the 82.1 kWh battery pack in my 2022 Model 3 Performance. It could probably do 660+ HP with the 82.1 kWh battery pack.

View attachment 995532View attachment 995531
I don’t think that’s true. Power to weight wise, 600hp and 4,000 lbs with AWD should give you much faster than a 3s 0-60. EV6/5N do a similar 0-60 and they weigh 1000 lbs more. Even a C8 corvette does 0-60 in 3s with 500hp and it doesn’t even have a flat power curve like an EV

Reactions: Gasaraki
I don’t think that’s true. Power to weight wise, 600hp and 4,000 lbs with AWD should give you much faster than a 3s 0-60. EV6/5N do a similar 0-60 and they weigh 1000 lbs more. Even a C8 corvette does 0-60 in 3s with 500hp
You have to remember that this is a single speed transmission and this is HP out of the battery. There are a lot of losses from the battery through the motors and through the fixed gearset. When you talk about losses in an ICE vehicle you are just talking about losses through the transmission. If you took the losses from the gas to the wheels into account it would be something like 55% losses in the ICE vehicle.

There is something like 11% losses from the battery, through the motors, and on to the wheels in the Model 3 Performance. 602 HP at the battery and 535 WHP is reasonable for a fully optimized Fremont built Model 3 Performance.

The C8 Corvette Stingray does have a flat power curve on the top half of its rev range. Also the Corvette shifts once or twice on its way to 60 MPH. It maintains 495 HP for almost 30 mph of increase. With an EV it only hits 535 WHP at 55 mph. All of the rest of the time it is way lower than 535 HP because it can't shift back into the powerband.

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605
I know the CyberBeast is tri-motor. The CarWow video shows where the tri-motor sign came from. However, I find it odd that Tesla has not even mentioned it is tri-motor publicly. There was just one sign that said it next to a rear motor assembly in the plant.
I watched a number of Youtube videos where they walked along the Cybertruck assembly line, and there were signs about both the front and rear motors. For the top of the line Cybertruck "Beast", the signs specifically said that the front motor is a permanent magnet motor of about 300 HP with an electronically lockable differential, and that the rear motors were induction motors with no differential and torque vectoring. I think that's a pretty public mention. It seems that Tesla wanted the revelations to come out through the people who were at the delivery event rather than from Elon or other Tesla folks. It's probably more effective from a publicity standpoint.

I could only imagine when those steering trickery works its way into other Performance variants to inspire even more confidence when driving aggressively. That Roadster will be special whenever production start?

Higher pack voltage has been mentioned time and time again as a solution to high speed acceleration in this thread. It is true that back EMF increases with speed and that higher pack voltage could overcome this. As @gearcruncher and others have repeatedly mentioned, different packs may not be in the cards due to the cost. The new S/X is a good example. Same pack for all versions. One of many drawbacks with just raising the voltage is that regen becomes less efficient.
Because of the efficiency lost in boosting the motor voltage to overcome the higher pack voltage during regen.

Because of the efficiency lost in boosting the motor voltage to overcome the higher pack voltage during regen.
Except:
1) Boosting voltage more is not necessarily less efficient, and in fact can be more efficient due to lower currents. If larger voltage deltas were always less efficient, than 150kV transmission lines would not exist.
2) You're assuming the motor itself is identical, and not changed to align with the battery voltage and be more capable in all the regimes.

Except:
1) Boosting voltage more is not necessarily less efficient, and in fact can be more efficient due to lower currents. If larger voltage deltas were always less efficient, than 150kV transmission lines would not exist.
I assume everyone here has past at least middle school physics and thus already knows Ohms law and knows that high voltage is more efficient in transmission, yes.

What we were talking about was not absolute voltage but the voltage delta between motor and battery for the purpose of counter acting back EMF and get more high speed torque. The higher the delta, the higher the boost loss in regen mode.

Elementary, my dear Watson. 😉 🤣

By the way, did anyone else notice that Tesla has removed the option to Order a new/custom vehicle on their website? Looks like the only option right now is to buy from existing inventory. Perhaps this is an indication that they are about to officially release the new Highland Model 3 in the US. 🤞

Last edited:
Elementary, my dear Watson. 😉 🤣

By the way, did anyone else notice that Tesla has removed the option to Order a new/custom vehicle on their website? Looks like the only option right now is to buy from existing inventory. Perhaps this is an indication that they are about to officially release the new Highland Model 3 in the US. 🤞

No?

It's still showing the option to order for me

order.jpg