Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange. I don’t have the option on my screen…

IMG_7554.png

Elementary, my dear Watson. 😉 🤣

By the way, did anyone else notice that Tesla has removed the option to Order a new/custom vehicle on their website? Looks like the only option right now is to buy from existing inventory. Perhaps this is an indication that they are about to officially release the new Highland Model 3 in the US. 🤞
The option is still there. You just have to navigate through the menu to get to it now. I don't expect the order link to stay up for more than 2-3 weeks for the Model 3. 2024 Highland production will start in early 2024 I believe.

Reactions: GreenHokie
What we were talking about was not absolute voltage but the voltage delta between motor and battery for the purpose of counter acting back EMF and get more high speed torque. The higher the delta, the higher the boost loss in regen mode.
You state this without any proof however.

You are saying that by definition, delta V is indicative of conversion loss? That if I look up any voltage conversion system that it will have an efficiency curve dominated by delta V?

If this is true, can you explain why the car is not massively inefficient at low speeds? It's the same conversion both ways, when I want to go 10 MPH I have to downconvert the battery voltage by about the same gap as I would if I want to regen at 10 MPH.

The option is still there. You just have to navigate through the menu to get to it now. I don't expect the order link to stay up for more than 2-3 weeks for the Model 3. 2024 Highland production will start in early 2024 I believe.
Thanks. Yeah, I just realized Tesla now makes you navigate through their menu system to arrive at the option for a custom order. An obvious sales tactic by Tesla to steer buyers towards existing inventory, instead of a custom order.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
One of many drawbacks with just raising the voltage is that regen becomes less efficient.
I think that if more voltage pack voltage to overcome back EMF is what they need, it's much cheaper to lower the motor voltage by changing the stator winding in the rear motor. Tesla is already using different windings in the carbon sleeve motors, one for the 900V version in the trucks and another for the Plaid.
What we were talking about was not absolute voltage but the voltage delta between motor and battery for the purpose of counter acting back EMF and get more high speed torque. The higher the delta, the higher the boost loss in regen mode.

That's not how it works. Back EMF is a function of the motor design and the motor is ideally designed for the battery voltage. In other words, at the first order, the battery can be any voltage and any motor optimized for that voltage will perform identically to any other optimized system at any other voltage. Regen, back EMF, power, speed, efficiency, or otherwise.

There are 2nd order subtleties which make certain voltages slightly more efficient than others for any given power/speed/component configuration, but these are negligible in the range we are discussing and generally apply equally to power and regen anyway.

I have a RWD but I’d like the next one to be a P. I hope they ditch the turbines and go back to stilettos or something of that design. Personal preference, but I was never big on the turbines. I think this one is going to look good.

I have a RWD but I’d like the next one to be a P. I hope they ditch the turbines and go back to stilettos or something of that design. Personal preference, but I was never big on the turbines. I think this one is going to look good.
I was able to sell my Uberturbines for more than the installed cost of my new wheels. 🤷‍♂️

That's not how it works. Back EMF is a function of the motor design and the motor is ideally designed for the battery voltage.
Sure but we were talking about a motor optimized for one nominal voltage, matched to packs of different nominal voltages. As an example, on the old model S I thought I read 250V on the same motor matched to packs of 350 and 400, depending.
An example of even larger difference; in the Munro interview with Baglino you can hear that the gen 4 MYP motor for MYP 350V doubles as CT PM 800V motor with only the inverter being different.

For the edge case/point in time when motor voltage at most efficient duty cycle matches battery voltage and only needs to be rectified, buck or boost action adds 0 extra loss, because there is none.
Since you can't get less loss than 0, it should be pretty obvious that the regen efficiency will be lower if your DC out is so high that the DU needs to run in boost most of the regen time. Perhaps it's an insignificant loss but it can't be nothing, can it?

Last edited:
For the edge case/point in time when motor voltage at most efficient duty cycle matches battery voltage and only needs to be rectified, buck or boost action adds 0 extra loss, because there is none.

You keep acting like the primary driver of efficency in a DC/DC converter is voltage differential. This is just flat out not correct for many conversion architectures, and they almost always are dominated by the power they are converting, not the voltage differential. The power curve is not some linear curve also, they are often very inefficent at low loads.

But none of this matters, because an AC motor is not a DC/DC converter. The system does not convert battery voltage into another DC voltage, and then use that voltage to drive a motor controller. We're taking DC and directly running a multi-phase AC motor with a variable frequency waveform. There is no single voltage in this system to be referenced.

If it was going to be released at the same time as the other highland cars, we'd have heard the specs by now. Yet highland is shipping in other countries and they aren't taking performance orders yet.

3rd quarter 2024 is my guess. Tesla is focused on the Cybertruck and trying to not have NHTSA completely gut their autonomy and crash the value of the company.

If it was going to be released at the same time as the other highland cars, we'd have heard the specs by now. Yet highland is shipping in other countries and they aren't taking performance orders yet.

3rd quarter 2024 is my guess. Tesla is focused on the Cybertruck and trying to not have NHTSA completely gut their autonomy and crash the value of the company.
It is possible that the Model 3 Ludicrous is a 2025 Model and not a 2024 model like the RWD and LR.

It is also possible that they didn’t say anything about the Model 3 Performance losing tax credits in 2024 because there won’t be a 2024 Model 3 Performance.

Imagine this scenario where the Highland Model 3 RWD and LR cars come out in Q1 but the Performance model stops production completely.

Older Model 3 RWD and LR cars will lose even more resell value. However, it might actually be possible for the older Model 3 Performance cars to retain their resell value since you won’t be able to buy a new one then.

No way to know for sure what will happen in the future.

If past performance is an indication of future results, the engineers at Tesla are working on door seals for the Higland M3P so that it can be used as a hyperbaric chamber if you ever hapen to find yourself on K2. But only for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
It is possible that the Model 3 Ludicrous is a 2025 Model and not a 2024 model like the RWD and LR.

It is also possible that they didn’t say anything about the Model 3 Performance losing tax credits in 2024 because there won’t be a 2024 Model 3 Performance.

Imagine this scenario where the Highland Model 3 RWD and LR cars come out in Q1 but the Performance model stops production completely.

Older Model 3 RWD and LR cars will lose even more resell value. However, it might actually be possible for the older Model 3 Performance cars to retain their resell value since you won’t be able to buy a new one then.

I doubt they’d discontinue it as it’s likely a higher margin Model 3 that was selling I guess in reasonable numbers.

Of course they did decide not to sell the Model S and X in 1/3 of the world that’s RHD. It’s not impossible but there’s been parts leaks so seems very unlikely in my opinion. They’d be giving this space up to other manufacturers that will make fast EV compact saloons.

Reactions: afadeev
I doubt they’d discontinue it as it’s likely a higher margin Model 3 that was selling I guess in reasonable numbers.

Of course they did decide not to sell the Model S and X in 1/3 of the world that’s RHD. It’s not impossible but there’s been parts leaks so seems very unlikely in my opinion. They’d be giving this space up to other manufacturers that will make fast EV compact saloons.
Not discontinue it. Just delay it until late in 2024 so they can focus on cranking out the RWD and LR cars. They have already stopped producing the Performance model for most of the rest of the world. It is entirely possible that they may do that here for a number of months.

Not discontinue it. Just delay it until late in 2024 so they can focus on cranking out the RWD and LR cars. They have already stopped producing the Performance model for most of the rest of the world. It is entirely possible that they may do that here for a number of months.
They were having to discount them quite a bit to shift Model 3 before the refresh. Model Y really dented demand for it as expected plus more competition, especially in China / Europe regions where they are launching Highland first.

Possible the refresh bumps demand for a bit but probably also most of the public have zero idea it’s changed and a certain amount of them now won’t touch it because of the lack of stalks. I mean I’m in UK and I can still order one and get it next month or month after which will still be first batch here. If it was in heavy demand that would have pushed back a lot.

I think it’s merely delayed because they didn’t have it ready on time and decided they needed highland sooner rather than later so hit the Go Baby Go launch button.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Unless Elon decides to go soft against his compeditors which I can't see that?
Remember, according to a lot of people in this thread, unless it has a unique interior that is much more high end instead of the econobox we have now, unique exterior that tells everyone BECAUSE RACECAR, and can beat a $100K BMW M3 0-60, 0-100, 0-150, quarter mile, and nurburgring lap, Tesla has already gone soft and it's completely pointless for them to make a new M3P and should just give up.

Last edited:
As much as I love the wife’s Model 3 Performance, I don’t see it as a BMW M3 competitor. That car has an expensive interior and overall setup is much more tuned for driving.

I don’t think the M3P needs to try to be a BMW M3 beater. They both have their space in the market. I think Tesla is great at doing extreme straight line performance in a really cheap package. It’s an EV American muscle car more than a track focused, semi luxury type European car.

I nice looking, quality interior is great but we don’t need it. I’d like comfort, performance, efficiency and sensible price. Tesla does all but comfort well but hopefully highland has moved that game on nicely, they are great at the others.

Reactions: DomDeWild