Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many of you guys deriding the S handling have actually driven one of the refresh models? I was fully expecting mine to feel like a boat, but it’s surprisingly good. It’s hard to overstate how much better the dampers are. I’m sure the model 3 will keep its grip longer, ultimately hard to get past the weight. But in terms of actual driving feel and confidence inspiring handling, I find the S is surprisingly good. Far less body roll too (granted there is very little relation between roll and grip)

A model 3 that had S-quality or better suspension, Plaid motors, and a nicer interior would probably be my ideal Tesla, but that’s not something the company is interested in making
Yes, driven the MS Plaid several times. Don’t get me wrong, the straight line acceleration/power is out of this world. I just don’t like any else about the driving experience. I’d take the harsher (but more nimble/fun) ride of a Model 3 over a MS any day. Perhaps with the reported better suspension and fit/finish of the upcoming Model 3 Highland/refresh, there won’t be as big of a difference in ride quality/comfort compared to the MS... but this is not an important criteria for me anyway.

• Love
Reactions: phantasms
Tesla has not really made any significant design/body changes to the S since it was officially launched in 2012. IMO, it is in bad need of a major design/style refresh. Just my opinion of course. Obviously, there are many who still like the MS styling.

I read similar comments regularly, but mostly from people who don’t own Teslas. To me, the MUCH wider fender flares front and rear, plus wheels with far more aggressive offset completely change and dramatically improve the look and especially the stance of the refreshed S vs. the 2012-2021 body style.

Turns my head every time I see one.

Reactions: White_Walker
Think about this for a moment....if these performance projections are true, having a 1/4 mile of around 10.6-10.8 at 125+ mph....for around 60k???

Those are insane stats comparable to a 2017 911 turbo that retailed for 170k or a new Z06. Like others have mentioned, our current stats are basically the same as they were when M3P was first introduced (yes, I'm aware it has gotten incrementally quicker over the years).

Think about this for a moment....if these performance projections are true, having a 1/4 mile of around 10.6-10.8 at 125+ mph....for around 60k???

Those are insane stats comparable to a 2017 911 turbo that retailed for 170k or a new Z06. Like others have mentioned, our current stats are basically the same as they were when M3P was first introduced (yes, I'm aware it has gotten incrementally quicker over the years).
Carwow did a drag race including a Model 3 Performance, an M3 xDrive Competition, and an Audi RS5 about a year ago. The Model 3 turned an 11.7, but the M3 did an 11.4, and was pulling hard on the Model 3 by the end of the 1/4 mile. The Audi RS5 was last in the 1/4 mile, but is also faster than the Model 3 at higher speeds. Anything in the 10s would give the Model 3 the win over its competition.

Of course, a Model 3 Performance starts at $50,990, while the M3 xDrive Competition starts at $84,300, and an Audi RS5 starts at $78,900.

Last edited:
Yes, driven the MS Plaid several times. Don’t get me wrong, the straight line acceleration/power is out of this world. I just don’t like any else about the driving experience. I’d take the harsher (but more nimble/fun) ride of a Model 3 over a MS any day. Perhaps with the reported better suspension and fit/finish of the upcoming Model 3 Highland/refresh, there won’t be as big of a difference in ride quality/comfort compared to the MS... but this is not an important criteria for me anyway.
I have a hard time calling the model 3 nimble. It’s still ultimately a 4k lb car, and the dampers just aren’t very good. Definitely feels floatier when pushing things. Been driving the cars back to back a for a while now.

Like I said I know ultimate grip is going to be better in the model 3. But in terms of driver feel, I’m just not seeing it.

Reactions: advocate8
I’m with you. Can buy a MS Plaid today if I wanted to, but don’t ever want a sedan that large. Just not that fun to drive around IMO and it’s certainly not as nimble. Besides, I simply don’t find the styling on the MS very appealing. IMO, it is a very outdated design. As we all know, Tesla has not really made any significant design/body changes to the S since it was officially launched in 2012. IMO, it is in bad need of a major design/style refresh. Just my opinion of course. Obviously, there are many who still like the MS styling.

Give me a Model 3 Ludicrous or Plaid with similar performance numbers as the MS Plaid and I will pay whatever price Tesla wants to charge for it... even if it is at the same price point as the current MS Plaid. Yeah, I’m that crazy!!! 🤪
You can get the Founders edition @ +$40k ;)

You can get the Founders edition @ +$40k ;)

If that upgrade were to give me the same or better performance numbers than the current MS Plaid, then I would gladly pay it!! 😎

Ultimately, I always ask myself: What is the current market price for a vehicle that does 0-60 in 2 to 2.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile in 10 sec or less? I don’t think there are very many (or any for that matter) with these types of performance numbers that cost less than $250K… except for vehicles made by Tesla. So, a MS Plaid for $90K or a Model3 Ludicrous/Plaid for $70K, $80K or even $90K would still make it a bargain in my mind. This is just how I would justify the price point. Of course, most folks probably wouldn’t view it this way and that’s OK…

Last edited:
Reactions: SigNC
I have a hard time calling the model 3 nimble. It’s still ultimately a 4k lb car, and the dampers just aren’t very good. Definitely feels floatier when pushing things. Been driving the cars back to back a for a while now.

Like I said I know ultimate grip is going to be better in the model 3. But in terms of driver feel, I’m just not seeing it.

I can respect that. As we know, things like ride comfort/feel/quality is very subjective. What I find nimble & fun, may not feel the same way to you…

Carwow did a drag race including a Model 3 Performance, an M3 xDrive Competition, and an Audi RS5 about a year ago. The Model 3 turned an 11.7, but the M3 did an 11.4, and was pulling hard on the Model 3 by the end of the 1/4 mile. The Audi RS5 was last in the 1/4 mile, but is also faster than the Model 3 at higher speeds. Anything in the 10s would give the Model 3 the win over its competition.

Of course, a Model 3 Performance starts at $50,990, while the M3 xDrive Competition starts at $84,300, and an Audi RS5 starts at $78,900.

CarWow tests Tesla vehicles in Track Mode which destroys straight line acceleration. I don’t think I have ever done slower than 11.6 in my Model 3. I probably have 75 separate passes of 11.39 or quicker.

All of these passes are 11.39 or quicker and that was from over 1.5 years ago. 11.3s were disappointing runs for me last year.

IMG_3751.jpeg

I think CarWow is highly biased against Tesla. They used snow tire equipped Model X Plaid compete with other brand cars with summer performance tire, and they constantly do this kind of negatives against Tesla. I guess they get paid big bucks by the other legacy auto makers.

Reactions: DanCar
I think CarWow is highly biased against Tesla. They used snow tire equipped Model X Plaid compete with other brand cars with summer performance tire, and they constantly do this kind of negatives against Tesla. I guess they get paid big bucks by the other legacy auto makers.

Strange. I certainly have not seen all videos/reviews that CarWow has done. But, for all the ones that I have seen, my impression is CarWow is mostly neutral or perhaps shows a slight bias/favor towards Tesla.

Reactions: terranx
Agreed.

The host had his own mother buy a Model 3, after all!
And that host (Matt) seems to get invited by Tesla to attend many of Tesla’s new/upcoming products. I think Matt was one of the first YouTubers to have/post an in-depth review of the Model 3 Highland several months ago when it was officially announced/launched. You definitely do not get/stay on Tesla’s invite list if you are constantly showing a negative bias towards or bashing Tesla in your videos…

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd

ln all fairness, that was what the Plaid had on it that they could get. They couldn’t find another one with regular tires because I don’t think the Model X Plaid is sold in the UK.

With the Model 3 Performance they are actively diminishing the Performance when they could just leave it out of Track Mode and it would do better. If they just hit the single button to navigate to a supercharger it would do even better than that.

And that host (Matt) seems to get invited by Tesla to attend many of Tesla’s new/upcoming products. I think Matt was one of the first YouTubers to have/post an in-depth review of the Model 3 Highland several months ago when it was officially announced/launched. You definitely do not get/stay on Tesla’s invite list if you are constantly showing a negative bias towards or bashing Tesla in your videos…
If you stroke Musk’s ego you can have whatever you want.

CarWow had the exclusive rights to post their in depth review a day before everyone else for the Highland Model 3.

Reactions: GreenHokie
ln all fairness, that was what the Plaid had on it that they could get. They couldn’t find another one with regular tires because I don’t think the Model X Plaid is sold in the UK.

With the Model 3 Performance they are actively diminishing the Performance when they could just leave it out of Track Mode and it would do better. If they just hit the single button to navigate to a supercharger it would do even better than that.
The sad part is, they dont know that. And Tesla doesnt make it obvious that this is how it actually works. We all know because we are Tesla nerds.