Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dumpster fire refers to pricing pressure, discounts, incentives and poor resale values. I think a $55,000+ model 3 in any trim will be a hard sell in 2024. We can revisit my post in a year or two and see how it goes.

Well, the dumpster fire as you’ve defined it, certainly has not hurt Tesla’s sales volumes as they continue to break records… as @Nightshade has eloquently pointed out in his above post.

Despite Tesla’s best efforts to derail their own sales (like with their constant and very annoying price changes), fools like me (as well as millions of others) continue to put up with and buy their *sugar*.

And, I can almost guarantee you that a Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid (or whatever they end up calling it) priced at $55K or even slightly higher will be an extremely easy sell for Tesla.
Just like when Tesla sold out of all their previous generation Model 3 Performance trims when those vehicles were priced in the $60-$70K range, Tesla will have no problem selling out their next generation Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid.

I’m game for a friendly wager if you are…

Last edited:
Well, the dumpster fire as you’ve defined it, certainly has not hurt Tesla’s sales volumes as they continue to break records… as @Nightshade has eloquently pointed out in his above post.

Despite Tesla’s best efforts to derail their own sales (like with their constant and very annoying price changes), fools like me (as well as millions of others) continue to put up with and buy their *sugar*.

And, I can almost guarantee you that a Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid (or whatever they end up calling it) priced at $55K or even slightly higher will be an extremely easy sell for Tesla.
Just like when Tesla sold out of all their previous generation Model 3 Performance trims when those vehicles were priced in the $60-$70K range, Tesla will have no problem selling out their next generation Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous/Plaid.

Sales volumes aren’t the sole metric for determining success. It will be difficult to declare a winner in this friendly bet because we probably won’t ever agree on what a “success” is. I’m rooting for the M3P. I hope they knock it out of the park. But I’m skeptical because the competition is stepping it up. I’d need the performance gap to be much bigger than it currently is versus the M50 to consider one but I hope Tesla gives me every reason to do so.

Two weeks
1708569114638.jpeg

Reactions: Stew-2 and Adam3
It will in the beginning like everything else. Even the Mach-Es and regular Ioniqs had ADM when they came out due to limited supply. Obviously once they reached a level of equilibrium, they can't get rid of them without thousands of dollars of discounts. Same will happen to the Ioniq N. There will be some nerds who run out to buy the first ones and will probably get hit with ADM.
The world is very different now. ADMs are just about gone except for the very very rare. I don’t doubt that some fools will pay over msrp for an N. If i were Hyundai I’d crank those things out by the thousands and get as many as I could on the road.
No they definitely were. Taycan is the whole reason the Plaid exists
Well I’m a fan of both cars. So I’m glad they both exist.

Two weeks
You mistyped “nobody has any idea”.

Just for some perspective. The Highland Model 3 first appeared in the wild in February of 2023. It was more than 6 months before you could order it in Europe and 8 months before any real production numbers happened.

It took exactly a year from the first spy shots till the Highland was available in the US. Even if they announce it soon it could be MANY months before they actually deliver them to customers.

The last couple of Model 3 Performance cars are selling for under $40k right now. Even at $55k the I4 M50 is still overpriced.

View attachment 1020676
We are talking about a hypothetical new M3P at 55k. This post makes no sense. You are moving the goal posts. I’d still pay 10k more for an i4 for a variety of reasons so to me it wouldn’t matter anyway. And you are comparing 2023 lame duck cars to new 2024 i4s? Not sure I understand your point.

Interesting article about EVs in the current market.

Here’s an interesting quote:

“The EV market is extremely distorted by incentive schemes around the world,” Weigl said. Demand is “artificially stoked, and it currently ends with the second-hand market.”