Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a dumb argument. Why buy any car over 400hp, heck 300hp, if you spend 99% of the time below 100mph. You should tell all those car manufacturers that sell 400,500,600 + hp cars they will never have a single sale..... oh wait...

Down in Florida there's highways everywhere and long stretches of road elsewhere. Same with many other parts of the country. And we drive on those roads at all times of the day, not just 3am. And sometimes we like to line up and go against a random car. This is where a Model 3 P falls apart, and struggles against a crappy Mustang GT for example. Let alone a true 500/600 hp car that just leaves a M3P in the dust.
This!

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
People can value whatever they want in cars.

I value usable performance, which for me means performance I can use in my day-to-day driving. A Hellcat would be of zero use to me, because I don't need to show off to anyone, and because my car will decimate a Hellcat in daily street driving, which by definition doesn't include 3AM roll-racing.

And even though I spend part of the year right next to a completely desolate area with hundreds of miles of straight, mostly empty roads, I virtually never go there, because who has time for that?

My car is very quick on the roads I drive every day - that's what matters to me.

People can value whatever they want in cars.

I value usable performance, which for me means performance I can use in my day-to-day driving. A Hellcat would be of zero use to me, because I don't need to show off to anyone, and because my car will decimate a Hellcat in daily street driving, which by definition doesn't include 3AM roll-racing.

And even though I spend part of the year right next to a completely desolate area with hundreds of miles of straight, mostly empty roads, I virtually never go there, because who has time for that?

My car is very quick on the roads I drive every day - that's what matters to me.

I suppose when you say “by definition” you’re only referring to your own definition of “usable performance”? LOL jk - I’m not that much of a nitpick. Just tying to keep it lighthearted in here😁

Quote from the article.

'Enthusiasts quickly reacted by adding these numbers to conclude that the Model 3 Performance's combined output would be 618 hp, a 113 hp boost over the prior model.

While the power boost could certainly be substantial, the combined power output isn’t just the sum of individual motor outputs. The motors could have a different transmission ratio, and the power distribution managed by the EV’s computers could be optimized differently. So take that exact power figure with a grain of salt for now.'

Based on this how realistic is it, that there maybe some sort of power boost unlock to take it over 700hp as some are saying?

Last edited:
Am I crazy that “falls on its face” seems so hyperbolic when it only traps a few mph slower than its (2018-2020) competition? How did we get so committed to this phrase?

ICE cars have a similar drop in wheel torque with speed, but that drop also comes with tactile shifts and changes in sound so we expect it. I guess when all we do is mash the throttle and physics eventually kicks in, but without indications of shifting gears, etc, it makes people mad?

IMG_3735.jpeg

Reactions: White_Walker
Have you driven the car? And have you driven a Tesla that can actually maintain its power at high speeds? It feels like an absolute turd above 70 or so

Torque drops in all cars a speed increase, agreed that’s physics. But ICE cars can maintain a relatively stable horsepower. Model 3 drops power considerably a speed increases, which magnifies the torque drop even more.

This is my expectation of the EU/Asia spec M3L/M3P 2024 with 4D2 rear motor. It is a mixture of:
  • Power / Torque values at different RPM of the 3D6 Hairpin Performance Motor and 4D1 Hairpin Performance Motor from internal documents by Tesla.
  • SMT measurements of 3D3+3D6 Performance configuration in M3/MY in combination with the expected LG 5L pack.
  • SMT measurements of 3D3+4D1 Performance configuration in M3/MY in combination with the expected LG 5L pack.
  • Known peak power limit at known speed of the 4D2 according to the Korean docs.
  • The US spec car with Panasonic cells should not level at 415kW, but continue to climb up to 425-435kW and then level between 75 and 120kph.
1709803573464.jpeg

This is my expectation of the EU/Asia spec M3L/M3P 2024 with 4D2 rear motor. It is a mixture of:
  • Power / Torque values at different RPM of the 3D6 Hairpin Performance Motor and 4D1 Hairpin Performance Motor from internal documents by Tesla.
  • SMT measurements of 3D3+3D6 Performance configuration in M3/MY in combination with the expected LG 5L pack.
  • SMT measurements of 3D3+4D1 Performance configuration in M3/MY in combination with the expected LG 5L pack.
  • Known peak power limit at known speed of the 4D2 according to the Korean docs.
  • The US spec car with Panasonic cells should not level at 415kW, but continue to climb up to 425-435kW and then level between 75 and 120kph.
View attachment 1025469
Hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of creating a similar graph with my best data and the Panasonic battery. It isn’t totally accurate because the speeds for the peaks are different but it is close enough to get the idea.

My graph has mph as the X axis and KW as the Y axis. Peak front motor power is 198 KW at 57 mph with my current car. That is from my data reading Canbus values.

Peak rear motor power is currently 266 KW at 45 mph according to my data.

For my predicted rear motor power in the Ludicrous I get 300 KW at 68 mph and total combined peak power of 485 KW or 650 US HP at 68 mph. My current car peaked at 448 KW(609 HP) at 56 mph.

That would be about 40 HP increase for the maximum but just look at that area under the curve that you are adding! This would easily get the car into the 10s.

The important thing to recognize here is that I am basing my predicted rear motor values off of my absolute best run with a perfectly optimized battery. That is where it is only 40 HP better. If the battery was less than optimized then that HP difference would grow significantly.

I no longer think the Model 3 needs a different front motor. This difference in rear motor alone if these predictions are true would be a HUGE step up. It would still be pulling 506 HP combined at 110 mph as opposed to 451 HP combined at 110 mph before.

I am 100% trading my 2022 Model 3 Performance for the Ludicrous Model 3. Thanks to @eivissa for showing us what a difference this could make. You can use my graph below in any way you see fit if you want to.

Ludi Graph.jpeg

Last edited:
For my predicted rear motor power in the Ludicrous I get 300 KW at 68 mph and total combined peak power of 485 KW or 650 US HP at 68 mph. My current car peaked at 448 KW(609 HP) at 56 mph.

The only question is, how to extract that extra power from the current Panasonic pack. I am still puzzled about your 448kW screenshots as you are really the only source were I've seen these high numbers. Every other car I know caps at 435kW, although the BMS max discharge states 462kW as the absolute max.

I expect all current performance models with the 4D1 motors will get this bump too.
That is something I doubt, as to my knowledge the 4D1 performance cars use the 840A inverter, which tops at 269kW.

I’m convinced these authors lurk the forums and latch on to anything that gains traction.
From new posters creating threads in years past, to this highland article.

There’s not much headroom on the pack for all this magic power the echo chamber assumes is happening.

“But but but A little birdie tooolllllld meh” 😂

Pipe dreams.

I’m convinced these authors lurk the forums and latch on to anything that gains traction.
From new posters creating threads in years past, to this highland article.

There’s not much headroom on the pack for all this magic power the echo chamber assumes is happening.

“But but but A little birdie tooolllllld meh” 😂

Pipe dreams.
Cars are battery limited. I've always said that no big bump was coming. I also believe the 4D1 and 4D2 are very similar.