Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re a little off there. 2200kg is 4800lbs
Yes, I definitely had a type-O there.

IMG_4460.jpeg

Reactions: hoang51 and cptnslo
With a 100 more hp on the new rear motor it has to be faster than 2.9 0-60.
The difference keeps being stated wrong I am afraid.

The old motors (3D1/3D6) were limited to 269kW (320V x 840A). The new motor (4D2) is limited to 304kW (320V x 950A).

The difference between the two motors is only 35kW / 47hp!

...and the limit is still the battery, even if you put a 1000kW DU in it.

The difference keeps being stated wrong I am afraid.

The old motors (3D1/3D6) were limited to 269kW (320V x 840A). The new motor (4D2) is limited to 304kW (320V x 950A).

The difference between the two motors is only 35kW / 47hp!

...and the limit is still the battery, even if you put a 1000kW DU in it.
Can you clarify one thing for me? I understand that the battery limits max HP. However, it is traction that limits power/torque that can be applied at speeds below max power and the motors that limit how much power that can be applied at speeds above max power, right?

Is it possible that the gains in HP exceed 47 HP at speeds where the Model 3 Performance would drop off in power but the Model 3 Ludicrous won’t drop off as much?

In your graph below the max HP gain in the rear motor occurs at approximately 100 kph. However, the maximum gain in total combined HP for the front and rear motors occurs past 120 kph. Is it possible that the combined HP gain exceeds 47 HP?

IMG_4461.jpeg

Oof. I’m glad I only checked for updates on this once yesterday. How long does the embargo usually last after these small events?
It can be weeks. I imagine, just like the S refresh, we’ll get all the details in the Q1 report and then it will go live. This will give media time to finish filming and make edits.

Hopefully we don’t have to wait months for the US release. 😂

I hope it’s a big upgrade as to make me jump from this car which I love. Even the Model S Plaid couldn’t make me get rid of it.
IMG_4561.jpeg

Oof. I’m glad I only checked for updates on this once yesterday. How long does the embargo usually last after these small events?
I think they did multiple events. They had the big name YouTubers there yesterday so that probably was the final session. I think they will announce on Thursday. Almost all of the Tesla vehicle announcements have been on a Thursday lately.

Today would be better for me but I can work with Thursday.

If the car is released with these rumored specs, would you buy it? 2.9 0-60 with maybe a slight improvement on the top end. Plus all the other highland improvements. For me, it would depend on the price if the performance isn’t more impressive.
At this point I have a Plaid so no point. But if I were in the market, it'd be the high speed acceleration and suspension that would make or break it for me. The 0-60 was fine IMO. What I wanted was a car that still felt exciting at highway speed and can take corners without the suspension flailing about.

The rumored specs do suggest the new one will be better in both those aspects. Though I wish they went with the CF motor from the Plaid for even better top end.

When Apple releases a new iPhone, the YouTubers have them for a week before their videos go out and they all hit when the Embargo expires at the same time. So they should be able to edit videos in a week, likely a bit quicker.

Maybe it'll be this week but if not you'd think next week otherwise. Any longer and wonder why they showed the press so early.

Reactions: cptnslo
Today would be better for me but I can work with Thursday.

If the car is released with these rumored specs, would you buy it? 2.9 0-60 with maybe a slight improvement on the top end. Plus all the other highland improvements. For me, it would depend on the price if the performance isn’t more impressive.
I have MPP Sport Coilovers on my car which are fantastic. Likely no matter what Tesla does it will be a step in the wrong direction for me. If the car is able to not completely run out of steam on the highway I’ll get it. My car traps 120. Give me 126 or so and I’m in.

Reactions: oreobbq
When Apple releases a new iPhone, the YouTubers have them for a week before their videos go out and they all hit when the Embargo expires at the same time. So they should be able to edit videos in a week, likely a bit quicker.

Maybe it'll be this week but if not you'd think next week otherwise. Any longer and wonder why they showed the press so early.
I really think it will be this week. Those big YouTubers have their own editors. They can crank out a video in a day or less easily.

I bet the smaller YouTubers went to the space center one last week so they got more time for editing.

I have MPP Sport Coilovers on my car which are fantastic. Likely no matter what Tesla does it will be a step in the wrong direction for me. If the car is able to not completely run out of steam on the highway I’ll get it. My car traps 120. Give me 126 or so and I’m in.
Do you have any time slips or Dragy results for those runs? I just like to see what the intermediate times are for other Model 3s running that fast.