Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 3L will feel like a dog compared to the Plaid, and FWIW, you will absolutely get used to a Plaid after a fairly short time. Great used Plaids are $65K now, I really cant see a reason for a performance-oriented person to buy a 3L unless you want NEW and just hate the better car for some reason.
Plaid doesn't fit in every garage. Some people don't want a bigger car.

FWIW every time I've driven an S, even the fastest ones, I've hated how much like a giant land yacht it felt- especially in tight parking lots, compared to the 3.

Exactly! And to make matters more interesting, our Cybertruck drives more nimble and smaller feeling than any S I’ve driven, Plaid included. They seriously need to do a full new generation S. Even the Plaid is more dated than a Model 3 in my eyes.

The 3L will feel like a dog compared to the Plaid, and FWIW, you will absolutely get used to a Plaid after a fairly short time. Great used Plaids are $65K now, I really cant see a reason for a performance-oriented person to buy a 3L unless you want NEW and just hate the better car for some reason.
I traded a P100D for a M3P in 2018. The P100D only gave me like 5% of a track day. Different strokes.

And the track feel of the 3 was better for me as well.

Reactions: SVDNN and mpgxsvcd
FWIW every time I've driven an S, even the fastest ones, I've hated how much like a giant land yacht it felt- especially in tight parking lots, compared to the 3.

Pretty much the biggest reason I don't want one. I test drove a Plaid S. Incredible pull but it still feels like an enormous car to navigate around the road, in parking lots and parking spaces. The 3 feels nimble and easy to just point and go where you want it with quick confidence. I'm in the camp perfectly fine with compromising less insane pull for nimbleness and easier getting into spaces while being more agile and easier to carve corners and tight spaces.

If you're here in the Model 3 Performance thread, your priority is the more nimble, lighter weight, and more tossable nature of the 3 over the S Plaid. Obviously the S Plaid is not a big jump in price especially used, and if you want the ultimate straight line performance, get that...the M3L is not going to be anywhere close.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
If you're here in the Model 3 Performance thread, your priority is the more nimble, lighter weight, and more tossable nature of the 3 over the S Plaid. Obviously the S Plaid is not a big jump in price especially used, and if you want the ultimate straight line performance, get that...the M3L is not going to be anywhere close.
There do seem to be a decent contingent here who seem to mostly care about the straight line speed.

There do seem to be a decent contingent here who seem to mostly care about the straight line speed.

The current M3P traps a 1/4 mile at 117 or 118 (normally). I think some people here have gotten 119 with weight reductions and preconditioning and other hacks. But lets say best case scenario the new 3 traps a 126 or 127. That's going to be MILES slower than a Plaid which is around 150. I think even if you buy a new M3L for the straight line performance, you're going to feel a lot of FOMO looking across at the $60k Plaids...

The current M3P traps a 1/4 mile at 117 or 118 (normally). I think some people here have gotten 119 with weight reductions and preconditioning and other hacks. But lets say best case scenario the new 3 traps a 126 or 127. That's going to be MILES slower than a Plaid which is around 150. I think even if you buy a new M3L for the straight line performance, you're going to feel a lot of FOMO looking across at the $60k Plaids...
I agree with you. Just sharing what I observed in this thread.

3 certainly feels more "tossable" than an S at low speeds. I do find at the limits though that difference gets blurred. The S' dampers are a lot better and feels more predictable at the actual limits.

Ludicrous has the potential to be a lot better than the old 3 there since they actually seem to be paying to the suspension.

I got to 120.0 mph once with weight reductions but 119+ has been really consistent with those same weight reductions.

For high speed acceleration it isn’t close. With the same front motor the Model 3 Ludicrous is still going to fade but it will be much less noticeable.

However, I think people are underestimating the 0-60 mph of the Model 3 Ludicrous. If it hits 2.5 with rollout subtracted that is still seriously quick. That won’t get old quickly and it honestly won’t feel that much different than the Plaid.

The people that want a brand new small car with “Ludicrous” acceleration up to 70-80 mph are going to be pretty darn happy tomorrow or at least that is my prediction.

Reactions: arkhos
It’s about that time. Here are my final predictions.

1. Embargo will be lifted by 10:00 am Eastern tomorrow(4/23/24).

2. 0-60 mph = 2.5 seconds with rollout subtracted and 2.7 for true 0-60 mph.

3. 1/4 mile in 10.6 @ 126+ mph.

4. $54,990 with no options.

5. Suspension will be an upgrade but still not up to the standards that a true road course car would require.

6. Lighter wheels will mean that switching to smaller wheels will offer minimal benefit for acceleration but a lot of benefit for road hazard protection.

7. Improved brakes but still not up to true track specs. May mean that most 18” wheels no longer fit.

8. I think it will have a Ludicrous Mode. Just a wild guess but I think they showed the car with the “Insane Mode” as a decoy. I think they wanted to see who would leak the 2.9 spec and then they showed the car’s full potential later on to the big name YouTubers.

9. I really think that Musk is worried about the Financial Statement they have to give tomorrow. It really is going to be seen as very bad news. I think he delayed the launch specifically to soften the blow from the financial announcement. I also think that they are pulling out all of the stops for this particular car because they want as much positive publicity before the bad news as possible.

10. I think the TSLA stock gets a slight bump from the Ludicrous launch but ultimately ends up down for the day on the bad financial data.

I think 90% of that is pretty optimistic thinking 😅

I have a suspicion Elon is letting stock price drop holding back big news to get more shares for his bonus. Since he stated needing X percent of TSLA before he'd allow AI to get involved. But thats just me pontificating.

Im guessing 2.7s w/rollout and 10.9@123. Based on literally nothing.

You had me at 2.7s. Show me the car Elon!

The Plaid is a large car, harder to place in traffic, despite being faster, it is less sporty

Reactions: Adam3 and mpgxsvcd