Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conveniently ignoring steering feel and ultimate traction at all times - LOL - okay.

Why buy the Performance version of the car if none of that is important?

Why do mfrs equip their highest-performance cars with UHP summer tires and not all-seasons?
So.. I live in Southern California where it almost never gets below 40 degrees. I swapped out the pirelli pzeros for Michelins pilot sport 4 a/s. Both are equipped with noise foam and the sound is slightly different but equivalent. The only reason why I went with all season is for the rare times we go up the mountain to go skiing/snowboarding during winter. No regrets. I’ve explored the limits on both. I haven’t tracked both but I think the differences are so minor that just the increase in tread life would be worth the change.

On a prior car when I lived in the northeast I had a set of winters (sottozero 3) and ps4s so I’ve also had experience with winter/summer swapping. Would definitely go with ps4 a/s instead and forego the winter swapping

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood
In order to get off this ridiculously annoying tire topic, do we think Tesla priced the car at $52,990 in order to increase sales as they are likely already making a great margin on it? I mean compared to the LR version, what parts cost them a lot more $$$ to justify the $5,250 price increase? From a strictly margin perspective.

Battery - same kWh, likely not much diff in cost
Seats - probably close in cost
Wheels - forged and bigger but still probably close in cost
Carbon fiber trim - immaterial
Diff fascia’s - immaterial
Spoiler - $100 or so
Rear motor - probably the biggest cost difference I would guess

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
In order to get off this ridiculously annoying tire topic, do we think Tesla priced the car at $52,990 in order to increase sales as they are likely already making a great margin on it? I mean compared to the LR version, what parts cost them a lot more $$$ to justify the $5,250 price increase? From a strictly margin perspective.

Battery - same kWh, likely not much diff in cost
Seats - probably close in cost
Wheels - forged and bigger but still probably close in cost
Carbon fiber trim - immaterial
Diff fascia’s - immaterial
Spoiler - $100 or so
Rear motor - probably the biggest cost difference I would guess
+adaptive suspension?
+brembo brake system?

Reactions: jose3030
So Lars has come out and said they can up the power on the LG Pack to the same level of the Panasonic through a software update if they want to. Wonder if this means a Ludicrous power up option is on the cards at some point.
I don't see why they'd limit the power in the first place or go out of their way to use the panasonic pack on the US cars if that were the case.

I can't find the data at the moment, but from what I recall, the LG packs made less power than the Panasonic packs despite pulling 100A more since the voltage sags considerably more

Reactions: milesr3
I don't see why they'd limit the power in the first place or go out of their way to use the panasonic pack on the US cars if that were the case.

I can't find the data at the moment, but from what I recall, the LG packs made less power than the Panasonic packs despite pulling 100A more since the voltage sags considerably more
They use the Panasonic pack in the US cars because it enables the use of the Federal Tax Credit as theses packs are manufactured in the US.

But only for the M3P and not the LR? Doesn't really make sense. It'd certainly simplify their assembly line to use the same battery for both.
Until 2023 they used the Panasonic battery for both the LR and the Performance in the US. My guess is cost and supply made them switch the LR away from the Panasonic battery.

However, the pricing on the LR without the tax credit makes no sense at all now.

They use the Panasonic pack in the US cars because it enables the use of the Federal Tax Credit as theses packs are manufactured in the US.
Can you post a link to Lars where he mentioned this? I’d like to order one in Canada but the 460hp is a huge turn off.
Until I see data or reviews of the LG vs Pano side by side performance 0-60, 60-100…etc, not convinced.

Reactions: Clivew and mpgxsvcd
Correct. The LG pack isn't capped (limited) like the Panasonic. It only makes 415kW at 100% SoC and 50C.

3L vs 5L 50C.png

You'll also see a 30kW/40hp difference between the Panasonic and LG at 50% SoC. Co-incidentally the difference between 500hp and 460hp.

Correct. The LG pack isn't capped (limited) like the Panasonic. It only makes 415kW at 100% SoC and 50C.

View attachment 1041930

You'll also see a 30kW/40hp difference between the Panasonic and LG at 50% SoC. Co-incidentally the difference between 500hp and 460hp.
Hmm, though interestingly both power limits are considerably above what Tesla claims the new M3P to be capable of. Seems to be roughly what would be needed to keep constant power from 20% onwards (especially if they raised the current limit on the Panasonic battery from the original release).

I guess that would indicate there is room for a ludicrous upgrade if they're willing to 'uncork' the top end.