Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, though interestingly both power limits are considerably above what Tesla claims the new M3P to be capable of.

I guess that would indicate there is room for a ludicrous upgrade if they're willing to 'uncork' the top end.
What Tesla is claiming is conservative* and both Panasonic and LG variants will already be uncorked - the previous M3Ps are. Jason Camissa's video confirmed that the '24 is now battery limited.

*I think they've been forced to provide a HP spec with the '24 M3P because the previous method of summing the peak motor power now exceeds the max battery discharge power, so they needed a different number. They didn't choose 415kw/557hp and 430kw/577hp. And of course they now sell the same car with two different battery packs at the same time. There will be a performance difference.

In the past, the '21/'22 M3P with the Panasonic battery was rated at 506hp based on sum of peak motor power and could achieve this in everyday driving with 70% SoC and above. There were no lawsuits! For various reasons I think they've simply reverted to this number for the Panasonic '24 M3P (rounded up/down to 510/500hp) and reduced it by a worst case 30kW/40hp for the LG.

Last edited:
Ludipeel.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Ludicrous badge on the back. Good to know it can be removed easily. :)

I live in Europe and as a matter of principle I will never buy this car as long as it being sold with way less hp for the same price as in the States. Like, what are we, the town's idiots? I don't want the trash version of the car, no thanks.
The truth is that the Horsepower number Tesla states is absurd anyway. A 4,050 lb car isn’t running 11.4s for the 1/4 mile with 430 HP which is what the EPA number was for the previous generation. The real number is closer to 535 HP to the wheels. I have seen 601 HP at the battery before.

The truth is that the Horsepower number Tesla states is absurd anyway. A 4,050 lb car isn’t running 11.4s for the 1/4 mile with 430 HP which is what the EPA number was for the previous generation. The real number is closer to 535 HP to the wheels. I have seen 601 HP at the battery before.

More than likely the lower power quote is there for regulatory reasons. I for one will be surprised if there is a performance difference.

So ultra red just effectively went up 7500 8500
edit: math

Sweet! The value of my launch day Ultra Red order/vehicle just went up by $8500!! ;)
I’m sure my excitement will turn into anguish in 10-12 months, when Tesla does one of their infamous/predictable price adjustments and drops the M3P price by $4000 below the launch day price. 🙄