Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said "Tesla claims 2.90"..... "I averaged 2.90 with a passenger and 88% SOC" ..... "So I'm going to call that verified". His point was that it absolutely can do what Tesla is claiming if not even better than that.

I also find it extremely interesting how he describes the launch of the new car. He says "I flat footed it and Holy Sh!t! You get a CRACK through the whole chassis because of how violently it engages those motors". He is describing something the old car definitely doesn't do. That "CRACK" part he is describing is "Jerk"(Rate of change of acceleration. The derivative of acceleration). That is definitely something the old car didn't have and something that will benefit the 60' time greatly.

Well now we have to discuss how many cracks the chassis can handle.

He said "Tesla claims 2.90"..... "I averaged 2.90 with a passenger and 88% SOC" ..... "So I'm going to call that verified". His point was that it absolutely can do what Tesla is claiming if not even better than that.

I also find it extremely interesting how he describes the launch of the new car. He says "I flat footed it and Holy Sh!t! You get a CRACK through the whole chassis because of how violently it engages those motors". He is describing something the old car definitely doesn't do. That "CRACK" part he is describing is "Jerk"(Rate of change of acceleration. The derivative of acceleration). That is definitely something the old car didn't have and something that will benefit the 60' time greatly.
This right here is easily worth .2 to 60, which tells me that there really isn't improved power through 60 Mph, its simply a stronger initial hit. The OG Performance was SOFT from a stop. So, it appears that Tesla has quickened the initial power ramp to get a marginally better 0-60, and after that is anyone's guess. My prediction is that it may or may not pull ever so slightly harder, but I do not see it running a number starting with a 10 or trapping anything over 120.

Reactions: cptnslo
The suspension bushes which are one of the first things to go on a Model 3 take most punishment during cornering and braking, not accelerating.
More stress might be put on the drivetrain but I expect there's overhead built into that especially after 5 years+ of the existing model being out there in the real world.

This right here is easily worth .2 to 60, which tells me that there really isn't improved power through 60 Mph, its simply a stronger initial hit. The OG Performance was SOFT from a stop. So, it appears that Tesla has quickened the initial power ramp to get a marginally better 0-60, and after that is anyone's guess. My prediction is that it may or may not pull ever so slightly harder, but I do not see it running a number starting with a 10 or trapping anything over 120.
Yes and No. I did a mockup from my Teslogic data of what the new Performance would look like using their +16% rear motor torque, +32% rear Peak HP, and +22% sustained rear HP specs. Each one of those specs defines a portion of the HP curve.

As you can see below from 40-60 mph there is very little change but still some. That is where peak power briefly occurred in the previous car and where that car really shined the most. The new car should hold a slightly higher peak power but it will do it from about 39 mph to over 92 mph. From 60-90 mph this car is going to feel completely different from the old car and that is exactly what Cammisa was sarcastically describing. "This Performance does not relent.... And then just doesn't stop f@cking pulling until....school zone speeds".

This is exactly what everyone asked for. Slightly better launch and slightly better max torque for 0-60 mph. Then a nice flat HP curve to just under 100 mph where it starts to fall off but it falls off from a higher value which still gives more power than the old one even at "Go to jail" speeds. This is not a 120 mph 1/4 mile car. This is a 125+ mph car.

Teslogic Dyno Prediction.jpg

Last edited:
The single most telling thing about the reviews so far is that absolutely none of them have said anything to the affect of "It just doesn't pull like I want it to up top". Camissa and Marques aren't always EV fanboys. Marques single handedly ended Fisker but they both seemed just fine if not ecstatic about the top end power of this EV. When car reviewers who haven't been sympathetic to EVs in the past suddenly give one a glowing review then I stand up and listen. This car is way better in real life than on paper is my take away from these reviews.

Please don't get caught up in these specs that Tesla is listing. Yes, the US car will be slightly quicker than the MIC car but it isn't going to be a 50 HP difference.
Well said overall man.👍🏽 Time will tell :)

I do wonder though If Camissa tested a euro/canada LG spec, would his reaction would have been similar. 🤷🏽‍♂️ ie. higher speed pull.

Happy to wait and see with real world tests. It’s easier to not think about it being a US buyer than outside paying the same or more for what ‘for now’ seems like less.

Anyway hoping you’re right in that the hp figures are arbitrary and have no day to day implications. Especially when it comes to a a future LUD update (if ever !)

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yes and No. I did a mockup from my Teslogic data of what the new Performance would look like using their +16% rear motor torque, +32% rear Peak HP, and +22% sustained rear HP specs. Each one of those specs defines a portion of the HP curve.

As you can see below from 40-60 mph there is very little change but still some. That is where peak power briefly occurred in the previous car and where that car really shined the most. The new car should hold a slightly higher peak power but it will do it from about 39 mph to over 92 mph. From 60-90 mph this car is going to feel completely different from the old car and that is exactly what Cammisa was sarcastically describing. "This Performance does not relent.... And then just doesn't stop f@cking pulling until....school zone speeds".

This is exactly what everyone asked for. Slightly better launch and slightly better max torque for 0-60 mph. Then a nice flat HP curve to just under 100 mph where it starts to fall off but it falls off from a higher value which still gives more power than the old one even at "Go to jail" speeds. This is not a 120 mph 1/4 mile car. This is a 125+ mph car.

View attachment 1043127
Should be in the 10’s then!

View attachment 1043127
I hope the above is true, but I find it very telling that tesla made a supposedly badass car and decided to ignore every acceleration metric except a moderate decrease in 0-60. If it was a 10.7 @ 125 car, I would think they'd capitalize on it.

Reactions: MarkoP
I have a theory that they havent advertised 1/4 mile times because there is a slight, but measurable difference between the US Pana spec and the LG spec. While the 0-60 could (and most likely would) be identical, its harder to make up for the hp differnece at 100+ mph. I have no idea what the supposed extra 50 peak hp could translate into, but lets say 2-3 tenths which could put the Pana just under 11s and the LG at or slightly above. To avoid dissatisfied LG customers Tesla havent relased any 1/4 times. I still think they would have been better off by being honest about what the hp difference means IRL though, even if it turns out to be close to nothing.

Reactions: Destiny1701