Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a theory that they havent advertised 1/4 mile times because there is a slight, but measurable difference between the US Pana spec and the LG spec. While the 0-60 could (and most likely would) be identical, its harder to make up for the hp differnece at 100+ mph. I have no idea what the supposed extra 50 peak hp could translate into, but lets say 2-3 tenths which could put the Pana just under 11s and the LG at or slightly above. To avoid dissatisfied LG customers Tesla havent relased any 1/4 times. I still think they would have been better off by being honest about what the hp difference means IRL though, even if it turns out to be close to nothing.
I only recall Tesla ever talking about1/4 miles times for one car, the Model S Plaid. Have there been any others that I missed or just don't remember?

I hope the above is true, but I find it very telling that tesla made a supposedly badass car and decided to ignore every acceleration metric except a moderate decrease in 0-60. If it was a 10.7 @ 125 car, I would think they'd capitalize on it.
They sold an insane amount of cars simply by saying it is a sub 3.0 second 0-60 mph car and it costs so little. They don’t need to make any other claims right now. They have all of the demand they can handle.

Making 1/4 mile claims with this car is difficult. I have seen cases where the max discharge value is 365 KW with 89% SOC. Max is 462 KW. That would be a 21% reduction in max potential power. That is a MASSIVE difference. The new car could be affected even more by the max discharge value.

IMG_4964.png

They sold an insane amount of cars simply by saying it is a sub 3.0 second 0-60 mph car and it costs so little. They don’t need to make any other claims right now. They have all of the demand they can handle.

Making 1/4 mile claims with this car is difficult. I have seen cases where the max discharge value is 365 KW with 89% SOC. Max is 462 KW. That would be a 21% reduction in max potential power. That is a MASSIVE difference. The new car could be affected even more by the max discharge value.

View attachment 1043178
Pretty

Especially here in the US, if you're eligible for the tax credit, the P would be cheaper than the LR I think, and the only feature the LR has over the P is range, unless I am missing something.

It doesnt really have range either. That (range) is pretty much wholly a product of the rims and tires (and how heavy someones foot is).

It doesnt really have range either. That (range) is pretty much wholly a product of the rims and tires (and how heavy someones foot is).
The new rear motor on the P may draw more power than the LR motor as a baseline, but I agree with your conclusion. I think the LR better went back to a 78 kWh battery too vs the P 82 kWh pack, which likely makes them neck and neck again on range.