Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. I have a 22’ LRboost now with the Pano 82kw battery, 568km/350 mile range. The acceleration on it is marginally slower than the PM3 upto 50mph but after this it’s almost neck and neck all the way up.

For me the new 24’ PM3 has to feel way faster than what I have 0-100 and 100-200. That’s what I’m paying for so if LG simply doesn’t give me the 100-200 (62-130) that I’m looking for…not worth the upgrade.

I find it unbelievably insulting to throw into the global LG mix when importing from US is closer, faster and cheaper.
I guarantee you, a LG 24' M3P will be faster in every way than a Boosted LR from any speed. It will feel faster, the 0-60 is more than 6 tenths faster the 1/4 mile is more than 6 tenths faster, it will trap 5mph~ faster, it's a different league. The US spec is just a touch faster again. It's all relative.

Then there is a the seats, the interior, the nvh, the suspension, the looks, the wheels, the brakes, track mode and I'm sure I have forgotten another dozen reasons. Ohh and it cheap everywhere in the world.

So it's objectively a significant upgrade, just depends on each individual whether it's worth it to them.

I guarantee you, a LG 24' M3P will be faster in every way than a Boosted LR from any speed. It will feel faster, the 0-60 is more than 6 tenths faster the 1/4 mile is more than 6 tenths faster, it will trap 5mph~ faster, it's a different league. The US spec is just a touch faster again. It's all relative.

Then there is a the seats, the interior, the nvh, the suspension, the looks, the wheels, the brakes, track mode and I'm sure I have forgotten another dozen reasons. Ohh and it cheap everywhere in the world.

So it's objectively a significant upgrade, just depends on each individual whether it's worth it to them.
Valid points indeed :) there is so much more which is why I initially ordered.

As for cheap it’s 70k cnd + $1800 pdi with $0 rebate. (Thats around 55k usd pre tax)
We also have the 13% tax rate and a 6%+ finance rates so it’s really 80k cash or a hell of a monthly payment!

Vs the LR at 61k ..less a 5k rebate.
Here the delta between the 2 cars is 14k pre tax. More like 16k incl tax. Or $11k usd delta…for an LG model.

Vs $46k usd (incl credit) and thus cheaper than the LR. …and Pano.

All this for a simple 1 hour away border to NY. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I gotta move south lol 😂

• Funny
Reactions: arkhos
Valid points indeed :) there is so much more which is why I initially ordered.

As for cheap it’s 70k cnd + $1800 pdi with $0 rebate. (Thats around 55k usd pre tax)
We also have the 13% tax rate and a 6%+ finance rates so it’s really 80k cash or a hell of a monthly payment!

Vs the LR at 61k ..less a 5k rebate.
Here the delta between the 2 cars is 14k pre tax. More like 16k incl tax. Or $11k usd delta…for an LG model.

Vs $46k usd (incl credit) and thus cheaper than the LR. …and Pano.

All this for a simple 1 hour away border to NY. 🤦🏽‍♂️ I gotta move south lol 😂
Yeh it depends on the market I guess.

I guess I meant cheap compared to other cars in it's class. It punches well above its weight class.

Here in Australia there is huge federal incentives to lease EV's. It makes a M3P about the same as a Audi S3. Makes it a no brainer really.

So it's objectively a significant upgrade, st depends on each individual whether it's worth it to them.
From the LR, yes. From the previous generation Panasonic m3p, not necessarily. From what I saw until now, the 24' m3p LG is slightly *slower* than the older 23' m3p panasonic, between 60-100mph. The 24' m3p LG is faster beyond 100mph (where it doesn't really matter apart from Germany).

For whatever reason, Panasonic just hasn't ramped up their battery production in Reno enough to keep up with the Model 3 and Model Y demand. They don't even have enough to put into the Model 3 LR, so it isn't eligible for the US tax credit. Whether the fault lies with Panasonic just not being able to produce enough or Tesla not making accurate projections, I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if Tesla was expecting most Model Y production to be using 4680s by now, but that obviously didn't happen. Since it typically takes more than a year to order, get delivered, installed, and production ramped up on batteries, they probably would have had to give Panasonic nearly 2 years notice.
Somehow they found enough Panasonic batteries for the M3P. I wonder what percent of M3 sales are now M3P, especially since it's now $2,000 less than the LR (with the tax credit)? Does this mean they are ramping up Panasonic production to eventually put them in the LR or does it mean they will have to tamp down sales of M3P to reduce demand on Pano batteries?

Somehow they found enough Panasonic batteries for the M3P. I wonder what percent of M3 sales are now M3P, especially since it's now $2,000 less than the LR (with the tax credit)? Does this mean they are ramping up Panasonic production to eventually put them in the LR or does it mean they will have to tamp down sales of M3P to reduce demand on Pano batteries?
I suspect most likely the issue is that they have a large enough mass of LG batteries in the US that it'll take some time to use up. I highly doubt they can't produce enough Panasonic batteries now that sales for both the 3 and Y have dropped tremendously.

I would expect the LR to transition to back to Panasonic batteries for MY2025. And for the RWD model, they might pull a similar strategy to the Y where they end up making an RWD LR.

I suspect most likely the issue is that they have a large enough mass of LG batteries in the US that it'll take some time to use up. I highly doubt they can't produce enough Panasonic batteries now that sales for both the 3 and Y have dropped tremendously.

I would expect the LR to transition to back to Panasonic batteries for MY2025. And for the RWD model, they might pull a similar strategy to the Y where they end up making an RWD LR.
Then the big question will be whether tax credit still exists in 2025 because it's DOA if a certain someone gets elected.

FSD transfer for 1 more quarter announced at the shareholder meeting! Just got my VIN today and I have a 18 I’d love to transfer over, obviously the advisors are going to know anything about this, anyone previously done this on their previous cars, know what the likeliness this will work on my current order possibly delivering in the next week?

I want to explain what I did here to compare the performance of the LG and Panasonic variants of the new M3P:

(the actual analysis is in the image attached below).

From YouTube, I took two different 0-180kph runs for the LG variant, and two different such runs for the Panasonic variant. So, overall I analyzed 4 runs, each of the 4 runs was done in a different country with a different car by a different tester.

I extracted the g-force produced by the car, using 10kph windows (so for 0-10, then for 10-20, then for 30-40, and so on). In order to normalize the different runs, I actually extracted the relative g-forces produced along each run, and then translated to absolute g-force numbers by accounting that both variants peak at 1g for the first ~2 seconds of the run (this was proven in several dragy measurements for both cars. All 4 runs did the 0-100kph in almost identical time, so they all should have reached the initial 1g peak).

When you look at the two LG runs, you can see that their curves cluster together , and the same for the two Panasonic runs. So I think the g-force extraction was done with decent enough accuracy.

You can see that both variants of the car start to roll off at about the same speed (after 70kph), but the LG rolls off at a much steeper way. There is about a 15-25% g-force advantage for the Panasonic, in any speed above 80kph (50mph). This is substantial.

These are the 4 runs I used as source:
LG:

Pana:

Attachments

• m3p pana vs lg.JPG
    m3p pana vs lg.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
…and keeping that tax credit will be the least of our concerns if he doesn
FSD transfer for 1 more quarter announced at the shareholder meeting! Just got my VIN today and I have a 18 I’d love to transfer over, obviously the advisors are going to know anything about this, anyone previously done this on their previous cars, know what the likeliness this will work on my current order possibly delivering in the next week?
And you will be able to get the tax credit since you won't have to buy FSD at the time of purchase. Win/win.

LOL. Wrong in so many ways, but probably best to keep the politics out of a car discussion. :)
Not being able to discuss politics is exactly how we got into this mess where nobody knows anything about politics that isn’t spoon fed to them by their echo chamber of choice.

But sure, I won’t drag us further down that path, we’re all going to get to see how this plays out.