Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance was $10K more than AWD back when it came out, and for the first few years, which would be more like $13K today after inflation.

This is a pretty tortured example unless we are only talking about 0-60 as the metric, especially since the Plaid already costs less than the E-Ray, so who cross-shops like that?
E-Ray weighs about the same as the Model 3 and it does 10.4 in the 1/4 mile. If the new Model 3 Performance can match those specs it would be pretty great for about $60k.

Reactions: CCopperpot
I “speculate“ that they will opt to offer the performance “boost” paid software upgrade vs a new line to have a back end revenue stream.
My speculation is that the new suspension prohibits speeds higher than 125 mph. Tesla doesn’t want to put a spotlight on the Performance of the Model 3 LR so you won’t see any performance upgrades for that model at all.

My speculation is that the new suspension prohibits speeds higher than 125 mph. Tesla doesn’t want to put a spotlight on the Performance of the Model 3 LR so you won’t see any performance upgrades for that model at all.

Thats an interesting theory. The new frequency dampers may have a limit...does that mean the Performance version won't have those dampers?

I guess if the new Performance has those dampers and can go past 125mph, other things may be at play. Honestly, my car is a 2019 M3P and quite loud without ventilated seats. If the new one isn't that much faster but its quieter, its a big win for me 😁

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Thats an interesting theory. The new frequency dampers may have a limit...does that mean the Performance version won't have those dampers?

I guess if the new Performance has those dampers and can go past 125mph, other things may be at play. Honestly, my car is a 2019 M3P and quite loud without ventilated seats. If the new one isn't that much faster but its quieter, its a big win for me 😁
My speculation is that the Model 3 Performance will have a different suspension setup but it won’t be air suspension.

We’ll see. I am discouraged by the fact that the battery and motors for the non P models are exactly the same as before.

Throwing a permanent magnet up front would probably be the cheapest way to improve the performance (effectively giving it similar powertrain to the MSLR)
Unless you use slip rings like BMW and active electrical excitation (which is not a permanent magnet motor), this could cost efficiency as it costs some energy to keep rotating. You need at least one motor to be able to be disconnected with low drag and an induction motor is simplest solution here for one axle.

Does the new MSLR have two permanent magnet motors?

My speculation is that the new suspension prohibits speeds higher than 125 mph.
Speed limits on cars are almost always due to the stock tires put on the car. "U" rated tires are 200 km/h which is 125 MPH. There's good reasons to use tires with lower speed limits as they can be more compliant (which generates heat) and can have deeper tread blocks. So a very good chance Tesla is just putting new tires on these cars that trade lower cost of ownership and ride quality over peak performance.

Tons of cars have 118 MPH limiters because "T" tires have that limit, not because the chassis resonates and departs the earth at 119 MPH.

Same reason the Plaid has a "200 MPH top speed" yet is limtied to 163 MPH unless you buy a different set of $20K tires direct from Tesla with a 200 MPH speed rating (which they took almost 2 years to ship after advertising a 200 MPH speed was possible, and then realized was dangerous and forced you to buy ceramic brakes along with, none of which was disclosed when you bought the car). Of course, 163 MPH juuuuust let you do a 1/4 mile without limit, allowing Tesla to focus on the numbers their customers really care about.

Remember that the M3P shipped with a 155MPH limit that was eventually raised to 162.

My speculation is that the Model 3 Performance will have a different suspension setup but it won’t be air suspension.
It better not have air suspension if it's suposed to compete with any actual performance car that is expected to go around corners.

Last edited:
A MSLR weighs 10%+ more than a M3P, yet it has a tenth quicker 0-60 rating, and supposedly keeps pulling above 45 MPH better than a Model 3. If it has the same rear motor, does all the extra power come from the front Axle?
Doesn’t the MSLR not meet it’s 0-60 numbers? I think I’ve seen that the MSLR doesn’t really beat a 3.2 or 3.3 in the real world.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Doesn’t the MSLR not meet it’s 0-60 numbers? I think I’ve seen that the MSLR doesn’t really beat a 3.2 or 3.3 in the real world.

That advertised time includes rollout, typically 0.2 to 0.25 secs, and in a controlled environment aka the drag strip. hence why you'll hardly ever get that in the "real world", unless you're on a down slope and you have a hurricane chasing you.

A MSLR weighs 10%+ more than a M3P, yet it has a tenth quicker 0-60 rating, and supposedly keeps pulling above 45 MPH better than a Model 3. If it has the same rear motor, does all the extra power come from the front Axle?
That’s my assumption, but I don’t have enough data to say. They are probably pumping a bit more power in the rear. EPA docs say front and rear both make 247kW on the S, though the front is geared longer

Whatever the numbers/specs say, the MSLR is MUCH MUCH faster than the 3P at anything over about 30 mph. 0-30 the 3P may be as quick or quicker, but beyond that, there’s no comparison.

Remember that despite a possibly slower launch, the MSLR is going 10-15 mph faster than the 3P at the 1/4 mile mark and it gets there at least 0.6 seconds quicker (!!!)

• Informative
Reactions: P-Lo801 and EXOTIC1
Which “hype”?
Daniel Ho, director of vehicle programs at Tesla, not only told media the range-topping Model 3 Performance would be making a return in the first half of 2024, but it would also be “pretty special”.

Reactions: MarkoP and mpgxsvcd
funny i was just testing this today...my model x feels like it pulls harder than my performance 3 between 50-80mph.
Pretty sure it isn’t just feel, it’s actually true. I just don’t know what the power curve for each individual motor looks like.

Logic says it’s probably the front motor that’s making up the difference since the rear is the same as the M3P’s motor and should have a similar taper theoretically. But I haven’t seen any actual dynos of the LR Palladium cars, let alone a front/rear breakdown

Speed limits on cars are almost always due to the stock tires put on the car. "U" rated tires are 200 km/h which is 125 MPH. There's good reasons to use tires with lower speed limits as they can be more compliant (which generates heat) and can have deeper tread blocks. So a very good chance Tesla is just putting new tires on these cars that trade lower cost of ownership and ride quality over peak performance.

Tons of cars have 118 MPH limiters because "T" tires have that limit, not because the chassis resonates and departs the earth at 119 MPH.

Same reason the Plaid has a "200 MPH top speed" yet is limtied to 163 MPH unless you buy a different set of $20K tires direct from Tesla with a 200 MPH speed rating (which they took almost 2 years to ship after advertising a 200 MPH speed was possible, and then realized was dangerous and forced you to buy ceramic brakes along with, none of which was disclosed when you bought the car). Of course, 163 MPH juuuuust let you do a 1/4 mile without limit, allowing Tesla to focus on the numbers their customers really care about.

Remember that the M3P shipped with a 155MPH limit that was eventually raised to 162.

It better not have air suspension if it's suposed to compete with any actual performance car that is expected to go around corners.
I agree that typically the tires are the limiting factor. However, that isn’t the case here. None of the tires that they are using or even could use are rated for less than 149 mph. I went through every single tire and checked the speed rating for each of them. None are under 149 mph.

None of the tires are “U”(124 mph) rated or even “H”(130 mph) rated for that matter. All of them are “V”(149 mph) rated and above.

• Informative
Reactions: MrSlowEv