Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche has reported a couple of days ago that their upcoming new Taycan has pushed the Nürburgring time down to 7:07,55. That should put the ball back into Tesla's court. More information on this and the new version - likely called Taycan Turbo GT - will be published in March.

I'd like to see that powertrain in an ID.Buzz to take kids to soccer practice.

It really would be disappointing if the Highland Model 3 Performance is just the same as a 2023 Model 3 Performance with the Highland upgrades.
That's why it's taking so long ;) /s

I just hope they don't release it half baked under pressure like the Plaid. They should have kept the production line rolling out old ones until the new one is ready, lesson learned from the Plaid.

With the announcement of a Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous possibly being imminent could everyone post their final predictions? Here are my guesses.

1. It will still be called the Model 3 Performance but it will have a Ludicrous Mode.
2. Tesla will finally publicly announce a Horsepower rating for the Model 3 Performance. It will be 660 HP.
3. 0-60 mph with 1 foot rollout subtracted in 2.6 seconds. 1/4 mile in 10.6 seconds @ 129 mph.
4. Staggered 20" wheels(20x9.0 Front with 235/35/20 tires and 20x10.0 Rear with 275/30/20 tires).
5. Upgraded suspension with a much firmer ride than the Highland Model 3. No air suspension but the car will be slightly lower.
6. Slightly bigger battery(~85-90 kWh). This will allow them to still claim about 300 miles of EPA range.
7. Weight will be between 4,100-4,200 LBs.
8. Price will be under $60K in the US. Leases will still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit regardless of income or price.

Last edited:
I like your predictions. The only prediction I would change is it will be priced at $55k or lower and come with 19" standard wheels and interior. They will give you an option, lets call it sports package for the sake of discussion, which will upgrade the wheels to 20", bucket seats, and maybe some other goodies. This way they will still be able to take advantage of the federal tax credit.

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
With the announcement of a Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous possibly being imminent could everyone post their final predictions? Here are my guesses.

1. It will still be called the Model 3 Performance but it will have a Ludicrous Mode.
2. Tesla will finally publicly announce a Horsepower rating for the Model 3 Performance. It will be 660 HP.
3. 0-60 mph with 1 foot rollout subtracted in 2.6 seconds. 1/4 mile in 10.6 seconds @ 129 mph.
4. Staggered 20" wheels(20x9.0 Front with 235/35/20 tires and 20x10.0 Rear with 275/30/20 tires).
5. Upgraded suspension with a much firmer ride than the Highland Model 3. No air suspension but the car will be slightly lower.
6. Slightly bigger battery(~85-90 kWh). This will allow them to still claim about 300 miles of EPA range.
8. Price will be under $60K in the US. Leases will still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit regardless of income or price.

I hope they have a wheel package with staggering as an option. Much rather wear the 19s and be a bit cheaper. Other than that, I like your predictions. :)

I'll take it. I just wish they released some interesting colors. Another grey and red?! Why lol.

• Funny
How many of you would buy a Model S if the Model 3 Performance is disappointing or got cancelled all together? Just trying gauge what portion of Model S buyers a Model 3 Ludicrous could steal in this thread.

I wouldn’t ever buy a Model S simply because I don’t want a sedan that big. I want all of the performance in a smaller vehicle like the Model 3.

1. Announcement or first deliveries this Sunday for base model
  2. Performance version coming later with a price increase
  3. Model Y upgrade coming end of year
  4. Performance of long range drops to 4.4 secs for 0-60
  5. Base using Chinese made batteries
Is the drop in performance for long range, so they can squeeze more money out of acceleration add-on?

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tiger and mpgxsvcd
IMG_5071.png

I found this in the demo drive section…

1. Announcement or first deliveries this Sunday for base model
  2. Performance version coming later with a price increase
  3. Model Y upgrade coming end of year
  4. Performance of long range drops to 4.4 secs for 0-60
  5. Base using Chinese made batteries
Is the drop in performance for long range, so they can squeeze more money out of acceleration add-on?

I hope they are using LFP with higher density for the long range. That would be welcome news.

How many of you would buy a Model S if the Model 3 Performance is disappointing or got cancelled all together? Just trying gauge what portion of Model S buyers a Model 3 Ludicrous could steal in this thread.

I wouldn’t ever buy a Model S simply because I don’t want a sedan that big. I want all of the performance in a smaller vehicle like the Model 3.
My next car is likely to be either a lightly used Plaid or a new 3P.

I generally also prefer a smaller sedan, but 1020 HP might be enough to sway me…😈

Reactions: pts260 and mpgxsvcd

I’m with you. Can buy a MS Plaid today if I wanted to, but don’t ever want a sedan that large. Just not that fun to drive around IMO and it’s certainly not as nimble. Besides, I simply don’t find the styling on the MS very appealing. IMO, it is a very outdated design. As we all know, Tesla has not really made any significant design/body changes to the S since it was officially launched in 2012. IMO, it is in bad need of a major design/style refresh. Just my opinion of course. Obviously, there are many who still like the MS styling.

Give me a Model 3 Ludicrous or Plaid with similar performance numbers as the MS Plaid and I will pay whatever price Tesla wants to charge for it... even if it is at the same price point as the current MS Plaid. Yeah, I’m that crazy!!! 🤪

How many of you guys deriding the S handling have actually driven one of the refresh models? I was fully expecting mine to feel like a boat, but it’s surprisingly good. It’s hard to overstate how much better the dampers are. I’m sure the model 3 will keep its grip longer, ultimately hard to get past the weight. But in terms of actual driving feel and confidence inspiring handling, I find the S is surprisingly good. Far less body roll too (granted there is very little relation between roll and grip)

A model 3 that had S-quality or better suspension, Plaid motors, and a nicer interior would probably be my ideal Tesla, but that’s not something the company is interested in making