Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A MSLR weighs 10%+ more than a M3P, yet it has a tenth quicker 0-60 rating, and supposedly keeps pulling above 45 MPH better than a Model 3. If it has the same rear motor, does all the extra power come from the front Axle?
Model S LR doesn’t actually live up to its 0-60 mph claims. I know it says 3.1 and “without rollout subtracted” is implied for that car but that isn’t what happens in reality.

Only 1 person got a facelift Model S LR into the 3.1s without subtracting rollout and that was barely(3.18) into the 3.1s. In reality it is a 3.2s car just the same as the Model 3 Performance.

Model S LR doesn’t actually live up to its 0-60 mph claims. I know it says 3.1 and “without rollout subtracted” is implied for that car but that isn’t what happens in reality.

Only 1 person got a facelift Model S LR into the 3.1s without subtracting rollout and that was barely(3.18) into the 3.1s. In reality it is a 3.2s car just the same as the Model 3 Performance.
But it's way quicker after 45.

But it's way quicker after 45.
Here is a comparison of the ten mile increments for what I believe to be a stock Model S LR and what I know was a 100% stock Model 3 Performance.

The Model S LR doesn’t start pulling on the Model 3 Performance until about 50 mph. Model S wins hands down after that.

IMG_1132.png
IMG_1133.png

Reactions: uscbucsfan
I agree that typically the tires are the limiting factor. However, that isn’t the case here. None of the tires that they are using or even could use are rated for less than 149 mph. I went through every single tire and checked the speed rating for each of them. None are under 149 mph.
Tesla has released the specs on every tire for the highland cars?

Even if current highland cars don't have U tires- maybe they do in China or the EU and they want one common speed limit. Maybe they want to in the future. Maybe they learned in the pandemic that supply chains are fragile and they don't want to have to reduce top speed in the future and end up with a news cycle over something pointless like this and people asking why it changed and having to give USS-like disclosures on a lower top speed than advertised.

Maybe they will sell an accleration boost for $5K that also unlocks top speed and makes it feel emotionally more worth it.

Maybe they will sell a sport pack tire pack that unlocks speed.

Maybe they want the performance cars to have even more on the base car than just acceleration.

Maybe the lower aero drag means the car gets unsatble at higher speeds.

All of these are as possible as the idea that the new suspension somehow becomes unstable at a specific speed.

Tesla has released the specs on every tire for the highland cars?

Even if current highland cars don't have U tires- maybe they do in China or the EU and they want one common speed limit. Maybe they want to in the future. Maybe they learned in the pandemic that supply chains are fragile and they don't want to have to reduce top speed in the future and end up with a news cycle over something pointless like this and people asking why it changed and having to give USS-like disclosures on a lower top speed than advertised.

Maybe they will sell an accleration boost for $5K that also unlocks top speed and makes it feel emotionally more worth it.

Maybe they will sell a sport pack tire pack that unlocks speed.

Maybe they want the performance cars to have even more on the base car than just acceleration.

Maybe the lower aero drag means the car gets unsatble at higher speeds.

All of these are as possible as the idea that the new suspension somehow becomes unstable at a specific speed.
Maybe they looked at their data and realized that an insignificant number of people ever exceed 125 mph with the RWD and LR cars so they just capped it at 125 mph? They know that if they just blame the tires everyone will believe that.

It isn’t the tires.

Who needs to go 200km/hr (125) ?
Maybe on the autobahn but that’s about it.
Seems like a moot point for 99.99% of daily drivers.

I’m curious what the Perf top end will look like for track. For other trims, shouldn’t matter.

I’m liking the fact that highland’s interior now has ventilated seats, better cushioning , strip lighting, stalkless auto shift, nicer sounding stereo (currently amazing at it is for LR/P) revised centre console, dual pane glass all over/quieter db, better suspension, larger screen footprint (less black bezel).

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
i just want the 60-120 to be close to as fast as the 0-60. i went back and tested my 3 and x again today, and the x definitely pulls harder between 60-80mph. p3 needs to be faster at higher speeds and not lose performance/power below 70% battery... if those 2 things happened, then it would be close to the the perfect daily driver.

Guys there is a reason M3 is slower top end. Simple.

You get what you DONT pay for.

SX owners receive more benefits to their cars all around and they pay for it.

If Tesla provided the same level of power and range at a price point around 50-60% of the premium cars…well…you get the point. Premium is premium for a reason.

I’d love my LR3 boost to have a second screen, better suspension and more power. I guess I should have spung for the S! Not teslas fault.

If Tesla provided the same level of power and range at a price point around 50-60% of the premium cars…well…you get the point. Premium is premium for a reason.

I’d love my LR3 boost to have a second screen, better suspension and more power. I guess I should have spung for the S! Not teslas fault.
what if you want all that but just in a smaller form factor that's not a roadster?

The Model 3 already had a 140 mph top speed and now is de-tuned to 125mph. This isn't about how much we pay but how it impacts range or cost. We just don't know the reason yet but something was changed in this new version to lower the top end speed. Doesn't matter if the Model X is more expensive than a Model 3...a M3P would smoke an X through most tracks.

The Model 3 already had a 140 mph top speed and now is de-tuned to 125mph. This isn't about how much we pay but how it impacts range or cost. We just don't know the reason yet but something was changed in this new version to lower the top end speed. Doesn't matter if the Model X is more expensive than a Model 3...a M3P would smoke an X through most tracks.
But not in the 1/4 mile.

Reactions: Yelobird
Conversely people paid 8-10knmore for a model 3 in 2022 than today. One could argue again people today are getting what they are paying for ‘today’.

At some point tesla will offer what they can at the profit level they can achieve per vehicle.‘if this erodes, features follow suit.

Not saying I like what they did, but can one complain paying far less than a buyer did a year ago?

Oh ya agreed…a 3P would smoke an X any day handling wise. Not the same category.