Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that half the people are saying nobody drives an LR anywhere near 125 MPH, and then others think we're about to get some "impressions" of what it's like to drive the car hard against the limiter for long enough to have an opinion on why 130 would be a problem..
I mean there are owners of this car with autobahn access…

And on the right road at the right time I can certainly sustain 125 long enough to form some thoughts on how the car feels.

Reactions: TimTam
Exactly! No one will drive fast enough to give you these impressions lol. Let me know when you get them.

Also Can anyone explain why the model S LR speed was reduced to 130? That is literally the exact same car, same suspension, everything.
I probably shouldn’t say this in public, but there are roads that are damned near abandoned, which when freshly repaved might give a person opinions about high speed handling of the M3LR (boosted, but doesn’t matter at high speed). Montana used to have nickel tickets in recognition of this phenomenon.

If a person had such an opinion, it might be along the lines of “feels a little floaty above 135”.

Anyways, even on most short course tracks, I wonder how often people are doing 145+ sustained.

Reactions: terranx
Is it possible that there is no new Model 3 Performance yet because they are waiting on a new battery from Panasonic?

Anything is certainly possible.

Maybe they need to clear out a ton of older 3Perf before they intro a new model and have to heavily discount the old one?

Tesla has released the specs on every tire for the highland cars?

Even if current highland cars don't have U tires- maybe they do in China or the EU and they want one common speed limit. Maybe they want to in the future. Maybe they learned in the pandemic that supply chains are fragile and they don't want to have to reduce top speed in the future and end up with a news cycle over something pointless like this and people asking why it changed and having to give USS-like disclosures on a lower top speed than advertised.

Maybe they will sell an accleration boost for $5K that also unlocks top speed and makes it feel emotionally more worth it.

Maybe they will sell a sport pack tire pack that unlocks speed.

Maybe they want the performance cars to have even more on the base car than just acceleration.

Maybe the lower aero drag means the car gets unsatble at higher speeds.

All of these are as possible as the idea that the new suspension somehow becomes unstable at a specific speed.

Agreed. I don't see how the suspension can limit it to 125. It must have really shitty suspension then.

Reactions: momo3605
Maybe they need to clear out a ton of older 3Perf before they intro a new model and have to heavily discount the old one?
Exept if you go to Tesla.com, all they show you is the RWD and AWD cars, and they don't point you to the inventory section at all like they used to.
When you do find the inventory section, in the Seattle area there is one new M3P availible. In the bay area, there are 4 and every one was a "demo vehicle."

The reality is that today, you can't really buy a new "Performance" Model 3 from Tesla, highland or not, so this is not why they are delaying.

Also, Highland has been out in other countries for months now, and they are out of performance cars in those countries too.

The reason to be excited about this is that this makes it more logical to speculate that the car will be much more different from the base cars than the original cars were, since they are using the same batteries and motors in highland, so a Highland M3P that was the same as current M3P would only need brakes, and it's hard to believe they wouldn't have rolled that out with everything else.

Anything is certainly possible.

Right now there are a total of 140 new 2023 Model 3s for sale in the US. Only 12 of those are Model 3 Performance cars and most of those are in California, Tennessee, and NC.
By the end of the week there probably won’t be any new Model 3 Performance cars for sale in the US.
IMG_1401.jpeg

I seriously doubt that will happen. I believe the limitation is mechanical.
It’s not mechanical. Why do people keep saying that??

There are no mechanical changes to the model S, and they lowered the speed. Obviously it’s the same thing here. It’s just a minor change for safety as they don’t have to compete on speed with more expensive German brands anymore

so this is not why they are delaying
Hence the /maybe/
Right now there are a total of 140 new 2023 Model 3s for sale in the US. Only 12 of those are Model 3 Performance cars and most of those are in California, Tennessee, and NC.
By the end of the week there probably won’t be any new Model 3 Performance cars for sale in the US.
View attachment 1009130
so a comment with a maybe is met with speculation on sales?

K. 😂

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher