Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, @klwtts (X) just spotted a new prototype allowing the public a first glimpse at the new front end. So I can finally share the renders that have been sitting on my desktop for the last couple of weeks. Here is what the front end of the upcoming Model 3 Ludicrous will look like featuring a more aggressive bumper design, a sporty front splitter and perforated bucket seats.

Model3Ludicrous-Red-Scene2.jpg

So, @klwtts (X) just spotted a new prototype allowing the public a first glimpse at the new front end. So I can finally share the renders that have been sitting on my desktop for the last couple of weeks. Here is what the front end of the upcoming Model 3 Ludicrous will look like featuring a more aggressive bumper design, a sporty front splitter and perforated bucket seats.

View attachment 1011162
Cool - what about the rear?

View attachment 1011162
I would 100% buy that. I really like the new seats.

No, I do not.

The M3P do not have any mode to heat the battery except for charging at Superchargers.
Yes, you can use ”navigate to SuC” to warm the battery if you live close enough.

But you need to be in the car, in drive and navigating to the SuC to get it to warm. Driving in the wrong direction stops the battery heating.

So, being at the local racing track you can not get it race ready like the Plaid.

I think even the precondition you can activate with the S3XY buttons is not happening when being in drive (I have the SEXY buttons to make turn signal acceptable on the yoke. Havent tested the battery heat funktion in SEXY buttons as the Plaid has the dragstrip mode.

My 2021 M3P preheated the battery to 48C for SuC v3 (250kW) and 38-40C for SuC v2.

I did drive 66K km with scan my tesladata readable from the driving position..

I have seen this at every supercharging session. It was also logged with Teslalogger. (Here, arriving at a v3 SuC)
View attachment 1011013

@eivissa has done a lot of logging and also many vvery good presentation of the data.
From memory, this is the Panasonic 2170L (82.1kWh batt) and delivered power vs temp and SOC.

There is a similar graph for the LG M-50 Tesla use in Europe (also from recent in model 3 LR in US). It is evident that the LG (which is a NMC battery) can not deliver the same power and only meets the spec at high SOC + warm battery.

We can also see that we need the battery to be warmer the lower the SOC is to keep the power. The setup on the picture could be set to deliver ~300kW and then keep it down to ~ 20% SOC.

View attachment 1011023

You can not get the battery to 52.3C without actually first navigate to a suc v3 and then charge for a while. Battery heating and charging losses heats the battery to 57-58C if charged long enough.
This is not often easy to fix at the race track.
I know the battery get warm from racing but then the SOC also goes down, so a battery heating like the Pkaid would ne easy accomplished and very helpful for a M3P.

We probably shouldn’t talk about how much the cells need to be heated, and instead talk sbout the cell temp targets the plaid use.
My battery was about -20C earlier today when I backed the car into the garage.

A plaid mode/ dragstrip mode target of 44C would mean it would be heated by 64C wich is like 150F heating.
I posted the dragstrip mode cell temps earlier, 33C at higher SOC and 42-44 at ~40% SOC or so.
The lower the SOC, the higher the cell temp need to be to meet the target.

I have not seen any motor cooling in dragstrip mode, but I will check that later.

Because you probably only tested at higher SOC.

So the same test at 20% or so, try with a battery that is at about 0C.
At 0C it would be *not fast* but with dragstrip preheated temps its almost like it should be :)
Maybe European Model 3s operate differently than the US ones? However, you absolutely can get the Model 3 Performance up to optimal temperatures without supercharging. You don't have to be pointed in the direction of the Supercharger either. That is just nonsense. You can be in park or drive to heat the battery but yes you do have to be in the driver's seat.

You get so many things wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin.

Maybe European Model 3s operate differently than the US ones? However, you absolutely can get the Model 3 Performance up to optimal temperatures without supercharging. You don't have to be pointed in the direction of the Supercharger either. That is just nonsense. You can be in park or drive to heat the battery but yes you do have to be in the driver's seat.

You get so many things wrong in this post I don't even know where to begin.
I have used the ”navigate to supercharger”to heat the battery several times, the nearest SuC is 55km from my town. Driving towards to old airfiels often used as a sports car place whick is in the otjer direction has stopped the battery hesting every and each of the times I’ve done this.
As I had the tablet with all values visible it was very evident that there was no real heat coming from the motors and stopping showed 0kW electrical power to the motors. So it is not nonsence.

I also did like to use it at another place (another town) a couple if times with the nearest SuC about 100km away, which did not avtivate the battery heating at all due to the distance, independent of driving direction.

Both points above show that there clearly is a need for a active battery warming in command if Tesla is to call it a ”Plaid”.
Having a ”Plaid” with a cold battery not performing as per definition would be a joke.

I can kit really see whats the point in arguing about the idea to have an selectable setting to arm active heating of the battery. If you do not like that function, just do not use it :)

The M3P do not have any mode to heat the battery except for charging at Superchargers.
Yes, you can use ”navigate to SuC” to warm the battery if you live close enough.

[...]

I think even the precondition you can activate with the S3XY buttons is not happening when being in drive (I have the SEXY buttons to make turn signal acceptable on the yoke. Havent tested the battery heat funktion in SEXY buttons as the Plaid has the dragstrip mode.
I've used the buttons to heat up the battery for non-Tesla superchargers. And yes ... it actually heated up the battery.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

View attachment 1011162
Everyone that thinks CYBRTRK420 is actually someone that knows how this car looks AND performs hit that like button!

I`m pretty sure we will see this turn out to be like the rear end rendering 420 came up with that looked spot on! Lets hope at least, this looks great.

That's correct. I believe Tesla mistakenly thought they could set the ride height and front bumper clearance of the Performance model to be similar to BMW and other contemporaries, but unfortunately the long wheelbase makes the Model 3 high-center on everything everywhere.

All at once.

So yeah, the Highland Performance model will still need to have the same ride height as any old Hertz rental, unless it's adjustable.

That's correct. I believe Tesla mistakenly thought they could set the ride height and front bumper clearance of the Performance model to be similar to BMW and other contemporaries, but unfortunately the long wheelbase makes the Model 3 high-center on everything everywhere.

All at once.

So yeah, the Highland Performance model will still need to have the same ride height as any old Hertz rental, unless it's adjustable.
My Model 3 is lower than the original M3P, and I think I have scraped the bottom once in 5 years.