Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more spotted photos from Reddit
IMG_0482.jpeg
IMG_0483.jpeg
IMG_0484.jpeg
IMG_0485.jpeg

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
1. I hope they call it Plaid and create a sub-brand of sorts.

2. Loving the way it’s looking so far.

3. I’ve driven the S and I just drove a 3 Highland. I actually prefer the stalkless design. The steering wheel buttons are great. Much sleeker and after 30 mins they become second nature. Touchscreen shifter similarly fine.

4. I love the Model S and I hope this new performance car drives similarly. The base RWD 3 Highland (all they had to drive) is a remarkable improvement in refinement but not super sporty.

So, @klwtts (X) just spotted a new prototype allowing the public a first glimpse at the new front end. So I can finally share the renders that have been sitting on my desktop for the last couple of weeks. Here is what the front end of the upcoming Model 3 Ludicrous will look like featuring a more aggressive bumper design, a sporty front splitter and perforated bucket seats.

View attachment 1011162

Awesome rendering. Any word on the interior other than the seats? I’m curious to know if they replace the cloth on the dashboard with something more premium.

Reactions: cptnslo
These "legacy" automakers man... LOOK WE IMPROVED OUR CAR, IT'S ALMOST AS FAST AS THE PLAID, YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 250k. I mean, if you got too much money and you don`t have any use for it, sure, you can pay 150k over the Plaid to have nicer interior materials, if it's that important.
I mean once you get near and past the $100k mark, yes people absolutely do care about material and build quality as well as brand cachet.

These "legacy" automakers man... LOOK WE IMPROVED OUR CAR, IT'S ALMOST AS FAST AS THE PLAID, YOU CAN HAVE IT FOR 250k. I mean, if you got too much money and you don`t have any use for it, sure, you can pay 150k over the Plaid to have nicer interior materials, if it's that important.
What are you on about lol, the Taycan already kills the Plaid in anything but a straight line… just wait for the Taycan Turbo GT in March to take that crown too.

The battery and handling tech in these Porsches is just next level. Don’t even get me started on the 400v vs 800v when it comes to performance.

The base model starts at $101,395, does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and there's no range estimate for it. A base Model S Plaid starts at $89,990, does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds without rollout, and has an EPA range estimate of 359 miles. So the Model S is $11k less for substantially better performance and more standard features by far.

Or you could step up a notch to the Taycan 4S for $120,495 that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Add in 21" summer wheels and tires for another $4,680, ventilated front seats for $850, power seats with memory for $1,510, Torque vectoring Plus for $1,500, Active ride for $7,140, ceramic composite brakes for $9,980, active cruise control and lane keeping with the required sport chrono for $4,050, ionizer for $460, and Burmester sound system for $7,000, for a total of $157,665. This will get you a Taycan fairly comparably equipped to a Model S Plaid with Track Package that would cost $109,990. Of course, it will still be much slower pretty much everywhere due to substantially less power and less grip from regular summer tires versus 'R' type tires.

Even the top of the line Taycan Turbo S would require a number of options to be comparably equipped to a Model S with Plaid Package. The price starts at $210,995, but then you have to add in Performance summer tires for $630, ventilated front seats for $850, active ride for $7,140, ceramic composite brakes for $900, ACC and lane keeping for $2,750, ionizer for $460, and Burmester sound system for $5,810, which brings the total to $229,535. My expectation is that a Model S Plaid with Track Package would still be faster than this car around a track or at the dragstrip, but you're paying more than twice as much for it.

How much more for a Taycan Turbo GT that can actually beat the Model S Plaid with Track Package? My guess is $40k, call it $270k total, give or take a few thousand. Of course, that's if they even offer the GT package/variant in the U.S.

From everything I've been hearing about the new Taycan, it sounds impressive, but it obviously comes at a price.

Last edited:
Porsche has never been, and will never will be, about value.

Tesla unquestionably is the leader in speed per dollar value, there is no contesting that. If acceleration is all what buyer cares about then get a Plaid.

But I would consider “performance” more than just straight line speed, but the whole package including suspension and handling. Tesla still trails the Germans in suspension tuning and driving dynamics.

Porsche is known for combining high performance with luxury and extreme attention to detail in build quality and materials, all priced in a way to maintain status/exclusivity.

The base model starts at $101,395, does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, and there's no range estimate for it. A base Model S Plaid starts at $89,990, does 0-60 in 2.2 seconds without rollout, and has an EPA range estimate of 359 miles. So the Model S is $11k less for substantially better performance and more standard features by far.

Or you could step up a notch to the Taycan 4S for $120,495 that does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. Add in 21" summer wheels and tires for another $4,680, ventilated front seats for $850, power seats with memory for $1,510, Torque vectoring Plus for $1,500, Active ride for $7,140, ceramic composite brakes for $9,980, active cruise control and lane keeping with the required sport chrono for $4,050, ionizer for $460, and Burmester sound system for $7,000, for a total of $157,665. This will get you a Taycan fairly comparably equipped to a Model S Plaid with Track Package that would cost $109,990. Of course, it will still be much slower pretty much everywhere due to substantially less power and less grip from regular summer tires versus 'R' type tires.

Even the top of the line Taycan Turbo S would require a number of options to be comparably equipped to a Model S with Plaid Package. The price starts at $210,995, but then you have to add in Performance summer tires for $630, ventilated front seats for $850, active ride for $7,140, ceramic composite brakes for $900, ACC and lane keeping for $2,750, ionizer for $460, and Burmester sound system for $5,810, which brings the total to $229,535. My expectation is that a Model S Plaid with Track Package would still be faster than this car around a track or at the dragstrip, but you're paying more than twice as much for it.

How much more for a Taycan Turbo GT that can actually beat the Model S Plaid with Track Package? My guess is $40k, call it $270k total, give or take a few thousand. Of course, that's if they even offer the GT package/variant in the U.S.

From everything I've been hearing about the new Taycan, it sounds impressive, but it obviously comes at a price.
The U.S. is one of the biggest markets for Taycan so I’d be very surprised if they didn’t offer it here!

Reactions: buckets0fun