Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one really knows much if anything at all. The knowledge we have is what we read on the web so take it with a grain of salt…the only real evidence we have is when a Tesla executive responded to the former Top Gear host James May when he purchased a revised Model 3…he replied he should get the performance when it comes out. And then there’s the Aussie Tesla executive that stated the performance will be special as they left quite a bit on the table with the last version.

I I were you I’d wait…the MSP isn’t going anywhere, wait and see what Tesla comes up with!
We know it's coming with unique seats as seen in spy photos. Front and rear bumper covers are different as well, but we haven't seen them uncovered yet. Nice to see them differentiating performance models more - these changes will come to S/X/Y performance models eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sendit1 and JezzaE
What “misinformation” pray tell. Then stop responding to me. Problem solved. Apparently you can make up theories about why Tesla raises prices but I can’t question your unsupported unsubstantiated speculation? You’re the guy quoting m3p times after ripping out your seats and interior parts and running lightweight 18 inch wheels and not conveniently disclosing those facts right? (Or do I have you mixed up with someone else?). I have every right to post here. The fanboyism is strong in you.

Pulling out the passenger seat and rear seats took me 5 min (with power driver and the seat belt release tool) and netted an 11.33 et vs 11.41. Setting any record requires doing more than the next person.

As long as lightweight ETs aren't quoted as full weight street cars it's all good. No mistakes here in this fully gutted RS3.
1000071826.jpg

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I'm curious and would like to ask what is the general speculation of how much of a step up in power / acceleration the '24 M3P will have vs the 23 M3P.

It is my understanding that the '24 is a few hundred pounds heavier than the '23 because of thicker glass, and substantially more sound insulation, etc. so the power increase would have to be offset that much more.

Has Tesla said anything about the power increase being substantial? As I said, I am holding off on the Plaid because I like the feel of the 3 better.
I think the 2024 Model 3 LR is actually about 25 lbs lighter than the 2023 Model 3 LR. It says 4,030 lbs for the 2024 Model 3 LR but I forget what it said for the 2023 Model 3 LR. I thought it was something like 4,054 lbs.

Tesla has not said anything official about the Highland Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous at all. Everything is speculation right now.

My prediction is that everyone will be pleasantly surprised with it. It won’t be the tri-motor Plaid that some people are asking for but even a dual motor Model 3 could be really outstanding with just a few things upgraded.

Personally I don’t think it is coming out as soon as people think. It took over 6 months to bring Highland out after the first spy photos. I think it could be similar this time too. All just speculation though. Nobody knows yet.

IMG_2497.png

Reactions: Sendit1
What “misinformation” pray tell. Then stop responding to me. Problem solved. Apparently you can make up theories about why Tesla raises prices but I can’t question your unsupported unsubstantiated speculation? You’re the guy quoting m3p times after ripping out your seats and interior parts and running lightweight 18 inch wheels and not conveniently disclosing those facts right? (Or do I have you mixed up with someone else?). I have every right to post here. The fanboyism is strong in you.
I have painstakingly gone through what each modification did for my times in multiple posts. My video explicitly says exactly what it did stock, with lighter wheels, with heating the battery, and then what it did when I removed the interior.

Taking the interior out is trivial. Takes 15 minutes to take it out and put it all back together. If you are going through the effort to track the car there is no reason not to do it.

Yes, absolutely you have every right to post here as long as it is on topic which the majority of your recent posts have not been. Nobody is stopping you from posting. We just simply asked you to stay on topic which you have done in your last couple of posts. Problem solved.

I think the 2024 Model 3 LR is actually about 25 lbs lighter than the 2023 Model 3 LR. It says 4,030 lbs for the 2024 Model 3 LR but I forget what it said for the 2023 Model 3 LR. I thought it was something like 4,054 lbs.

Tesla has not said anything official about the Highland Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous at all. Everything is speculation right now.

My prediction is that everyone will be pleasantly surprised with it. It won’t be the tri-motor Plaid that some people are asking for but even a dual motor Model 3 could be really outstanding with just a few things upgraded.

Personally I don’t think it is coming out as soon as people think. It took over 6 months to bring Highland out after the first spy photos. I think it could be similar this time too. All just speculation though. Nobody knows yet.

View attachment 1021497
It might not need quite as long testing or they might have been testing it already with some parts, not all before Highland was released. My guess is announcement in Q2 and first customer shipments in Q3. Maybe China goes first again but if there's less changed here don't see why couldn't be a global launch on this one or close to it.

It is very possible it ends up being the exact same powertrain as before, and what makes it “special” will be the aero changes and seats and such. Hell they could even say they installed “performance bushings” by reusing the original model 3 bushings instead of the softer highland ones.
I think the fact they’ve submitted documents in Europe that it’ll have the 5D1 motor shows it’ll have a different rear motor. They had to do the same before they enabled adaptive / matrix headlights on the Highland and that came true. They’ve done the same for older models of 3 / Y for adaptive headlights which is how we know it’ll come to those cars at some point also.

I mean I guess nothing stopping them from changing their minds and refilling but seems unlikely. I think the reason the performance didn’t launch at the same time is the rear motor will be carbon wrapped and slightly different so they need time to test that. Think all the carbon wrapping only happens in the US but they’ll want that kit in China also I imagine.

Reactions: 12B4A
I think the fact they’ve submitted documents in Europe that it’ll have the 5D1 motor shows it’ll have a different rear motor. They had to do the same before they enabled adaptive / matrix headlights on the Highland and that came true. They’ve done the same for older models of 3 / Y for adaptive headlights which is how we know it’ll come to those cars at some point also.

I mean I guess nothing stopping them from changing their minds and refilling but seems unlikely. I think the reason the performance didn’t launch at the same time is the rear motor will be carbon wrapped and slightly different so they need time to test that. Think all the carbon wrapping only happens in the US but they’ll want that kit in China also I imagine.

That 5 month old VIN sleuthing of 3D3 front/5D1 rear still seems like the most plausible speculation.

Reactions: FastLaneJB

What does carbon wrapping do technically to allow more power? Thanks.

Thanks. Would be insane if they dropped that into the m3p.
I am not sure that it would be necessary. That motor is designed specifically for the 4,800+ lb Model S. With such a huge weight difference I don’t think that motor would actually help the Model 3.

There is such a thing as too much torque at the wheels. I honestly think they can get plenty of performance in a Model 3 without using the more expensive Plaid motor.

If the Model 3 Ludicrous runs 10.5 in the 1/4 mile then that would shock the world if it is below $60k too.

Last edited:
Doesn't allow more power, just allows it to spin faster. So, they could have a different gear ratio for more torque or a higher top speed.
No it doesn't. This is an Elon lie. The current Model 3P spins faster at 160 MPH than the Plaid at 200 MPH. Details in this thread and other places on TMC.

What it enables is a smaller rotor stator gap, which reduces back EMF, which maintains power with less voltage.