Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But is it worth paying someone to unmount and remount the tires to do a side to side rotation with a staggered setup? I don't think you'll get that much additional life out of them to justify the cost and time. Now, maybe a good road force balance might be worth it after 10k miles...
Why do you think a road force balance would be better than using all of the tread that toe in didn’t wipe off the (old) outside edges? Why at 10k miles?

Reactions: superflyrolla
Why do you think a road force balance would be better than using all of the tread that toe in didn’t wipe off the (old) outside edges? Why at 10k miles?
Oh, sorry, I meant, there might be some benefits of going through the trouble of unmounting and remounting the tires (with a staggered setup) to rotate them. I.e. you get another road force balance, in case you lost a weight or something.

Otherwise, I can't really see why you'd do it. It's got to cost at least $150 to do four wheel mounting / balancing . I'm not sure it will extend the tire lifespan that much to pay back the time and cost.

Reactions: CCopperpot
People always say it falls on its face. How is trapping 120 mph falling on its face?
Because it's quick to 60 and then leisurely makes it's way to 116-117mph at the quarter mile.

Look at the 60-130 times...it's not even competitive with BMW/Audis slowest performance cars or a decade old M3

From Car and Driver
Model 3 Performance(post OTA boost) - 13.1s
Audi RS3 - 11.7s
Toyota Supra - 11.4
2015 BMW M3 - 10.6s

2023 BMW M2 - 10.2s
2021 BMW M3 - 9.7s

But it depends on what you care as a metric...if you care about 0-60 then yes of course, the M3P punches above it's weight

Last edited:
Sure, 120 in the quarter is in the range of what we used to call a “fast car.”

The idea that this negates the whole thought of these cars “falling on their face” is silly. You can feel the car stop pulling hard at ~45mph. That’s what people mean when they say it falls on its face.

Personally, I’m hoping they stop focusing on acceleration and start focusing on driving dynamics. These cars are already fast, I want engagement and feedback. That’s where the Lucid is clearly better.

Reactions: terranx
There’s also nothing wrong with using what was the best EV the world had ever seen as the benchmark to improve upon either. Not quite sure how else to think about it, to be honest…
Maybe I didn’t word that correctly enough.

Tearing down a lucid makes you wonder why they didn’t update the vehicle to follow the revisions made by tesla. When going through you find an architecture that more resembles (copies) a nose cone S vs a Raven or Refresh. Old, outdated practices and components.

But I suppose that comes from the poaching of legacy employees and not those from Raven or Refresh project.

Reactions: Sellout
Maybe I didn’t word that correctly enough.

Tearing down a lucid makes you wonder why they didn’t update the vehicle to follow the revisions made by tesla. When going through you find an architecture that more resembles (copies) a nose cone S vs a Raven or Refresh. Old, outdated practices and components.

But I suppose that comes from the poaching of legacy employees and not those from Raven or Refresh project.

I think you're still not wording correctly. It's probably even more impressive that they benchmarked a nose cone S and made a product thats built better and drives better than the latest refresh/Raven S

I think you're still not wording correctly. It's probably even more impressive that they benchmarked a nose cone S and made a product thats built better and drives better than the latest refresh/Raven S
Also that car development takes a ****ing long time and the nose cone was probably the then current model when they started working on the Air

Not to mention Lucid’s motor design is completely their own and far beyond anything Tesla makes.

The guts of the lucid, followed the insanely complicated nose cone S and none of the revisions. The revisions simplified the wiring, electronics, and physical parts.

If you disassembled the interior of both a nose cone S and the lucid, you’d be hard pressed to find many differences in components/routing/placement of said components.

Aka 12yr old tech, with a bit more battery and motor/inverter.

Along with a 25yr old German car’s handling, to which I have no beef with as the M5 was a decent car to huck around.

Back to highland P… no noticeable power bump, no change in cooling capabilities, seats and aero different than non P.

Along with a 25yr old German car’s handling, to which I have no beef with as the M5 was a decent car to huck around.
Lucid’s current cars are far more capable than any M5. Their handling is modern Porsche level. Model S on the other hand is probably a little bit worse than anything newer than an e34 as far as handling goes

The wiring may resemble the nose cone S, but I think you attribute that to the wrong reasons. They’re similar because the original S and the Air followed the general principles used in legacy cars rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

I think you also overestimate the degree to which the raven changed.

Old, outdated practices and components.
The motor architecture and packaging in the Luicd is next level and nothing like you've ever seen in a Tesla. It's phenomenally compact and innovative.
(And don't forget that Lucid has a faster car in a straight line and around a corner than any Tesla ever made)

Watch this and tell me that all Lucid did was copy a Model S:

Because it's quick to 60 and then leisurely makes it's way to 116-117mph at the quarter mile.

Look at the 60-130 times...it's not even competitive with BMW/Audis slowest performance cars or a decade old M3

From Car and Driver
Model 3 Performance(post OTA boost) - 13.1s
Audi RS3 - 11.7s
Toyota Supra - 11.4
2015 BMW M3 - 10.6s

2023 BMW M2 - 10.2s
2021 BMW M3 - 9.7s

But it depends on what you care as a metric...if you care about 0-60 then yes of course, the M3P punches above it's weight
I only tried the 60-130 mph at the track once but it certainly seems faster than what you are quoting. I know it is downhill but I am just not going to do 130 mph on the street.

IMG_2825.jpeg

The motor architecture and packaging in the Luicd is next level and nothing like you've ever seen in a Tesla. It's phenomenally compact and innovative.
(And don't forget that Lucid has a faster car in a straight line and around a corner than any Tesla ever made)
The step down gears and differential is the particularly innovative part; they're pretty interesting. The problem with Lucid is that the car that outperforms the Model S Plaid costs $250k compared to a Model S Plaid for $90k. Also, Lucid lost $516,500 for every car they sold in 2023. Lucid is only in business as long as their sugar daddy, the Saudis, decide they should stay in business.

Sure, 120 in the quarter is in the range of what we used to call a “fast car.”

The idea that this negates the whole thought of these cars “falling on their face” is silly. You can feel the car stop pulling hard at ~45mph. That’s what people mean when they say it falls on its face.

Personally, I’m hoping they stop focusing on acceleration and start focusing on driving dynamics. These cars are already fast, I want engagement and feedback. That’s where the Lucid is clearly better.
Mine keeps pulling hard to about 95 mph. Battery temperature is pretty much everything for top end acceleration with the Model 3 Performance.

This was with a full interior. Just lighter wheels and heating the battery.

IMG_2826.png

The step down gears and differential is the particularly innovative part; they're pretty interesting. The problem with Lucid is that the car that outperforms the Model S Plaid costs $250k compared to a Model S Plaid for $90k. Also, Lucid lost $516,500 for every car they sold in 2023. Lucid is only in business as long as their sugar daddy, the Saudis, decide they should stay in business.
For $250k the Saphire needs to look like a 1/4 mil car, not an old man sedan. So glad I sold CCIV at $60.

Mine keeps pulling hard to about 95 mph. Battery temperature is pretty much everything for top end acceleration with the Model 3 Performance.

This was with a full interior. Just lighter wheels and heating the battery.

View attachment 1024980
The acceleration line on that image looks like it’s falling on its face right around 50mph to me…