Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The acceleration line on that image looks like it’s falling on its face right around 50mph to me…
Constant torque ends at about 50 mph because it has a fixed gear. Power peaks at 55 mph and then yes it falls off after that.

Here is a C8 Corvette running similar times. Notice how it falls off at similar speeds? The biggest difference is that multi gear cars can hold almost constant power from 2nd gear on while EVs need to have constant power throughout their rev range to have equal acceleration as the ICE equivalent.

Yes the Model 3 holds constant torque to much higher rpms than most ICE cars can. That is why the Model 3s midrange is so good. However, it doesn’t fall off as much as people say it does if you heat the battery.

IMG_2827.png

I understand all the reasons why it does what it does. It’s still “falling on its face” and that’s a really unfortunate shortcoming in what is otherwise a pretty great car.

The C8 is also one of those cars that feels like it falls on its face after a great launch. They’re just not as fast as the Initial acceleration would make you expect if you were coming out of something with more top end.

Last edited:
I understand all the reasons why it does what it does. It’s still “falling on its face” and that’s a really unfortunate shortcoming in what is otherwise a pretty great car.

The C8 is also one of those cars that feels like it falls on its face after a great launch. They’re just not as fast as the Initial acceleration would make you expect if you were coming out of something with more top end.
I guess my question is if there is any car that runs similar 1/4 mile times to the Model 3 or C8 Corvette that doesn’t “fall on its face”?

Reactions: Lindenwood
So why put a Ludicrous badge on the back then?
I'm hoping that Tesla has a base spec Performance that they slide in under the $55k limit for the tax credit, and then have a "ludicrous" package that adds better wheels, tires, suspension, and maybe brakes, and also tweaks the computer settings to allow a little more performance from the motors. The ludicrous package, like the track package, could be added later.

I guess my question is if there is any car that runs similar 1/4 mile times to the Model 3 or C8 Corvette that doesn’t “fall on its face”?
My 2 cents, The back half of the M3P is pretty comparable (4 seconds), within a tenth and only a few mph to other ICE vehicles IMO....I think the correct wording sound be, it just "doesn't pull as hard as the first 60 mph"...of course it doesn't because it doesn't have the plaid motors.

Let's move on from the falls on it's face comments. And if this new M3P picks up any additional 3 mph on the back half, we can all sleep better at night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-25-15-99_dff95c6d4a5d8afc55c951a07137aa3b.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-25-15-99_dff95c6d4a5d8afc55c951a07137aa3b.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-34-22-95_dff95c6d4a5d8afc55c951a07137aa3b.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-05-21-34-22-95_dff95c6d4a5d8afc55c951a07137aa3b.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Not really, because cars that run similar times are going to accelerate similarly. Not trying to be difficult here, let me explain.

A C6 Z06 can run 0-60 in 3.5 or so, and the quarter mile in the mid-low 11s at 124-126 pretty reliably. They’ve gone quite a bit faster, but ringers are ringers. On average they’re slower out of the hole than we are by a significant margin and they’re trapping 6-9 mph faster after traveling the same distance. That car doesn’t fall on its face, obviously. Our acceleration ramp is almost opposite of what it feels like to drive one of those.

Anyway, the new car is going to be interesting with the new motor. I’m really looking forward to test driving one. I’m hoping for some better top end but not expecting anything huge.

I only tried the 60-130 mph at the track once but it certainly seems faster than what you are quoting. I know it is downhill but I am just not going to do 130 mph on the street.

View attachment 1024979
To be clear my 60-130 mph time is not that much faster than several other times. I think the 13+ second 60-130 mph time is not reasonable for this car. With an optimized car low 11 seconds for 60-130 mph is what it is capable of with some weight reductions.

IMG_2832.png

Reactions: Lindenwood
It's all about the dramatic fall off after the 0-60. My acceleration boosted Model 3 LR felt faster at higher speeds than my P. Of course it wasn't, or it was the same, but the difference between the launch and a highway pull wasn't nearly as dramatic. People get used to acceleration, it almost becomes the norm. Differences are what is felt and yeah, the 3P isn't slow by any means on the highway but it sure doesn't feel fast.

• New picture of ludicrous badge
  • Anecdote about 20 Fremont engineers sent to Shanghai to help fix suspension issues and motor integration (!)
  • Reiteration of launching in NA and China in the same month (May)

It's all about the dramatic fall off after the 0-60. My acceleration boosted Model 3 LR felt faster at higher speeds than my P. Of course it wasn't, or it was the same, but the difference between the launch and a highway pull wasn't nearly as dramatic. People get used to acceleration, it almost becomes the norm. Differences are what is felt and yeah, the 3P isn't slow by any means on the highway but it sure doesn't feel fast.
I had hoped that this tangent would die with my last post redirecting to the new car, but yes. This is the thing I have an issue with, and I’m amazed that so many people seem to disagree. It’s as if people really have never driven cars that are actually fast before their Model 3. Maybe that’s the issue? I’ve driven and ridden in a lot of incredible cars that most people don’t get to try out.

The acceleration in the Highland LR felt faster than my 3P but we all know it’s not. The way a car feels does matter, and it’s ok to have an opinion, people.

This car accelerates to 40mph like a supercar, when that acceleration doesn’t continue, it’s rather normal to feel as if it “fell on its face”. *sugar*, that C6 I mentioned accelerates like a bat out of hell all the way to 170mph (probably higher, I never tried. It gets to 170 REALLY quickly) and would lose to a 3P on a drag strip more often than not, but it would be ridiculous to claim that the Tesla is the faster car.

That's the thing, the 3 will pull a Hellcat, Z06, etc. stoplight to stoplight, but try doing a 60-roll with a Scatpack or stock Mustang GT and it doesn't stand a change. Punches way above it's class at low speeds, but is destroyed at higher speeds by anything with more than 400 horsepower.