Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like the price isn't the major hurdle in getting a Plaid for many folks...its the size. Not everyone wants a car that big. Rather have something relatively light and nimble. I love the Model 3 feel compared to anything else in the Tesla lineup.
Sure, that's valid. it is an entirely different car and is certainly larger and heavier, but the ultimate cornering grip is higher than the 3. The Plaid is an ICBM that handles great for what it is, but if you're focused on Autocross or hitting the apex of every turn on your commute and don't care about having double the power, then the 3 is a solid choice. After owning my M3P two days shy of a year and getting into a Plaid, there is absolutely no going back. It is a MUCH more comfortable, smooth, quiet, feature-rich car, and the day-to-day driving experience makes the 3 feel like a tin can economy car in comparison.

The top trim - M3 Competition X drive - is 3.4 sec 0-60 and 503 HP. How is that winning? My 2021 M3 LR with AB and the 82 kWh Panasonic pack would give it a run for its money…

It’a also $100k lol.
"With launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi, the quickest-ever 3-series leaps to 30 mph in 1.0 second. The scoot to 60 mph takes 2.8 seconds, and the quarter-mile passes in 11.0 seconds at 124 mph."

Reactions: SigNC and phantasms
The top trim - M3 Competition X drive - is 3.4 sec 0-60 and 503 HP. How is that winning? My 2021 M3 LR with AB and the 82 kWh Panasonic pack would give it a run for its money…

It’a also $100k lol.
Car and Driver says it does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 11 flat at 124 MPH.

It starts at $85k and was $109k as tested by Car and Driver. $8,500 of the extra was for carbon ceramic brakes which probably made a small difference to the acceleration times. I think Tesla could beat those times with a new Model 3 Performance for far less, maybe even keep it to $55k to qualify for the tax credits. I don't know if Tesla will do this or not, but I think they could.

"With launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi, the quickest-ever 3-series leaps to 30 mph in 1.0 second. The scoot to 60 mph takes 2.8 seconds, and the quarter-mile passes in 11.0 seconds at 124 mph."
That’s a special edition limited trim for $120k. And what makes you think the Ludicrous won’t be able to do 2.8 seconds? The old M3P could do 3 seconds…

It starts at $85k and was $109k as tested by Car and Driver. $8,500 of the extra was for carbon ceramic brakes which probably made a small difference to the acceleration times. I think Tesla could beat those times with a new Model 3 Performance for far less, maybe even keep it to $55k to qualify for the tax credits. I don't know if Tesla will do this or not, but I think they could.
Yes, not sure why we are comparing a limited edition M3 that costs *twice* as much. Any M3 you see will lose to the M3P and Ludicrous other than *maybe* this limited M3 variant for $120k.

This just in: A BMW 7 series is a luxury car and a 3 series is an affordable entry model.

Breaking news: An Audi rs3 is not the same as an S8.

These stories and more at the top of the hour.
Most of the talk here centers around straight-line performance, and IF the new P/Ludicrous/whatever does not qualify for tax credits, pricing will be $10K away from a slightly used Plaid that is(in my opinion) a MUCH better car overall that has proven over and over again to deliver on performance. Hell, 2022 LR's are $50K with plenty of warranty left. Different cars for different folks, but I honestly don't see the 3P coming in under $55K, and the slight changes, for me, do not make it attractive.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Most of the well spoken people that are in here track(roadcourse/autoX) their model 3. The 3 has never been a drag strip monster, it falls on its face.

I’ve posted what the new highland P will have and laughed at the pipe dreams within the echo chamber.
People always say it falls on its face. How is trapping 120 mph falling on its face? I have run down TrackHawks, Audis, and Corvettes. Nobody says those cars fall on their face.

For the price the Tesla Model 3 Performance holds its own as long as you set it up properly. Watch this whole video and see how much more expensive cars aren’t always faster than it.

Pilot sport 4S's are not directional. This is what comes on the Plaid and the Model 3P, so it's relevant here. Rotate your Model 3P tires people, side to side and front to back.
Good point, I guess they aren't! I thought the previous tires were directional.

But is it worth paying someone to unmount and remount the tires to do a side to side rotation with a staggered setup? I don't think you'll get that much additional life out of them to justify the cost and time. Now, maybe a good road force balance might be worth it after 10k miles...

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Here in the UK we're less drag strip ET and more circuit lap time. So I know I'm looking at things slightly differently.
We're struggling to find events to enter our M3Ps in competitively because the dinosaur ICE boys hate us beating them.
I have won against ICE cars which have had $300k+ spent on them. No joke.
It's going to be even worse if and when we get this new beast.
What else are you going to do with it?
How many of you are actually going to go up against a new BMW M3 anywhere? For money? ET slips?
A lot of the talk here is the stuff I hear down the pub or on kiddies car forums.
I do get the whole 1/4 mile thing and I know it's important, but it's not the be-all and end-all.
Let's get real and wait until we see some real data from a production car on a real track.
If it's crap, I'll be the first to say so.
:)